Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Motion Sickness on Autopilot bouncing between road lines

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2017 Model X 100D. I picked her up on March 31, 2021.

When on Autopilot, there are places where the car will “bounce” between the road lines making myself and my passengers car sick. I took her into the Service Center for a separate issue and asked them to also look into this. I provided pics of the map where the issue is happening and also time stamps so they could look into the drive records. I also gave them permission to take the car on an extended test drive so they could go to those areas to experience it. The Service Tech said that is totally possible. When I picked up the car they simply said that it could be because the 2017 has an older Autopilot System or that the road lines could be wider in those places. I had a 2012 Model S which I assume an even older Autopilot System and I never had this issue in that car. I also had a 2017 Model 3 with no issues at all. I feel like the Service Center’s response is BS. I provided them info and gave them permission to go and replicate the problem and they did nothing but say the system is old. That is crap. If that was the case the a lot of Model X’s would be having this problem.

Anyone else have/had this issue? Was it resolved?

There was a firmware update in late 2019 that caused my 2017 model X to ping pong between the lines like a drunken sailer when on autopilot. It lasted for several months. I do not recall exactly when it resolved for me, whether it was another software update or the HW3 upgrade. There were many, many others complaining of the issue at the time. My model 3 also had the issue at the time, but it was much more subtle. Among the suggestions others gave who did not have the issue was alignment and camera calibration, which are obvious things that should be checked.

Is your car HW 2.0, 2.5 or 3.0?

Reactions: brkaus
There was a firmware update in late 2019 that caused my 2017 model X to ping pong between the lines like a drunken sailer when on autopilot. It lasted for several months. I do not recall exactly when it resolved for me, whether it was another software update or the HW3 upgrade. There were many, many others complaining of the issue at the time. My model 3 also had the issue at the time, but it was much more subtle. Among the suggestions others gave who did not have the issue was alignment and camera calibration, which are obvious things that should be checked.

Is your car HW 2.0, 2.5 or 3.0?
It it HW 2.0 i believe. I did have the cameras recalibrated but that didnt fix the problem Unfortunately.

Common causes would be a truck on either side of you (it adjusts to the side and back rather abruptly), you're driving in the right lane where merge lanes are not completely lined off (it tries to center in the wider lane), a bad side wind, or sloppy lines through a curve. We just finished driving from Arizona to Maryland in an early 2017 Model X (with the HW3 upgraded computer) and it is otherwise very stable.

Different story from when we first got it and I would not use Autosteer and look like a drunk driver. It hasn't been that bad for a few years now.

If it's weaving on a straight road with no traffic I'd say something is wrong. Otherwise look for one of those situations that might explain the behavior.

Reactions: Bigriver