Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Motley Fool story - Tesla Replacement Part Delays

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla hasn't fixed anything in regard to repair parts availability. I am waiting on a 2 plastic brackets according to the body shop with no eta for arrival
That is outrageous. I feel like I'm near having an anxiety attack everytime I'm in traffic, thinking the car will be at the body shop for another 4 months and one week.

Tesla hasn't fixed anything in regard to repair parts availability. I am waiting on a 2 plastic brackets according to the body shop with no eta for arrival
Have you utilized the representative assigned to your case from Tesla. Has Tesla been in regular contact with you? I feel your pain, been there before unfortunately. Body shops often lie out of their teeth though -- keep that in mind.

Have you utilized the representative assigned to your case from Tesla. Has Tesla been in regular contact with you? I feel your pain, been there before unfortunately. Body shops often lie out of their teeth though -- keep that in mind.

How would I find out how to contact the rep? Emails I have sent to Tesla have been like all of the ones that I sent when I was trying to arrange delivery of the car. Unanswered.
I'm well aware the body shop may playing loose with the truth. I don't doubt that for a second. They did ,however, appear to teardown the car the day it arrived like they claimed. I was able to check the tesla app for a while and it showed the car in a bay with the hood open on day 1. The car is 200 miles away. I can't just hop in a car and drive down to check on progress.
I know one of the brackets was definitely broken. I took off the front bumper of the car to figure out why autopilot wasn't working and the reason was that the plastic bracket that held it in place had snapped and the radar unit was swinging loose behind the bumper. I had to drive the car for 3 months before it made it to the body shop and the error messages from autopilot were annoying me. I disconnected the radar sensor and they went away. It made the wait a lot more pleasant. Today was supposed to be my scheduled pick up date.

Now, I went ahead to fix it -- four months to get the broken roof window in stock -- nov to end of feb. Finally got the cycles to take it to the shop 30 miles away and they said when they opened it up, they found that they needed to replace an additional seal -- instead of a few days, has been three weeks and counting!!!
This is the ONE thing that is scaring the crap out of me from buying a 2nd Tesla. It's sad Tesla doesn't understand that such things matter and make a difference.

I called the number and spoke with somebody in the body shop advocacy team. She said she would look into it and call me back later in the day. She actually did this after talking to the body shop. Basically, the body shop was telling the truth. Apparently there are 3 missing parts. 2 of which will most likely ship next week. The third part is an unknown. She said she would call back tomorrow after she did some more research. She was hoping she might be able to track down the part from a different region.
I'm pleasantly suprised that somebody at Tesla actually called me back when they said they would. I'm quite disappointed the body shop was telling me the truth and there is currently no eta for one of the parts needed to fix my car. Maybe tomorrow will bring better news

See, my experience has been so different. Parts in a week.. then again I'm in LA and the shop stores lots of parts.
My wife ran her new 90D into a curb, broke the front wheel off, and car was trucked to Class Auto in Signal Hill (Long Beach). They kept it 4 months and one week and blamed Tesla for not supplying parts. Where are you in L.A. that you have lots of parts? I need to know where to go if something happens, and have the car back in less than 4 months.

I called the number and spoke with somebody in the body shop advocacy team. She said she would look into it and call me back later in the day. She actually did this after talking to the body shop. Basically, the body shop was telling the truth. Apparently there are 3 missing parts. 2 of which will most likely ship next week. The third part is an unknown. She said she would call back tomorrow after she did some more research. She was hoping she might be able to track down the part from a different region.
I'm pleasantly suprised that somebody at Tesla actually called me back when they said they would. I'm quite disappointed the body shop was telling me the truth and there is currently no eta for one of the parts needed to fix my car. Maybe tomorrow will bring better news
Glad to here Tesla is now helping. I'm a bit disappointed that this issue still exists. I was really hoping the body shop was screwing you over -- as was my case (better the body shop than Tesla).

Reactions: Vern Padgett

What parts are they waiting for?

What parts are they waiting for?
Waiting on brackets to hold the bumper to the fender and the bracket that holds radar sensor in place. Rep confirmed that this was accurate. I'm guessing that the problem is going to be the bracket for the radar sensor. I would assume its different then what is being used with ap2 cars. This is pure speculation on my part though. My car is a refreshed Model S with AP1

I just wanted to leave a positive update. My parts came in and the bodyshop had the car fixed and flat bedded back to me 24 hours later. I believe calling the advocacy number helped. The funny thing was that tesla was emailing me telling me they still didn't have an eta for the radar bracket when the car was fixed and in transit back to me.

It's not just body parts. The Austin service center told me it would take a month for them to get a charger for my car when it failed. They said it's because I have the old (40A) charger. But if a charger goes bad, wouldn't it likely be one of the older ones? It did take exactly a month for them to get it, then my car was ready the next day. I didn't mind though as I was driving a P85 loaner for the month.

My Car got rear ended twice in a month. First time it happend in nov last year and then same story body shop said waiting for parts and it took almost 1.5 months to get the car back. Service dept at dublin ordered my rear seats as it won;t move forward or rear and it was stuck so they ordered new seat in november and i got my seat in feb. 2nd accident rear ended again and this time body shop said almost you will be out close to 2.5 months so i am still waiting. Today tesla asked how is your body shop repair going so i said forget about them why don;t you take care of parts as body shop said we are still waiting for parts or you give me a car to drive for a month till i wait and she will check with managers and let me know!

Reactions: xborg
I have a lot of experience with this issue as i have had two different Tesla's that have needed body work (out of the four I have/do own.

My first experience was a 7 week + process last October/November to repair damage to the front end from a 15mph accident. The body shop told me it was a 3-5 day repair on a normal car but it ended up being 7+ weeks on the Tesla because they couldn't get parts to finish the repair job. Luckily, my service center is AWESOME and I emailed/called them and the service manager took a special interest in helping resolve this. I then heard Tesla was going to help fix this issue with the post from Tesla President of Global Sales and Service Jon McNeill.

So my second experience began about 4 weeks ago, my wife's Tesla Model S 90D had a 5mph accident where she ended up rear ending a car slamming on the brakes ahead of her in stop and go traffic. I can accept the $8000+ costs for the repair for a high end car (although that does seem quite high for such a small accident), but what I cannot accept is that it has now been over 4 weeks and still no car. The shop is still waiting on parts.

Dear Tesla and Approved Auto Body shops, the frustration lies as follows: Despite both of these accidents, I had a perfectly drivable car with cosmetic damage. Because you guys cannot coordinate parts (the shop tells me they are sent COD), you're approved shops don't have any spare parts lying around. As such, when they dissemble my car and I have to drive an ICE rental, I now have lost both faith and excitement for my Tesla and future Teslas. Why would I buy a car that takes so long to fix?? An easy solution is to have basic parts required by the APPROVED shops. You limit where I can get my car fixed and then don't make sure they can fix it. Great business practice, Elon. This ineptitude and oversight really help your stock and confidence in Tesla in the future. As I think about my next car purchase, this will weigh heavily in my decision process. Now this is coming from a guy who has bought or owned 4 new Teslas over the last 3 years. Imagine what the non-Tesla owning person will think?

BTW I typed this whole message while waiting on hold with customer service trying to find out the status of my repair...and I type 30 wpm.

After ordering an MS windshield on 4/18, the windshield finally arrived and the work was completed on 6/7. While the body shop was able to install the windshield in a day, the two month wait for a replacement Tesla windshield makes me wonder what would happen if I was on a cross country drive with serious windshield damage.

(The original Motley Fool story is now shown at the Yahoo home page. As a news story, the facts are starting to be published far and wide.)

• Informative
Reactions: NewCow
I have a lot of experience with this issue as i have had two different Tesla's that have needed body work (out of the four I have/do own.

My first experience was a 7 week + process last October/November to repair damage to the front end from a 15mph accident. The body shop told me it was a 3-5 day repair on a normal car but it ended up being 7+ weeks on the Tesla because they couldn't get parts to finish the repair job. Luckily, my service center is AWESOME and I emailed/called them and the service manager took a special interest in helping resolve this. I then heard Tesla was going to help fix this issue with the post from Tesla President of Global Sales and Service Jon McNeill.

So my second experience began about 4 weeks ago, my wife's Tesla Model S 90D had a 5mph accident where she ended up rear ending a car slamming on the brakes ahead of her in stop and go traffic. I can accept the $8000+ costs for the repair for a high end car (although that does seem quite high for such a small accident), but what I cannot accept is that it has now been over 4 weeks and still no car. The shop is still waiting on parts.

Dear Tesla and Approved Auto Body shops, the frustration lies as follows: Despite both of these accidents, I had a perfectly drivable car with cosmetic damage. Because you guys cannot coordinate parts (the shop tells me they are sent COD), you're approved shops don't have any spare parts lying around. As such, when they dissemble my car and I have to drive an ICE rental, I now have lost both faith and excitement for my Tesla and future Teslas. Why would I buy a car that takes so long to fix?? An easy solution is to have basic parts required by the APPROVED shops. You limit where I can get my car fixed and then don't make sure they can fix it. Great business practice, Elon. This ineptitude and oversight really help your stock and confidence in Tesla in the future. As I think about my next car purchase, this will weigh heavily in my decision process. Now this is coming from a guy who has bought or owned 4 new Teslas over the last 3 years. Imagine what the non-Tesla owning person will think?

BTW I typed this whole message while waiting on hold with customer service trying to find out the status of my repair...and I type 30 wpm.
I have to agree completely-- After my wife's new S was at Class Auto, an approved Tesla body shop for 4 months and one week (FOUR MONTHS and one week), I'm pretty much nervous every time we drive it that we'll have another horrible experience like that.

Reactions: MinkuC and mal_tsla