Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Most will hate this question...[is there a way to play exhaust sounds when I accelerate?]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All my life I've owned muscle cars, and made the switch to my M3 AWD a few months ago. Everything is perfect, however I'm missing the exhaust sounds of my old cars. Is there an app/program I can open that will play exhaust sounds as I accelerate?? There are some on the App Store but they are only compatible with the mechanics of a regular gas car. Free or paid is fine with me thank you!!

There are multiple kits available that use speed and acceleration to make noise, but they are expensive. Here are a few:

Upvote 1
All my life I've owned muscle cars, and made the switch to my M3 AWD a few months ago. Everything is perfect, however I'm missing the exhaust sounds of my old cars. Is there an app/program I can open that will play exhaust sounds as I accelerate?? There are some on the App Store but they are only compatible with the mechanics of a regular gas car. Free or paid is fine with me thank you!!

What you want is not much different than when (for example) BMW changed their cars to add fake exhaust sounds to many of their models. That sound was more piped into the car cabin so the occupant could hear it, vs trying to pump it outside the car, but pretty much same thing (fake sounds).

Upvote 0
Before the NHTSA recall, the Boombox feature can play a sound on loop even when the car is driving, but it does not sound right because it is the same sound looping (not tied to actual car acceleration). After the recall, Boombox only works when parked, so even that is no longer an option.
NHTSA Issues Another Recall Related To Tesla's Boombox Feature

Upvote 0
The funny thing is that people absolutely hate it when manufacturers pump fake noise into ICE cars. The new Honda Civic Type R is an example. Sounds horrible and fake in R+ mode. BMW does symphonic noises in their EV's and Ford does some weird noise with the Mach E but at the end of they day it's all artificial. You have moved into the future. Embrace it, don't look back.

Upvote 1
People have become accustomed to loud sounds equaling power.

I was told a story once, probably apocryphal, but it was by a b-school professor. Apparently Hoover, the vacuum maker was having issues with sales, due to its vacuum cleaners being noisier than the competition, and the competition were selling their vacuums on how quiet they were.

Then one of their marketing folks came up with the idea to market their vacuums as having the Hoover "sound of power"! Turning what was a negative attribute into a positive and sales took off.

So, we've been conditioned into thinking loud is powerful, even though we know excess sound energy is also wasted energy.

Upvote 0
The funny thing is that people absolutely hate it when manufacturers pump fake noise into ICE cars. The new Honda Civic Type R is an example. Sounds horrible and fake in R+ mode. BMW does symphonic noises in their EV's and Ford does some weird noise with the Mach E but at the end of they day it's all artificial. You have moved into the future. Embrace it, don't look back.
I spent an afternoon in a pre-release version of a Mach-E back in February of '21. That fake exhaust noise was ridiculous. It did not sound like any exhaust I heard.

Now my wife's SLK 350 (R172) exhaust sound with the top down is awesome. I think Mercedes fine tuned it so.

Reactions: ODWms
Upvote 0
I've thought for some time that somebody who developed a really good app, that used the phone speed data and through bluetooth played the sound of your choice through the speakers would make a killing.

For .99 unlock another genre of cars- 90s Formula 1, 60s Muscle, etc. Some people would love it.

I love my M3P, but I do miss the sound from my Boss 302 Laguna Seca!

Upvote 0
What you want is not much different than when (for example) BMW changed their cars to add fake exhaust sounds to many of their models. That sound was more piped into the car cabin so the occupant could hear it, vs trying to pump it outside the car, but pretty much same thing (fake sounds).
At least bmw (and I remember the soundaktor on my vw) actually had an engine and exhaust!!! Lol it’s not even on the same level adding fake sounds to an ev.

Reactions: ElectricIAC
Upvote 0