Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Most requested features list

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

WllXM

May 4, 2022
London
Just thinking of compiling all the features and improvements you would like to see on your Tesla.

I'm thinking of dividing this into two categories :
1 - Updates list : for 'small', i.e: features that would be relatively easy for Tesla to implement through minor software updates, just requiring a bit of spare time & motivation
2 - Moonshot : highly desirable features that would require much more commitment or somewhat against Elon's wishes - call it Wishful thinking if you want, but it is here to gauge user desirability.

Ultimately it's a way to assess popularity of some features, and also to see if we can come up with great ideas where Tesla is lacking.

The purpose of this is also not to assess if/why a certain feature is not being rolled out due to specific local regulations, but rather to see if you would be interested in getting it nevertheless.
Of course feel free to discuss if a desired feature can be achieved through a workaround. (But avoiding as much as possible Third party paying software).

I know it's sometimes a collection of small things that can make your driving experience better.

I'll start, and maybe the mods can make this post a Wiki later:

Updates List
  • Alert if phone key is left on the wireless charger before exiting vehicle
  • View/download recorded Sentry / dashcam clips on Mobile App in addition to Live view.
  • Quick shortcuts : i.e : being able to scroll through radios stations using steering wheel buttons rather than having to use the touchscreen when driving
  • Pick up / Hang up phone calls using the left steering wheel button
  • Ability to customise or invert left / right steering wheel buttons functionality
  • Add B pillar cameras view (to gauge narrow spaces & kerbs)
  • Bird's eye view / 360° parking cameras
  • Add desired End charging time for optimised battery charging so the car can work backwards from there to determine the appropriate start time
  • Add a bit of AI in voice commands (know which person & number to call when it's the 200th time I'm saying the same name instead of asking me to clarify each time on touchscreen)
Between the two 😅
  • Smart summon not limited to 6m in UNECE countries. [FSD full merge for EU at some point....]
Moonshot
  • Apple CarPlay
  • Apple CarKey compatibility (not using BT but UWB) - alternatively, being able to emulate a NFC card in Apple Wallet to unlock the car using B pillar.
  • Waze integration
  • WhatsApp integration in Messages
  • (Free) LiDAR Retrofit for FSD 😁
  • V2L / V2H integrations

Over to you!

Last edited:
Updates
Matrix headlights ie follow the road
Enable an alarm beep when sentry starts recording
Speed camera locations like waze
Allow mirrors to stay folded when selected instead of opening them again at 30

Wishful updates
Carplay or at least apple music integration

Reactions: Neilio
  • Power Frunk / Easier Frunk access (tap phone / keycard on the Tesla logo? Add a kick opener?)
  • Boot kick opener
  • True Matrix Headlights
  • True 360 camera view (not just vector based)
  • Option for S/X-style binacle / larger screen / tilt into the Model Y (Model Y+ SKU; maybe with air suspension or cooled seats as well. For those that like the gear of the X but don't want the size / doors of the X)
  • App Store, so you don't have to specifically wait for them to bless you with certain services and allow for platform agnosticity
  • Offline voice control (Google's voice
  • Animated indicators; don't care - I still love to see them on VWs and Jags.

Reactions: Sparky750
  • Option to enable/disable using peak grid power via charge port when heating cabin/defrosting on a chilly morning. Not everyone has a home charger which supports schedules.
  • Adjustment for auto-wiper rain sensitivity.
  • Adjustment for auto-dimming level for rear-view & wing mirrors.

All the usual ones, plus ...

heading to that time of year again - not having to preheat the car for 40 minutes just to be able to open the doors on a very frosty morning - and, allowing all preheat energy to come from the battery (that was put in there at off peak rate) rather than either having to unplug the charge cable first or the preheat power coming from the grid at peak electricity prices and often peak carbon intensity.

re LiDAR - I work with both LiDAR and camera based monitoring systems. Not withstanding poor visibility conditions, object detection/perception is fairly similar between both technologies. I suspect that most of problems that people experience are to do with prediction, planning and driver policy rather than detection/perception, so would affect LiDAR vehicles too - imho.

• Equal volume between audio sources or ability to configure. To stop the blast when switching from Spotify to radio
  • ability to reorder audio favourites with respect to scroll wheel
  • For Spotify and USB remember previous play list/position
  • Scrolling text for audio and widened text field for various audio screens
  • Ability to display selected trip meters on main screen (business mileage logging)
  • relocate trip reset buttons from hidden bottom of display to same box as trip meters
  • allow permanent disablement of Lane departure warnings
  • Allow various screen magnifications/font sizes
  • relocate navigation prompts to animation screen or lower half of map so that it does not obscure where you are going
  • as battery runs low highlight better on battery meter, orange red etc is on the smallest segment when the battery is low
  • ability to select number of indicator repeats eg from 3 to 5 gives you chance to check blind spot cameras before they disapear

Fixes
  • Auto dipping headlights
  • matrix lights
  • phantom breaking
  • proper resign of GUI

All the usual ones, plus ...

heading to that time of year again - not having to preheat the car for 40 minutes just to be able to open the doors on a very frosty morning - and, allowing all preheat energy to come from the battery (that was put in there at off peak rate) rather than either having to unplug the charge cable first or the preheat power coming from the grid at peak electricity prices and often peak carbon intensity.

re LiDAR - I work with both LiDAR and camera based monitoring systems. Not withstanding poor visibility conditions, object detection/perception is fairly similar between both technologies. I suspect that most of problems that people experience are to do with prediction, planning and driver policy rather than detection/perception, so would affect LiDAR vehicles too - imho.

This will be my first winter with a tesla does it really take 40 minutes for it to preheat? 🤦‍♂️ I'll have to check my automation settings in tessie 😆

FFW and RWD audio in USB playback via voice commands eg "back xx seconds" "forward xx minutes". When listening to an audio book / recorded podcast this would be so useful!!!
USB audio resume function. For some reason saying "USB" only half the time makes the music player go to the USB. Doesn't resume the track, doesn't auto-play the track. "USB" is recongnised as audio command - but half the time it does nothing! Very odd!
FFW and RWD buttons on the screen
A display that can fit a song name longer than 15 characters without scrolling back and forth - like jeez - the interface is so bad they can't fit a long song name on the display at once?!

Third party chargers and the ability to precondition the battery for fast charging.

Start and stop times for home charging, we get three hours free electricity, I want to start charging at 8:55 and stop at 12:01 regardless of SOC most of the time.

Use left thumb wheel to change wiper speed after tapping button on stalk instead of having to use touch screen. Ditto with headlights. (they do this for S and X so why not 3 and Y)

Traffic aware cruise that ignores parked cars, like most radar cruise control.

Reactions: Ackman999
Just thinking of compiling all the features and improvements you would like to see on your Tesla.

I'm thinking of dividing this into two categories :
1 - Updates list : for 'small', i.e: features that would be relatively easy for Tesla to implement through minor software updates, just requiring a bit of spare time & motivation
2 - Moonshot : highly desirable features that would require much more commitment or somewhat against Elon's wishes - call it Wishful thinking if you want, but it is here to gauge user desirability.

Ultimately it's a way to assess popularity of some features, and also to see if we can come up with great ideas where Tesla is lacking.

The purpose of this is also not to assess if/why a certain feature is not being rolled out due to specific local regulations, but rather to see if you would be interested in getting it nevertheless.
Of course feel free to discuss if a desired feature can be achieved through a workaround. (But avoiding as much as possible Third party paying software).

I know it's sometimes a collection of small things that can make your driving experience better.

I'll start, and maybe the mods can make this post a Wiki later:

Updates List
  • Alert if phone key is left on the wireless charger before exiting vehicle
  • View/download recorded Sentry / dashcam clips on Mobile App in addition to Live view.
  • Quick shortcuts : i.e : being able to scroll through radios stations using steering wheel buttons rather than having to use the touchscreen when driving
  • Pick up / Hang up phone calls using the left steering wheel button
  • Ability to customise or invert left / right steering wheel buttons functionality
  • Add B pillar cameras view (to gauge narrow spaces & kerbs)
  • Bird's eye view / 360° parking cameras
  • Add desired End charging time for optimised battery charging so the car can work backwards from there to determine the appropriate start time
  • Add a bit of AI in voice commands (know which person & number to call when it's the 200th time I'm saying the same name instead of asking me to clarify each time on touchscreen)
Between the two 😅
  • Smart summon not limited to 6m in UNECE countries. [FSD full merge for EU at some point....]
Moonshot
  • Apple CarPlay
  • Apple CarKey compatibility (not using BT but UWB) - alternatively, being able to emulate a NFC card in Apple Wallet to unlock the car using B pillar.
  • Waze integration
  • WhatsApp integration in Messages
  • (Free) LiDAR Retrofit for FSD 😁
  • V2L / V2H integrations

Over to you!
Air suspension option for M3/Y

Reactions: Kenners
This will be my first winter with a tesla does it really take 40 minutes for it to preheat? 🤦‍♂️ I'll have to check my automation settings in tessie 😆
Sometimes, but you never know until you try, so you often end up going it unnecessarily.

A typical hard frost can normally be cleared by banging the door handle with your fist (having previously treated the rubbers with something like gumi-pfledge(sp?) to prevent the window sticking to the rubber (but its not as successful as keeping the bottom part of window/top of door from sticking)), but a 'wet frost', eg, rain or lots of condensation (we get that quite often where we are) the night before, then a sudden overnight freeze, will stick handle hard and take 20-40 minutes on max defrost to clear - from what I can see, water puddled behind the door handle, sits in the little well, and acts like glue - even though area gets WD40 as per the manual.

This thread more OT for this discussion :

Reactions: Sparky750