Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MOT - "Don't come here again"!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just matter of factly. Like...the vehicle passed, however we had trouble as it did not fit our rig. Took twice as long. Suggest you take it to Tesla next time.

There really is nothing else to say to that. The jack points on the S/X are placed in a way alot of standard lifts just cannot go that wide. I've seen it with my own eyes, places with lifts that can handle full sized Transit vans just couldn't get their lifts to go wide enough to jack up our X!!

Plenty of places can do it though, you need to find somewhere that does commercial vehicles, the cost of the MOT remains the same, ÂŁ35-40 max.

Model 3/Y shouldn't have the same issues.

Reactions: IanMcL and Sean.
KwikFit told me on two occasions; one to plug a tyre (@ Holloway Rd) and then to MOT @ Ipswich that the X basically broke their lift and in no uncertain terms to basically never again darken their door.

No worries mutha fuggers…you’ll never again see any of my cars for anything. 🤛

I'm going to be putting my Model 3 through its first MOT in the New Year. A lot of the "issues" seem to be with the larger Teslas, so should I expect that KwikFit would be able to MOT my car, or should I look to go elsewhere (and where)?

Also planning on replacing my tyres. Should I go KwikFit, or would I be viewed as overly paranoid if I booked a "Tire Swap" through the Tesla App. (I assume that is what that is for?)

Seems a bit early for MOT given the earliest ones won't be hitting 3 years until May.

There's no cheat sheet for Model 3 MOT on Teslas site (the model S/X one is here Ministry of Transport (MOT) Testing). Given no garage will have done it yet expect to have to be there to show them where all the various controls are.

To be honest I wouldn't go near kwik fit for anything like that.. find a local garage who's prepared to do it.

ProTyre.

They do specific 'Electric Services' along with MOTs for all EVs.

I have one right near me so will be taking it there when the time comes.

• Informative
Reactions: Ricecooker
ProTyre.

Bit short on their garages up here in NE Scotland unfortunately!

Seems a bit early for MOT given the earliest ones won't be hitting 3 years until May.

There's no cheat sheet for Model 3 MOT on Teslas site (the model S/X one is here Ministry of Transport (MOT) Testing). Given no garage will have done it yet expect to have to be there to show them where all the various controls are.

To be honest I wouldn't go near kwik fit for anything like that.. find a local garage who's prepared to do it.
Thanks. And you are right. For some reason I had 2 years for a new car, when it is actually 3. Doh! Gives me another year to think about it. :)

ProTyre.

Found one near to me, so I'll have a look at that. Thanks!

Reactions: Nick77
This is true but with the like of main dealers only charging top dollar (maximum aloud) for an MOT, there is really no point going for an mot at a bmw dealership when you drive an audi as a example and you dont really see much of this going on if at all from experience.
I've always been suspicious that main dealers will go easy on their warranty cars in servicing and MOT and not report or investigate anything borderline as it makes their cars look bad and result in more warranty claims that affect their bottom line.

Today my Model S 85D passed its MOT, however. National Tyres, in Salisbury asked me to "Use Tesla next time".
They said their rig did not accept cars like Tesla. The jacking points did not line up. They 'worked round it' however, they said it took twice as long.

Anyone else had this?
This is my third mot and not had this previously. Kwik Fit and F1 did the previous mots. Would not recommend F1. They stole my valve covers and put wrong air pressure on 4 new tyres.
I've only once had a tyre servicing experience where the tyre pressures were correctly set afterwards. That was Manchester Recovery who did a roadside replacement of a puncture and educated me about Tesla jacking pads. I'm tempted to drive the Tesla over there next time I need tyre changing or an MOT just because they were so helpful. It was Tesla Roadside assistance in the Netherlands who found them.

I've always been suspicious that main dealers will go easy on their warranty cars in servicing and MOT and not report or investigate anything borderline as it makes their cars look bad and result in more warranty claims that affect their bottom line.
Indeed. Just because you are paranoid does not mean they are not out to get you. However, servicing maybe but MOT is a different ball game that I dont thing they would entertain being shady with. On that note, according to Toyota its within specification for a car to drink 1 litre of oil per 1000 miles (as per the handbook) however when their mechanic was challenged (in front of other customers) with the question "is this normal?" the answer was no. You live and learn...

Just back from my local and much loved Dee Garage in Banchory having taken the MX there for its MoT. The guy was really looking forward to doing it and had printed out all the bumph and bought jack pucks. Unfortunately it was too wide for his ramp - the car fitted on (just) but the jack was too narrow to fit the MX jacking points.
So MoT booked for Monday at Dinnet Garage which MoTs my motorhome so surely that’ll be wide enough!