Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Motley Fool story - Tesla Replacement Part Delays

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have to concur with the Motley fool story -- My accident to my X was Tesla's fault though I did not even get an apology -- I had automatic garage door open/close enabled. Thought based on the 30 ft from garage etc notices that it was a smart system that actually looked at where it was. Anyway -- one day, as I started the car and inched out of my garage, I received a text, stopped the car and looked at the text then continued pulling out very slowly and carefully as usual -- what can I say, I had my music cranked up high, and our door is fairly quiet, we have tried to get an extra quiet one because its under the kids bedroom! but the car triggered the garage close even though I was not out of the garage. Because my wheel had not yet crossed the door, the safety on the door did not trigger either. all I got from TEsla was that yes, they did close the door on me, and no it was not their fault because I should have know the garage feature is not a smart system.

Now, I went ahead to fix it -- four months to get the broken roof window in stock -- nov to end of feb. Finally got the cycles to take it to the shop 30 miles away and they said when they opened it up, they found that they needed to replace an additional seal -- instead of a few days, has been three weeks and counting!!!
I remember having this concern when I first got my car. I was going to raise my garage door sensors to the height of the body of the car. I forgot about that and haven't had any problems, but adding that to the to do list. Have you raised yours yet?

Reactions: Vern Padgett
My bad repair experience was at least only 2 months (initial 3 week estimate). This was mostly due to the shop and insurance arguing.

I got my car back mid april. Two days ago went to to get the 2 year service. I had just finished asking if there were any new repair shops on the horizon, sat down in my car, when someone else at the service center scraped my front bumper. So now it's back to the repair saga. The closest Tesla repair is booked until July, I think the damage is just paint so I will see if I can just get it fixed at another shop (through the other drivers insurance). Then I get home and my drivers door handle went out. So it is has been a crappy few months on the Tesla front. Luckily a ranger came out today to fix the door.

i funny ice cars my whole life and now i can't freaking stand them. It was killing me driving the rental ice for 6 months, and when they gave a ice rental at the SC my heart just couldn't take it lol!

I guess I haven't drank the Musk Kool-aid yet. I still love driving my Acura. I can depend on it. A lot more reliable than the Tesla, never have to take it to the shop, cheap routine maintenance, and no range anxiety. Yes, I do love the Tesla, but so far it can't give me the comfort of my ice car. It's just a tech toy to me.

I guess I haven't drank the Musk Kool-aid yet. I still love driving my Acura. I can depend on it. A lot more reliable than the Tesla, never have to take it to the shop, cheap routine maintenance, and no range anxiety. Yes, I do love the Tesla, but so far it can't give me the comfort of my ice car. It's just a tech toy to me.
I drove my Acura Integra for 29 years, and then went to place $1000 down on a Model 3, a year ago, then bought 2 Model Ss. Both have been perfectly reliable, and we have zero range anxiety.

We don't have cheap routine maintenance-- we have zero maintenance-- so far.

No smog checks ! No new catalytic converter every year to pass the smog test .

Reading this thread makes me think you guys get in frequent car accidents. How many significant accidents have you been in your life? Just don't drive like an idiot and the odds are pretty great that you won't have to deal with waiting for parts from Tesla. Just in case though I keep a sledge hammer in the frunk and one in the trunk. If I'm in an accident I'm going to make sure it's totaled.
Help me! How do I lift this horrible jinx from my life? I'm really sorry I posted this douche bag post. Please forgive me. I've learned my lesson, and I hope I have suffered enough. Three days after I posted this, someone backed into my car in a parking lot and caused $4,600 worth of damage to the drivers side of my car. I finally got my car fixed a week ago. Yesterday someone slammed into the back of my car, on the freeway, when traffic came to a stop. Luckily their car's bumper matched the height of mine and my lift-gait didn't get damaged, but my neck hurts and I'm still going to have to deal with the whole body shop and insurance hassle all over again. Is my new car cursed or something?

No such thing as a jinx or spirits or the afterlife, ElectroMan. Nature doesn't care about us one way or the other. And nobody 'up there' is looking after us.

Although, our internal expectations can jinx us. And we can see patterns, where sometimes there are none.

Help me! How do I lift this horrible jinx from my life? I'm really sorry I posted this douche bag post. Please forgive me. I've learned my lesson, and I hope I have suffered enough. Three days after I posted this, someone backed into my car in a parking lot and caused $4,600 worth of damage to the drivers side of my car. I finally got my car fixed a week ago. Yesterday someone slammed into the back of my car, on the freeway, when traffic came to a stop. Luckily their car's bumper matched the height of mine and my lift-gait didn't get damaged, but my neck hurts and I'm still going to have to deal with the whole body shop and insurance hassle all over again. Is my new car cursed or something?

You should have hit him with your hammer. Enjoy the stiff neck.

"New catalytic converter". Gee, I haven't heard that before. Glad I never had to do that. My smog checks easily pass even on the older car. Up here it is $12 every 2 years so no big deal. Glad you are have better luck than me on the Tesla.
No kidding. I had to buy and have installed a new catalytic converter every year. Art at Art's Muffler would hold his left hand over his eyes for protection while he was welding the new catalytic converter in place. Each year.

$200 to $300 to pass the yearly smog checks, and not having a car for a week or more each time.

Not any more! Go Tesla!

Reactions: FlyF4
No kidding. I had to buy and have installed a new catalytic converter every year. Art at Art's Muffler would hold his left hand over his eyes for protection while he was welding the new catalytic converter in place. Each year.

$200 to $300 to pass the yearly smog checks, and not having a car for a week or more each time.

Don't the smog check is every two years in California?

I wonder what car you owned previously?

I bought new my 1987 VW GTI and after 30 years, the car has now 350 k miles.

The catalytic converter and oxygen sensor always lasted ten years.

As you mentioned, I also cut and weld the new catalytic, instead of replacing the full pipe.

Only took one hour of labor.

Reactions: Vern Padgett
Hi EV,
My previous car is a 1987 Acura Integra. Bought it new in 1987. For $14,000 out the door. Like $30,000 in today's less valuable dollars.
You actually drove your Volkswagen GTI for thirty years, for 350 thousand miles?
We (My ex-wife and I ) bought a new VW Golf (American: Rabbit) in 1979, Diesel, wonderful car.
It did 40 mpg and 53 mpg highway. On Number 2 Diesel fuel. We used Number One fuel one time but it froze. Ohio winters are cold. At OSU.

IMG_2099.JPG

Wish me luck! S's stability kept us alive.