Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MOT of trade in expires this month

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, I pick up my Model 3 on Saturday, and will trade in my current car at the same time. I’ve accepted Tesla’s final offer.

I realised that my MOT on my current car expires on December 21st.

I believe Tesla may require the MOT to be valid for at least 30 days after trade in - can anyone confirm?

Will Tesla not have checked the MOT details on the DVLA site before making their offer, or is this all taken care of on the day?

I have a feeling it won’t be worth doing an MOT on my current car, paying to fix any problems, only to trade the car in straight away.

So, I pick up my Model 3 on Saturday, and will trade in my current car at the same time. I’ve accepted Tesla’s final offer.

I realised that my MOT on my current car expires on December 21st.

I believe Tesla may require the MOT to be valid for at least 30 days after trade in - can anyone confirm?

Will Tesla not have checked the MOT details on the DVLA site before making their offer, or is this all taken care of on the day?

I have a feeling it won’t be worth doing an MOT on my current car, paying to fix any problems, only to trade the car in straight away.

I traded in my old 2009 Volvo V70 and was praying that collection would occur before my MOT ran out.
I had already changed to monthly vehicle tax a few months before to make it easier to cancel.
The MOT expired the week after I collected my Tesla and Tesla were perfectly happy about it - I did ask.

Reactions: Treble777
Damn, I didn’t realise Tesla does trade-ins. Just checked on their website and received a pretty good offer for my 2015 Outlander. However, I can’t apply it to my current order. I have to place a new order within 7 days of the trade-in offer. Can I call CS and have it applied to my current order? Anyone with experience on this?

Damn, I didn’t realise Tesla does trade-ins. Just checked on their website and received a pretty good offer for my 2015 Outlander. However, I can’t apply it to my current order. I have to place a new order within 7 days of the trade-in offer. Can I call CS and have it applied to my current order? Anyone with experience on this?
I waited until I knew delivery of my order was in sight and then done the trade in thing, no problems applying to current order. If it's greyed out on your account, (the 4 steps, delivery location, trade in, finance and registration), give them a call or get them in chat and they will open up that option again. Once you accept their final offer, it's valid for 2 months I believe.

Reactions: Campi
They demanded I got my trade-in MOT'd two days before collection. It had 1 week to run. I had told them when I ordered that I had my car to trade in, and accepted their price. So I'd be sure to get it confirmed with Tesla beforehand. They don't seem to be consistent on this.

Reactions: Campi
They demanded I got my trade-in MOT'd two days before collection. It had 1 week to run. I had told them when I ordered that I had my car to trade in, and accepted their price. So I'd be sure to get it confirmed with Tesla beforehand. They don't seem to be consistent on this.
How is someone supposed to get an MOT carried out on their car with 48 hours notice?

I pick the car up on Saturday - if Tesla rang me today and said my trade in needed to be MOT'd before then, I'd have to refuse and cancel delivery. No way I could take a day off work, or find a garage to do an MOT, at such short notice.

Try Cazoo, they will give you good money with zero delay. In my case £2k more than Tesla and 4k more than We buy Any Car. There is also Motorway though their system is a sort of dealer auction and I don't trust that to yield the initial offer price.

Try Cazoo, they will give you good money with zero delay. In my case £2k more than Tesla and 4k more than We buy Any Car. There is also Motorway though their system is a sort of dealer auction and I don't trust that to yield the initial offer price.
Thanks Gweilo. Just tried Cazoo, but they were unable to give me a valuation based on the details given. 🤷‍♂️ Still, Tesla was better than both Motorways and WeBuyAnyCar so I'm happy. Also, Tesla Winchester just text me to see if they can assist me further with the trade in offer, so hopefully they can apply the offer to my current order.

Last edited:
How is someone supposed to get an MOT carried out on their car with 48 hours notice?

I pick the car up on Saturday - if Tesla rang me today and said my trade in needed to be MOT'd before then, I'd have to refuse and cancel delivery. No way I could take a day off work, or find a garage to do an MOT, at such short notice.
I was extremely fortunate to have a good long term relationship with my local independent garage, who squeezed me in! Otherwise I would have to have found 8k in short order, or cancelled. I wasn't best pleased.

Thanks for Cazoo hint. Fortunately Tesla offer for my car only £100 less than Cazoo. I collect this coming Wednesday, I have not been so nervous about my car since I purchased it 12 years ago. All I see now is £8300 sitting my my drive.
I had to get MOT after offer. I also changed oil and brake fluids to keep service book up to date although did not use main dealer.

Just to chime in with my (and a couple other people's) experiences of Motorway, they actually guarantee the initial offer price and then, when it goes to auction, if they can get a bit more for it, you get that.

Although that bit I am suspicious of as they seem to always just say they only managed to get the initial offer. They probably pocket any extra.

But, if your happy with the initial offer then happy days.

Just to chime in with my (and a couple other people's) experiences of Motorway, they actually guarantee the initial offer price and then, when it goes to auction, if they can get a bit more for it, you get that.

Thats not how it worked for my sale. Final price was less than the estimated sale price, but I was happy enough as it was still over £2k more than I’d been offered by any of my local dealers or WBAC. I felt their initial estimate was optimistic, so wasn’t surprised at the result.

Cazoo wouldn’t give me an offer as they don’t buy cars with finance outstanding, whereas the Motorway dealer settles the finance and pays any surplus direct to you.

Thats not how it worked for my sale. Final price was less than the estimated sale price, but I was happy enough as it was still over £2k more than I’d been offered by any of my local dealers or WBAC. I felt their initial estimate was optimistic, so wasn’t surprised at the result.

Cazoo wouldn’t give me an offer as they don’t buy cars with finance outstanding, whereas the Motorway dealer settles the finance and pays any surplus direct to you.

interesting - your the first person i've heard that didn't get what they were originally offered. But yeah as long as you were happy, and at least you are not under obligation to accept the lower offer either.