Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Motion sickness Plaid

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have no experience with a Plaid but a couple comments from my experience with my mid-2016 MS90D and my wife being very sensitive to motion sickness. Two key things I've learned:

It's important to learn to gradually roll out of the accelerator. The sudden application of regenerative braking you get with a more "digital", on/off style of accelerator pedal control can be very unsettling due to sudden changes in acceleration. I'd learned over decades of driving with her to develop a very smooth driving style. It took me a few days getting the feel of regeneration and acceleration response to recalibrate my right foot to achieve the same level of smoothness.

The other is the impact of having live video feeds on the center screen can be very disorienting. I know some like driving with back-up camera displayed all the time, but that's pure torture to her. She was in the back seat when I did my original test drive and the Tesla employee with us turned on the rear camera to illustrate the ability to display it while driving. Fortunately I was paying attention, realized my wife was starting to turn mild shades of green, and was able to quickly get the camera turned off before too late.

These are in addition to the obvious always using maximum plaid acceleration at every stoplight problem going to hit you. Even in my sluggish MS90D, a couple repeated WOT accels in a row starts to make my head be a bit rattled. Not sure I'd tolerate Plaid levels.

Just my two cents ... good luck on your decision.

• Helpful
Reactions: 2101Guy and croman
I have no experience with a Plaid but a couple comments from my experience with my mid-2016 MS90D and my wife being very sensitive to motion sickness. Two key things I've learned:

It's important to learn to gradually roll out of the accelerator. The sudden application of regenerative braking you get with a more "digital", on/off style of accelerator pedal control can be very unsettling due to sudden changes in acceleration. I'd learned over decades of driving with her to develop a very smooth driving style. It took me a few days getting the feel of regeneration and acceleration response to recalibrate my right foot to achieve the same level of smoothness.

The other is the impact of having live video feeds on the center screen can be very disorienting. I know some like driving with back-up camera displayed all the time, but that's pure torture to her. She was in the back seat when I did my original test drive and the Tesla employee with us turned on the rear camera to illustrate the ability to display it while driving. Fortunately I was paying attention, realized my wife was starting to turn mild shades of green, and was able to quickly get the camera turned off before too late.

These are in addition to the obvious always using maximum plaid acceleration at every stoplight problem going to hit you. Even in my sluggish MS90D, a couple repeated WOT accels in a row starts to make my head be a bit rattled. Not sure I'd tolerate Plaid levels.

Just my two cents ... good luck on your decision.
Thank you so much!!

I just ordered a plaid and have been reading that it can cause motion sickness. I am a little prone to motion sickness from roller coasters etc. (getting older). Is this an issue for any of you? There aren't any to test tdrive around here. Thank you!
I upgraded from 2018 S to 2021+ LR. The 2018 still had the option to switch Regen from Normal to Low, and I always used Low when spouse was in car because she felt some motion sickness if I wasn't careful with the go pedal.

So I was concerned that 2021+ no longer has Regen option, and that this would create a problem for us. Fortunately, we have both "felt" the new regen is much smoother by default and with normal driving my spouse doesn't feel ill. For example, when you take foot off pedal at speed, you don't feel the same lurch and it's easier for me to manage the pedal for gradual deceleration without thinking about it.

I also *really* love how car will come to complete stop and auto-hold at red lights (without using AP). With proper pace and distancing one can avoid using the brake much. Of course if you want to feel ill, you can always stomp on the go pedal for that roller coaster feeling!

I upgraded from 2018 S to 2021+ LR. The 2018 still had the option to switch Regen from Normal to Low, and I always used Low when spouse was in car because she felt some motion sickness if I wasn't careful with the go pedal.

So I was concerned that 2021+ no longer has Regen option, and that this would create a problem for us. Fortunately, we have both "felt" the new regen is much smoother by default and with normal driving my spouse doesn't feel ill. For example, when you take foot off pedal at speed, you don't feel the same lurch and it's easier for me to manage the pedal for gradual deceleration without thinking about it.

I also *really* love how car will come to complete stop and auto-hold at red lights (without using AP). With proper pace and distancing one can avoid using the brake much. Of course if you want to feel ill, you can always stomp on the go pedal for that roller coaster feeling!
Thank you!

I am in the same boat (motion sickness sometimes from roller coasters and picked up a Plaid). Just don't punch it from a stop and you should be fine. I have done 2 back to back launches and it made me pretty queasy. The rest of the driving experience, including punching from a roll, isn't bad at all.

I am in the same boat (motion sickness sometimes from roller coasters and picked up a Plaid). Just don't punch it from a stop and you should be fine. I have done 2 back to back launches and it made me pretty queasy. The rest of the driving experience, including punching from a roll, isn't bad at all.
Motion sickness from a Plaid🤣🤣🤣No. Pulling 6 G’s and rolling 5 times in an F-18…maybe😜

Reactions: LJG0053
The most sensitive motion sickness animal are my dogs ;) Which are way in the back. They have been fine with normal regen in both Model 3 Performance and Model X.

I have felt sick with one owner of a RWD Model 3 because it’s just not feathered smooth.

Now of course if you launch it all the time all bets are off.

Subtle unexpected motion is what makes people sick. Usually the drivers have no issue. It’s always passengers with a driver unaware of what they are doing to their passengers. You have total control to be smooth or jerky. With or without low regen.

I get motion sickness as well. I could not, absolutely not, be a passenger in any electric car. It's bad enough in an ICE car with more sensory input.

I have not had a major issue with the plaid, and the harder i'm driving the better it is. I mainly get minor motion sickness on autopilot, first thing in the morning. I have to be paying attention to the road, looking around, and having the windows down a bit helps; the car is incredibly quiet which does not help.

Both of my kids are sensitive to motion and have had more issues in my model 3 than when in our ICE car. I’m still not sure why but as others have said, being smooth on both the acceleration and deceleration has been key to keeping them comfortable. Don’t have a Plaid so can’t help you there but I think something about the seating position of passengers in the back of the model 3 is an issue too. When my son sits upfront he is more comfortable.

as some have mentioned, I'd suggest defininitely using Chill mode to start with, and getting very very comfortable with regen braking. And make sure she's looking out side vs looking down at her phone, at the screen, etc. The looking out/around can help a bit in reducing motion sickness

Reactions: LJG0053
If you go from braking to hard acceleration then you will likely feel it. I have to avoid that or everyone in the car will feel queasy. Launching from a stop or just hard acceleration doesn't do it, hard deceleration to immediate hard acceleration does.