Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Motion Sickness

merlinn

Mar 9, 2021
Houston
My 7 year old son gets bad motion sickness riding in our new 2021 M3P, even for short trips. I feel it some when I'm not driving as well. I love the car, so want to look at maybe making some changes.
I know a lot of it has to do with small sidewall tires. I was also looking at the "MPP Model 3 Comfort Coilovers AWD/Performance" to replace as well. My question is what should I focus on first? I was thinking maybe smaller wheels and bigger sidewall tires, but nothing super small wheel wise. What are some good options out there? What would you do in my situation?

Thanks in advance!
-John H

glide

Jun 6, 2018
USA
My 7 year old son gets bad motion sickness riding in our new 2021 M3P, even for short trips. I feel it some when I'm not driving as well. I love the car, so want to look at maybe making some changes.
I know a lot of it has to do with small sidewall tires. I was also looking at the "MPP Model 3 Comfort Coilovers AWD/Performance" to replace as well. My question is what should I focus on first? I was thinking maybe smaller wheels and bigger sidewall tires, but nothing super small wheel wise. What are some good options out there? What would you do in my situation?

Thanks in advance!
-John H
Motion sickness is most likely due to the feeling of regenerative breaking by the passengers. It has nothing to do with your tires.

Only solution is to adjust your driving style or turn regen off.

merlinn

Mar 9, 2021
Houston
My wife and I thought the same, but it happens just cruising down the highway with autopilot on. I only know because I get it too, like on boats or mountain roads, its the same feeling.

boyguan

Dec 23, 2019
Bay Area
its usually not the tires like mentioned. Its to constant jerking forward and back. I cant stand autopilot for stop and go because it accelerates too quickly and brakes too abruptly.

Try switching accel to chill and turn regen off and see if you still get that feeling.

glide

Jun 6, 2018
USA
My wife and I thought the same, but it happens just cruising down the highway with autopilot on. I only know because I get it too, like on boats or mountain roads, its the same feeling.
Make sure your windshield isn’t distorted but I suspect it is still autopilot/regen.

merlinn

Mar 9, 2021
Houston
Motion sickness is most likely due to the feeling of regenerative breaking by the passengers. It has nothing to do with your tires.

Only solution is to adjust your driving style or turn regen off.

its usually not the tires like mentioned. Its to constant jerking forward and back. I cant stand autopilot for stop and go because it accelerates too quickly and brakes too abruptly.

Try switching accel to chill and turn regen off and see if you still get that feeling.

Ok you all maybe right. I'll try chill mode and changing regen, but If I remember right it happened the worst when we were cruising on interstate with practically no other cars and constant speed. The car just seems bouncy like I can feel every bump, compared to like my Honda Accord.

Reactions: Scarletfever

boyguan

Dec 23, 2019
Bay Area
Ok you all maybe right. I'll try chill mode and changing regen, but If I remember right it happened the worst when we were cruising on interstate with practically no other cars and constant speed. The car just seems bouncy like I can feel every bump, compared to like my Honda Accord.
i can see that as well. i changed out my suspension cause the back was too floaty. but on a perfectly flat road, you should not be able to notice anything.

Reactions: merlinn

jsimon7777

Feb 1, 2018
Castro Valley
When the accel and decel of the one pedal driving gets you nauseous, every bounce and thump of the suspension will feel worse than usual. I think it really is the smoothness of the accelerator. If that goes wrong on the streets before hitting the freeway, well, then you're nauseous and will notice all the jouncing and such. The car's freeway ride is fine. It's the lower speeds where it does worse.

Scubadriver

Sep 12, 2021
Houston, TX
My girlfriend and I both felt a bit off on my first test drive of a Model 3 LR. I thought it was either the Regen braking or watching the stupid traffic visualization on the screen in my peripheral vision. Second test drive I was more mindful to smoothly release the accelerator, and we deliberately avoided looking a lot the screen. We were both fine.

That said, the LR suspension is terribly jiggly. If I buy a Performance and it is the same I will likely replace the suspension.

merlinn

Mar 9, 2021
Houston
Quick Update. So I have been on several rides the past week. I drove in chill mode and/or been very smooth with the pedal. On the regen as well, which apparently isn't adjustable anymore. My son still was saying he was getting motion sickness. I tried all kinds of roads and the highway didn't make a difference. I didn't get a chance to be a passenger myself to see if I could still feel it though. It's tough because at this point I still can't rule anything out yet.

Nayston

Oct 7, 2020
Chicago
Some people get motion sickness in electric vehicles. Do a Google search and it’s all over the internet. Unfortunately unless he just gets used to it, there isn’t much you can do about it is the reality of the situation.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC