Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Motion sickness with Model Y - suspension?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am suffering from significant motion sickness in my 2023 MY, delivered mid-Dec 2022, when I drive on mildly bumpy or irregular surfaces. Worse at highway speeds, which is the majority of my 1 hour commute. The suspension and/or body roll jostle me both up and down, and back and forth like a bad carnival ride. I didn't experience any of this when I did a 3 day rental of a 2022 MY, or during the first few weeks of ownership.

No motion sickness with regen braking or AP. I already use chill mode. Hold/creep/roll settings didn't make any difference since my problems aren't at slower speeds. No change with different steering settings. No improvement with the usual motion sickness remedies. No difference with tires at 42 vs high 30s psi.

I'm slightly more prone to motion sickness than average, but never before as the driver. It's bad enough that I'm thinking about getting rid of the car and getting a Lexus.

Will Tesla look at my suspension since it's still under warranty, even if it's not likely to be a fixable problem from their viewpoint?

Any other suggestions on what to do?

Another wild thought: are you certain that your windshield doesn't have some distortion that's contributing to your discomfort? I know when I've been in cars with flaws in the windshield, my reaction is similar to motion sickness.

OP:

My son has the same problem in them. If I'm right this is easy enough to fix. I suspect you are actually experiencing low frequency nausea.

1) Look for a post on ride improvement I've actually done for the Ariya community, which I've abandoned, and will be posting here in the next 24 hours.
2) Look for and implement the "boom" solutions common to the "Y". If I'm not being clear some folks get ill when subjected to low frequencies, including those they don't hear. Start hear:
  1. Find the "paper test" for hatch adjustment and have your service center adjust to that (mine didn't know it, loved it, and are going to steal it).
  2. Dump a blanket in the rear well, and get something like a tuxmatt in the cargo area.
  3. Make sure you have the storage tray up.
  4. If you don't have 19's time to think "tire/wheel trade". If you do drop PSI to 38.

Read this post, note the video I linked on #38.

Luck to you!

-d

Reactions: towndrunk
The car/motors may be producing an electromagnetic field and this could effect you .

“The symptoms most commonly experienced include (fatigue, tiredness, concentration difficulties, dizziness, nausea, heart palpitation, and digestive disturbances)”

• Funny
Reactions: buddhafree
The car/motors may be producing an electromagnetic field and this could effect you .

“The symptoms most commonly experienced include (fatigue, tiredness, concentration difficulties, dizziness, nausea, heart palpitation, and digestive disturbances)”
Or maybe its and EMP pulse from an alien balloon? Or solar Flares penetrating the huge sunroof? Sry could not help it.
Personally I think its a combination of the super quiet ride, smooth acceleration that were not used to. I felt a bit nauseaus at first but now I got used to the car and feel fine. Hope you do the same.

Or maybe its and EMP pulse from an alien balloon? Or solar Flares penetrating the huge sunroof? Sry could not help it.
Personally I think its a combination of the super quiet ride, smooth acceleration that were not used to. I felt a bit nauseaus at first but now I got used to the car and feel fine. Hope you do the same.
Sorry I may have not been clear .
I don’t experience any sickness.
I was just offering up a suggestion!
The gentleman may be sensitive to changes in magnetic fields ?
But without anyway of determining the exact cause he may never know !

I simple test is a compass placed on the dash, if it behaves in a strange way you have your answer.

Reactions: RedY23
OP:

My son has the same problem in them. If I'm right this is easy enough to fix. I suspect you are actually experiencing low frequency nausea.

1) Look for a post on ride improvement I've actually done for the Ariya community, which I've abandoned, and will be posting here in the next 24 hours.
2) Look for and implement the "boom" solutions common to the "Y". If I'm not being clear some folks get ill when subjected to low frequencies, including those they don't hear. Start hear:
  1. Find the "paper test" for hatch adjustment and have your service center adjust to that (mine didn't know it, loved it, and are going to steal it).
  2. Dump a blanket in the rear well, and get something like a tuxmatt in the cargo area.
  3. Make sure you have the storage tray up.
  4. If you don't have 19's time to think "tire/wheel trade". If you do drop PSI to 38.

Read this post, note the video I linked on #38.

Luck to you!

-d
Thx for all for your replies. I'm trying not to make this a huge project, like inserting tubing into gaskets and removing quarter panels, as suggested in the video by the Canadian guy. But the paper test for the hatch with adjustments did result in some improvement. It's at least tolerable now.

Reactions: towndrunk
Havana syndrome. Russians hacked teslas and are injecting low frequency sine waves through the audio system.

Thx for all for your replies. I'm trying not to make this a huge project, like inserting tubing into gaskets and removing quarter panels, as suggested in the video by the Canadian guy. But the paper test for the hatch with adjustments did result in some improvement. It's at least tolerable now.
Nice to hear. Did adjustment improve also body roll and back&forth jostling?

Don't have motion sickness (probably because I'm the driver), but haven't heard any motion sickness from passenger, but the suspension is stiff (feel every single pothole), have the version before comfort suspension, but wished they do an upgrade. Paid $60K for the car, think I deserve a decent ride quality not trying to break your back for that price.

Folks with the new "comfort" suspension have reported that there seems to be more bounce/float to the ride than previous years. Haven't seen a solution to this outside of an aftermarket suspension.

Possible. Check out ZEVcentrics video comparing MY 2022 to 2023 factory suspension. Clearly see the difference beteween the curent softer rebound and compression.

Personally like my suspension 'sporty' predictable on the road. Factory 2023 MYLR can be a bit floaty on the rear end at higher speeds. I manged to tighten it up with a set of Ohlins R&T Coilovers, Redwood Alum top hats, and rear camber and Toe arms. Plan to add MPP Trailing and Traction arms. This setup is def more aggressive than most folks on this forum would like, It corrected that floaty feeling.

• Informative
Reactions: cc333