Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Most tempting feature with the model update

What new feature is most tempting to upgrade?

• New adaptive suspension

Votes: 36 22.1%
  • Better range

Votes: 91 55.8%
  • Getting an upgrade to the new HW / FSD

Votes: 14 8.6%
  • Bye Bye Shudder

Votes: 12 7.4%
  • I like new shiny things

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other

Votes: 3 1.8%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The better range and faster V3 supercharging would be the primary benefits for us - and taking Tesla's offer of free Ludicrous mode negates the range benefits, since upgrading from a 100D to a new Performance model isn't that large of a range improvement.

Also, Musk already announced plans to introduce another pack upgrade next year - with 2-3X longer lifetime (which would likely mean slower range loss) and those packs would likely support the full V3 supercharging rate.

Unless Tesla can come up with a better offer for an upgrade path to a new Long Range S/X, we'll pass on this upgrade.

The better range and faster V3 supercharging would be the primary benefits for us - and taking Tesla's offer of free Ludicrous mode negates the range benefits, since upgrading from a 100D to a new Performance model isn't that large of a range improvement.

Also, Musk already announced plans to introduce another pack upgrade next year - with 2-3X longer lifetime (which would likely mean slower range loss) and those packs would likely support the full V3 supercharging rate.

Unless Tesla can come up with a better offer for an upgrade path to a new Long Range S/X, we'll pass on this upgrade.

All great points - esp the fact that there is likely another upgrade pack next year. The battery has definitely been the Achilles heel for me with my MX

Glad I was on this forum to get that insight.

I think this may be the last opportunity to get the larger driver screen and the vertical middle screen. The interior refresh mimicking the 3's interior is not one I am looking forward to. The vertical screen in x and s really set them apart in a distinctive way.

Will be interesting to see where they go with this - you would think logically they would want to make the S/X different given their premier nature (eg price) but I wonder if Telsa's drive for survival will make them choose the more cost conscious build everything the same and get economies of scale route.

As it is, I think they have an interior problem as more luxury brands come on to the market.

Knocking on wood here, but my 3 year old Model X has no shudder issues and has never had them. Only issues we’ve ever had with the car is a ‘clunk’ noise that turned out to be a bad air spring module and was replaced. The rear seat pop-out cup holder is currently broke and will be fixed on our next service visit. Two small tears in the rear seats. The material is so thin. After referencing some of Elon’s tweets from the past about fixing the issue and all that, Tesla reluctantly offered their final solution... And that was to have an upholstery person repair the small tears and they would reimburse us. So we did just that... One of the repairs can’t be seen at all and the other only if examined closely. Total cost of the repairs was $90 and reimbursed.

The car has been great. It does have a few flaws like paint rubbing off on a few of the FWD contact points... Value should still hold well enough that we’ll be able to trade in or sell it late next year and cover most or all of the Model Y we’ve ordered. I don’t know if I’ll buy another X even though we love it. Fully intend to own the Y, the new Roadster and hopefully either the Pickup or perhaps a large SUV built on the Tesla pickup platform at some point.

I think this may be the last opportunity to get the larger driver screen and the vertical middle screen. The interior refresh mimicking the 3's interior is not one I am looking forward to. The vertical screen in x and s really set them apart in a distinctive way.

Agreed, i do hope they don't just copy/paste the M3/MY interior, the flagship models should stand out and lets face it when the MY comes to town why would you spend twice or triple on an s/x when you could have a 3 or y that look identical but smaller....

in my opinion would be a bad decision on Tesla's part :(

Knocking on wood here, but my 3 year old Model X has no shudder issues and has never had them. Only issues we’ve ever had with the car is a ‘clunk’ noise that turned out to be a bad air spring module and was replaced. The rear seat pop-out cup holder is currently broke and will be fixed on our next service visit. Two small tears in the rear seats. The material is so thin. After referencing some of Elon’s tweets from the past about fixing the issue and all that, Tesla reluctantly offered their final solution... And that was to have an upholstery person repair the small tears and they would reimburse us. So we did just that... One of the repairs can’t be seen at all and the other only if examined closely. Total cost of the repairs was $90 and reimbursed.

The car has been great. It does have a few flaws like paint rubbing off on a few of the FWD contact points... Value should still hold well enough that we’ll be able to trade in or sell it late next year and cover most or all of the Model Y we’ve ordered. I don’t know if I’ll buy another X even though we love it. Fully intend to own the Y, the new Roadster and hopefully either the Pickup or perhaps a large SUV built on the Tesla pickup platform at some point.

You got them to cover the tears on the leather seats?!?! what kind of evil negotiating genius are you???

I agree with this 100%. I do not like the horizontal screen of the M3, nor do I like the lack of screen behind the steering wheel. I don't want to have to look down and to the right in order to check my speed. If the refreshed MX has the M3 interior I will most likely not be buying another as my next vehicle.

Last edited:
You got them to cover the tears on the leather seats?!?! what kind of evil negotiating genius are you???

Believe me, it took lots of pushing on my part on multiple occasions. Even showed them Elon’s tweets from the past where he said that seat material would be updated with backing layer to make it more robust and those with current (at the time) seats would have their seats/upholstery upgraded for free. I think since the repairs were so small and less than $100, they just agreed to pay it so I would quit harassing them. Keep in mind they quit offering the perforated seats for a while because they were extra fragile. They brought the perforated back after they finally updated the PVC material to be thicker or better reinforced. Although it seems to be gone again with the latest update.

Looking at current resale on our P90D, it will still cost me $55K after taxes, incentives and all the dust settles to get a new P model. The included Ludicrous option is really nice and I’d like the increased range and new suspension, but I’m not so sure I want to spend that much money to get what is essentially the same car. I’ll keep thinking about it... Kinda tempted, but just not feeling like I need to do it. Full self driving doesn’t interest me right now. Maybe in a few more years with AP/HW 5.0 and it’s working great 99.9% of the time and all road conditions.

Reactions: theonetheonly
I guess while I’m at it, can someone tell me if the seat backs of the 2nd row bench, included with the 5 and 7 seat options, have ability to recline? That’s one of my biggest complaints about the 2nd row in our X is the funky seats just tip back, the whole seat. Meh... If I bought another X, I’d go 7 seater where they all fold flat.

I guess while I’m at it, can someone tell me if the seat backs of the 2nd row bench, included with the 5 and 7 seat options, have ability to recline? That’s one of my biggest complaints about the 2nd row in our X is the funky seats just tip back, the whole seat. Meh... If I bought another X, I’d go 7 seater where they all fold flat.

2nd row seats can move for more or less leg room @ 3rd row but cant recline nor fold flat. I heard the 1st gen of model X can be fold flat but then they changed the design.

Yes, in the 5 and 7-seat (fold-flat version), the seats can recline slightly, as well as fold flat.

It's mentioned on page 26 of the users manual: https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/model_x_owners_manual_north_america_en.pdf

2nd row seats can move for more or less leg room @ 3rd row but cant recline nor fold flat. I heard the 1st gen of model X can be fold flat but then they changed the design.

What are you smoking? Third row folds flat, does in our first-gen X, still does in the latest version. Anyone who told you otherwise is totally wrong.

I know the 2nd row bench seats move forward and back and that the seat backs can be adjusted somewhat. Although they don’t move in the 5-seat config as they’re mounted all the way back to maximize leg room. I guess I was looking for more of a definitive answer as to weather or not they recline back. The owners manual is not clear, just states that they can be adjusted and I have not sat in one to try it. Our local showroom has a new Model X (well, new as of 6 months ago), but it’s a 6 seat config and the monopost seats are the same as in our first-gen x, just without the perforated material and no more glossy seat backs. If the seat backs can be reclined the same as the monopost seats, that would be great... I just don’t like how the monopost seats tip the whole seat.

Reactions: ohmman