Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mother-in-law Denied Delivery Yesterday due to Build Quality Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey y'all,

Re-posting this here because the Reddit sub isn't super helpful.

Pics: Model Y Denied Delivery

These are just what I got from bro-in-law but it sounds like the car had issues all over.

Posting this to see what the community has to say about it and what to expect, not to rag on Tesla. I'm no TSLA fanatic but I do want to see them and electric cars succeed (we own a Volt and electric seems to be the best immediate future of cars). I am a lifetime auto/auto industry enthusiast and it is hard to see Tesla being successful long term with the awful quality and service we have experienced to date, especially at their price point.

My mother-in-law hasn't bought a new car since '97 and has never owned anything but a Toyota as far as I know. She wanted something nice to carry her through retirement and a few of us in the family talked her in to buying a LR Model Y.

Tesla beat the expected delivery by over a month but they promised it Thursday and had to delay due to "problems with build quality" that they would not be specific about. They delivered it hours after they promised on Friday and the car was put together like s**t. 4 out of 4 doors don't line up, trim pieces damaged, awful gaps all over, the windshield is off center with exposed portion of the a pillar (an eventual rusty, leaky nightmare) and just general terrible build quality. I wasn't there in person to inspect it so I am not sure these were the only issues.

The Tesla delivery boy rudely tried to essentially force her to accept delivery. His reasoning was that everything was "in spec" (damaged parts are in spec???), that Tesla is only 15 years old so crappy build quality should be expected (LOL) and his dad's M3 had the same problems so just get over it. My MIL got offended and told him she wouldn't pay 25k for that, let alone 50k plus. He ultimately apologized and they will get back to her on when they will get her a new one.

My opinion is that Tesla is eventually going to have to breach the market of everyday car buyers (read: a 60 y/o lady who knows nothing about electric cars and just wants a nice ride for the most expensive car purchase of her life) and those people are not going to be as forgiving as the Tesla fanatic crowd who appear to often be blinded by the tech to notice all the little problems Tesla seems to be ok with not addressing.

Anyone have experience with this/recommendations on what to do next? I want her to love this car but if they try to deliver her trash again with terrible service, she will probably pull the order and just buy a Lexus or something.

Tl;dr, does Tesla really expect people paying 60k for a car to be OK with terrible build quality, can they honestly not build a well put together vehicle or was this just a one-off issue because they want to hit numbers for the S&P debut or something?