Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Motion Sickness

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 7 year old son gets bad motion sickness riding in our new 2021 M3P, even for short trips. I feel it some when I'm not driving as well. I love the car, so want to look at maybe making some changes.
I know a lot of it has to do with small sidewall tires. I was also looking at the "MPP Model 3 Comfort Coilovers AWD/Performance" to replace as well. My question is what should I focus on first? I was thinking maybe smaller wheels and bigger sidewall tires, but nothing super small wheel wise. What are some good options out there? What would you do in my situation?

Thanks in advance!
-John H

My 7 year old son gets bad motion sickness riding in our new 2021 M3P, even for short trips. I feel it some when I'm not driving as well. I love the car, so want to look at maybe making some changes.
I know a lot of it has to do with small sidewall tires. I was also looking at the "MPP Model 3 Comfort Coilovers AWD/Performance" to replace as well. My question is what should I focus on first? I was thinking maybe smaller wheels and bigger sidewall tires, but nothing super small wheel wise. What are some good options out there? What would you do in my situation?

Thanks in advance!
-John H
Motion sickness is most likely due to the feeling of regenerative breaking by the passengers. It has nothing to do with your tires.

Only solution is to adjust your driving style or turn regen off.

its usually not the tires like mentioned. Its to constant jerking forward and back. I cant stand autopilot for stop and go because it accelerates too quickly and brakes too abruptly.

Try switching accel to chill and turn regen off and see if you still get that feeling.

Reactions: Silicon Desert
Motion sickness is most likely due to the feeling of regenerative breaking by the passengers. It has nothing to do with your tires.

Only solution is to adjust your driving style or turn regen off.

its usually not the tires like mentioned. Its to constant jerking forward and back. I cant stand autopilot for stop and go because it accelerates too quickly and brakes too abruptly.

Try switching accel to chill and turn regen off and see if you still get that feeling.

Ok you all maybe right. I'll try chill mode and changing regen, but If I remember right it happened the worst when we were cruising on interstate with practically no other cars and constant speed. The car just seems bouncy like I can feel every bump, compared to like my Honda Accord.

Reactions: Scarletfever
Ok you all maybe right. I'll try chill mode and changing regen, but If I remember right it happened the worst when we were cruising on interstate with practically no other cars and constant speed. The car just seems bouncy like I can feel every bump, compared to like my Honda Accord.
i can see that as well. i changed out my suspension cause the back was too floaty. but on a perfectly flat road, you should not be able to notice anything.

Reactions: merlinn
When the accel and decel of the one pedal driving gets you nauseous, every bounce and thump of the suspension will feel worse than usual. I think it really is the smoothness of the accelerator. If that goes wrong on the streets before hitting the freeway, well, then you're nauseous and will notice all the jouncing and such. The car's freeway ride is fine. It's the lower speeds where it does worse.

My girlfriend and I both felt a bit off on my first test drive of a Model 3 LR. I thought it was either the Regen braking or watching the stupid traffic visualization on the screen in my peripheral vision. Second test drive I was more mindful to smoothly release the accelerator, and we deliberately avoided looking a lot the screen. We were both fine.

That said, the LR suspension is terribly jiggly. If I buy a Performance and it is the same I will likely replace the suspension.

Quick Update. So I have been on several rides the past week. I drove in chill mode and/or been very smooth with the pedal. On the regen as well, which apparently isn't adjustable anymore. My son still was saying he was getting motion sickness. I tried all kinds of roads and the highway didn't make a difference. I didn't get a chance to be a passenger myself to see if I could still feel it though. It's tough because at this point I still can't rule anything out yet.

I assume your son never had any motion sickness in your Accord? Depending on how long you had it, it may just be a case of he was too young when he first rode in the accord. For small kids it may be a harder transition than adults, but in time he will be able to get used to it I hope. Kids are really good at adapting, and after riding a M3 for 5 years, he may get motion sickness going back to an ICE. Do you have some kind of entertainment options to keep him distracted? Always focusing on the rough ride will only make a problem worse.

is your child using a smart phone while driving?
sometimes when im passanger i get that dizzy/sick feeling while using my phone.
for you, i think it might be the no gear shift. its an unnatural feeling and you'll get used to it.

i dont think it has anything to do with the car.

Reactions: KenC
is your child using a smart phone while driving?
sometimes when im passanger i get that dizzy/sick feeling while using my phone.
for you, i think it might be the no gear shift. its an unnatural feeling and you'll get used to it.

i dont think it has anything to do with the car.
This is a common issue. The eyes are telling you one thing, the ears are telling you something else, sensory overload.

Reactions: KenC