Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Motivation?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Okay, here I go again. I'm a newbie and I haven't seen this asked so forgive me if it has.

In order, my motivation for wanting to buy a MY is...
  1. Technology - the fact that Tesla seem to be streets ahead in this area.
  2. Emissions - just doing our little bit.
  3. Ingress & Egress - better seat height for oldies with issues.
  4. Performance - massive torque from electric motors.
  5. Convenience - getting rid of servo's and being able to charge overnight at home.
Looks are way down on my list and to be fair, I reckon the MY and to a lesser degree the M3 are pretty ugly, especially the frog nose front. The only nice looking Tesla IMHO is the MS but like our Benz, is too low for comfort.

Interested to see what others think.

My 80 year old mother-in-law is very happy with the MY ingress and egress, the M3 was a struggle for her.

With respect to technology, in many respects Teslas are a generation ahead of the legacy automakers. You do however need to accept that when you buy a Tesla that you become part of the development team. If you don't like having bugs introduced with a software update or the possibility of a feature becoming worse after a new release, then you either need to become judicious of which software updates you apply or decide whether a legacy automaker might be a better option.

Reactions: Vostok and Hairyman
To be fair I've been a passenger in a '22 Porsche that's $400k and the voice system was the worst I have ever experienced. The only way to get the car to recognise any 'take me to.....' is to use Apple/Android Car Play and get it to do it. I've tested the same commands in the Tesla and it does work better.

My main reason for buying a Tesla is
- cool tech
- performance
- get rid of my $150/wk ICE habit (will be mainly charging with solar)
- do my bit to annoy everyone who want to preach to me about all the slave labour that go into the lithium mines blah blah blah

Okay, here I go again. I'm a newbie and I haven't seen this asked so forgive me if it has.

In order, my motivation for wanting to buy a MY is...
  1. Technology - the fact that Tesla seem to be streets ahead in this area.
  2. Emissions - just doing our little bit.
  3. Ingress & Egress - better seat height for oldies with issues.
  4. Performance - massive torque from electric motors.
  5. Convenience - getting rid of servo's and being able to charge overnight at home.
Looks are way down on my list and to be fair, I reckon the MY and to a lesser degree the M3 are pretty ugly, especially the frog nose front. The only nice looking Tesla IMHO is the MS but like our Benz, is too low for comfort.

1. Correct - in particular, Tesla’s Battery Management System (BMS) is streets ahead of anyone else’s, leading to minimal battery degradation over time, which is very important for an EV. Tesla‘s efficiency (Wh/km) is way better than just about any other EV in the same class - meaning you can go further on the same sized battery. It’s in-car software is much, much better than the competitors - fast, mostly intuitive, not buggy. Telsa is also streets ahead in Over-the-Air (OTA) software updates. Some manufacturers still require their EV owners to come into the “dealer” to do major software updates (Ka-Ching), and they only offer OTA for minor stuff like updates to the entertainment system, not vehicular function. Tesla does it all OTA, for free, including map updates. That also means Tesla can actually add new features to their cars years after you bought it. One of the recent ones is auto indicator cancelling - change lanes, and the blinker turns off automatically once it has worked out your lane change is complete. It works really well and I love it! Some of the operational ‘issues’ like phantom braking are legendary, you just put up with it or learn how to minimise it happening. It’s part of the deal - mostly very good, but some niggling ongoing annoyances.
  2. Correct
  3. Correct
  4. Correct - although the non-performance Model Y is mundane on the EV scale, still very good compared to ICE
  5. Massively correct
Looks are in the eye of the beholder, I love the look of my Model 3. I love the minimalist interior. I love the absence of the grille. I hate manufacturers adding affectations to anything that serve no practical purpose. EVs don’t need grilles, so don’t bl**dy add them.

Sorry, but a base Model Y doesn't have massive torque. Something like 400nm, which is 2.0 turbo diesel territory. It's available from 0 rpm, but it's definitely not a huge amount.
Sorry, but a base Model Y doesn't have massive torque. Something like 400nm, which is 2.0 turbo diesel territory. It's available from 0 rpm, but it's definitely not a huge amount.
I used the wrong term. I was referring to the instant transmission of power more so than torque.

Looks are in the eye of the beholder, I love the look of my Model 3. I love the minimalist interior. I love the absence of the grille. I hate manufacturers adding affectations to anything that serve no practical purpose. EVs don’t need grilles, so don’t bl**dy add them.
Thanks for your thoughtful reply. I agree looks are in the eye of the beholder but I can't get my head past the front of the 3's and Y's. To me they look like a large frog coming towards me LOL. Not very complimentary I know.

When I finally get my MY I will tart the front up like the attached image. It starts to look like an S.

Attachments

• T.jpg
    T.jpg
    308.9 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
Thanks for your thoughtful reply. I agree looks are in the eye of the beholder but I can't get my head past the front of the 3's and Y's. To me they look like a large frog coming towards me LOL. Not very complimentary I know.

When I finally get my MY I will tart the front up like the attached image. It starts to look like an S.
Best solution is to always be the driver. That way you will never see the giant frog coming toward you

What I think the MY looks like. The nickname for my MYP to be is Beluga or Tokedemaru

1673666011440.png

- do my bit to annoy everyone who want to preach to me about all the slave labour that go into the lithium mines blah blah blah
A heap comes from Australia, then South America. I recognised the potential some years ago and bought a bunch of Pilbara Minerals shares for an average of 44 cents and they're now around $4. There's still growth left in them yet I reckon.

Reactions: Hungry Mile
Reasons for having TWO Tesla's Model Y and Model 3. The Model Y is "his"
1. I think it looks stunning from the front, sucks side on
2. Convenience of not having to go to a Servo (and savings)
3. Love the tech - hated other cars with so many buttons that I never did figure out what they did!
4. Over the air upgrades on a regular basis
5. Voice control - works like a charm for me, admittedly I sometimes throw in a fake Yank accent
6. Love, love, love the performance - as an ex V8 fiend, this is more fun!
7. Model Y is great for "him" and easy to get in and out of. :)oops:), but not as much fun as the Model 3
8. The Tesla supercharger network is so reliable when travelling
9. Uses the phone app as a key and to control (set the temperature before getting into a hot car etc), although being able to see the location is a little bit "stalker'ish"