Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Motor drive fail, Battery failx2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have Model X, 2019. Bought new on 31 Dec-2018. 45000 miles today.

In Oct 2021 - battery unit died. Tesla relaced. 100% charge was at 296 miles went down to 258 miles.

In January 23- 2022- car suddenly stoped on main street when taking turn. Messege poped up unable to drive. In a split second it stopped in the middle of the road, not giving me any chance to pull over , slow or understand what happend?! Lucky me Car behind my wheel - a giant Ford truck puy break.

Tesla towed car to service center to evaluate and fix.

January 23 to April 01, 2022-tried to fix and took 68 days. When discussing, I asked,

Why car stopped? - Ans. - Drive unit failed and in turn battery also failed(again second time).

What makes drive unit fail?- Ans. It happens , its common.

Me: if its v common then why it did NOT give me an alert to pull over, and in less than a second it stoped?

Tesla Tech: Alert may not come?

Me: Why ?! Tesla is smart car without many mechanical parts, gas cars shows alerts for big issue, Tesla should!

Tesla tech: I dont know?

Me: Share statistics how many cars you have an issue with drive units? What % of chance my cat have that it will stop suddenly in middle of the road, without alert, and what if I go on highway and it happens again? Is there any alert or guarantee that it will not happen again ? I may be not lucky on highway or main street? All cars gives indications of sevice alert of key component failing , why this car did not even alerted , or allowed me time to pull over before it jerkyly suddenly stopped?

Tesla tech: it happens, but we fixed. ( refurbished motor drive unit, refurbished battery pack).

Me: Wouldn’t Tesla have 2 drive units, if one fails , car still can drive?

Tesla tech: yes it does.

Me: if my car’s one drive unit died in less than a second, in middle of street, without any prior indication- then what happened with the second drive unit ? Why car could not use second drive unit?

Tesla Tech: It won’t. ?! Also Only alerts for big things.

Me: Why?

Because car needs both drive units?!

Tesla tech: It v well may! But I cant say for sure.

Me: Plz tell me - this sudden failing of motor unit and aling with that battery unit will not go off on highway when I am driving, I cant die !

Tesla: I cant guarantee or warrantee anything.

Me: share data , how many cars with similar issue is on the road and no recurring issue or safety related matter because i know one model 3 driver died on the spot when car suddenly stopped?

Tesla Tech: I cant share anything. I dont have any data other than what is fixed.

Me: Put me in touch with who gave guidance on how to fix?

Tesla Tech: we consulted engineers who identified issue. They are at factory and will not talk to you.

Me: okay then you convince me that failing of drive unit without an alert will not happen on highway.

Tesla tech: I cant .

Me: Then I cant accept car that you put refurbished parts with, not knowing any satisfactory reason to take car with me.

Tesla tech: you ll be charged $35 per day if you dont pick up.

Me: Well I am here to pick up but smart car is not smart enough to give alert when suddenly stopping. My life is at stake, I am not going to drive unless you tell me that BIG issue that your factory engineered fixed , if it happens again then TESLA will promot me an alert for ‘BIG’ things as you said my car problem was big and so it should give me an alert, no?!

Tesla Tech: It should.

Me: It did not.

Tesla Tech: Well , I dont know.

Me: I am not getting the car and not oaying $35, as I convinced you that car should alert and it did not. Call me when u figure out !

Any insight ? Suggestions? Any thoughts? Your experience?!

Do not put negative comments. I am looking for some insight to rectify my situation to be able to feel safe when I drive again. I was scared when car stopped! TIA

Do not put negative comments. I am looking for some insight to rectify my situation to be able to feel safe when I drive again. I was scared when car stopped! TIA

This isnt a moderation comment (I am not a moderator for this subforum) but you dont get to control the narrative of your post.

We allow differing opinions here, as long as they are not personal attacks, so you dont get to determine who does and does not get to reply to your thread, nor dictate "only replies I like" which is what it looks like. I read your post, and am sorry that you are having issues, but your insistence to tesla to "show me XXX why I should take the car, I am not picking it up and not paying you to store it" is misguided.

Given the auto market, what you should likely do is pick up the car, list it for sale, then get into either another car, or another brand if you dont feel safe with that car. Not picking up your car after they tell you "its ready, we are going to charge you for storage if you dont pick it up" is just fighting to be fighting.

If the car spent 68 days in service, you could have also started lemon law proceedings at that time as 30 DAVIS days (days vehicle in service) is the thresshold for starting those proceedings. Perhaps you can lemon it still, but thats a fairly drawn out process. It would be easier to simply sell it and move on with your life. No car is worth being scared to drive it, and if thats where you are, you should sell it (but not simply leave it at the service center and think they are not going to charge you because you wont pick up your car).

This isnt a moderation comment (I am not a moderator for this subforum) but you dont get to control the narrative of your post.

We allow differing opinions here, as long as they are not personal attacks, so you dont get to determine who does and does not get to reply to your thread, nor dictate "only replies I like" which is what it looks like. I read your post, and am sorry that you are having issues, but your insistence to tesla to "show me XXX why I should take the car, I am not picking it up and not paying you to store it" is misguided.

Given the auto market, what you should likely do is pick up the car, list it for sale, then get into either another car, or another brand if you dont feel safe with that car. Not picking up your car after they tell you "its ready, we are going to charge you for storage if you dont pick it up" is just fighting to be fighting.

If the car spent 68 days in service, you could have also started lemon law proceedings at that time as 30 DAVIS days (days vehicle in service) is the thresshold for starting those proceedings. Perhaps you can lemon it still, but thats a fairly drawn out process. It would be easier to simply sell it and move on with your life. No car is worth being scared to drive it, and if thats where you are, you should sell it (but not simply leave it at the service center and think they are not going to charge you because you wont pick up your car).
I am goimg to do as much as I can! But question is before I sell this car, before I resolve- I drive this and encounter an accident due to the same issie happen again , who is responsible?

I am planning to do lemon, etc. but its ridicules to see tesla technical person is super dumb to answer any technical questions!

As long as Tesla's order books are full, they will not change their customer service. You should look elsewhere for a vehicle. The good news is that used car rates are sky high so I would pick up your Model X and trade it in on a different car. If you need 6 or 7 seats I'm not aware of an EV alternative. If you only need 5, there are lots of options. BMW iX is closest to Model X. If you can go with a smaller vehicle there are lots of options - Volvo XC40, Hyundai Kona, etc.

Yes, the non-Tesla charging network is not as robust as Tesla but this will change. The govt is working to incentivize more charging infrastructure and I think that Tesla will add (or convert to) CCS plugs at their Superchargers so they can expand charging to non-Teslas for extra revenue and also to participate in those govt incentives.

• Helpful
Reactions: Brando

In Oct 2021 - battery unit died. Tesla relaced. 100% charge was at 296 miles went down to 258 miles.

In January 23- 2022- car suddenly stoped on main street when taking turn. Messege poped up unable to drive. In a split second it stopped in the middle of the road, not giving me any chance to pull over , slow or understand what happend?! Lucky me Car behind my wheel - a giant Ford truck puy break.

January 23 to April 01, 2022-tried to fix and took 68 days. When discussing, I asked,

Why car stopped? - Ans. - Drive unit failed and in turn battery also failed(again second time).

Me: if its v common then why it did NOT give me an alert to pull over, and in less than a second it stoped?

Me: Why ?! Tesla is smart car without many mechanical parts, gas cars shows alerts for big issue, Tesla should!

Me: Share statistics how many cars you have an issue with drive units? What % of chance my cat have that it will stop suddenly in middle of the road, without alert, and what if I go on highway and it happens again? Is there any alert or guarantee that it will not happen again ? I may be not lucky on highway or main street? All cars gives indications of sevice alert of key component failing , why this car did not even alerted , or allowed me time to pull over before it jerkyly suddenly stopped?

Tesla tech: it happens, but we fixed. ( refurbished motor drive unit, refurbished battery pack).

Me: if my car’s one drive unit died in less than a second, in middle of street, without any prior indication- then what happened with the second drive unit ? Why car could not use second drive unit?

Me: Plz tell me - this sudden failing of motor unit and aling with that battery unit will not go off on highway when I am driving, I cant die !

Me: share data , how many cars with similar issue is on the road and no recurring issue or safety related matter because i know one model 3 driver died on the spot when car suddenly stopped?

Tesla Tech: I cant share anything. I dont have any data other than what is fixed.

Tesla Tech: we consulted engineers who identified issue. They are at factory and will not talk to you.

Me: okay then you convince me that failing of drive unit without an alert will not happen on highway.

Me: Then I cant accept car that you put refurbished parts with, not knowing any satisfactory reason to take car with me.

Me: Well I am here to pick up but smart car is not smart enough to give alert when suddenly stopping. My life is at stake, I am not going to drive unless you tell me that BIG issue that your factory engineered fixed , if it happens again then TESLA will promot me an alert for ‘BIG’ things as you said my car problem was big and so it should give me an alert, no?!

Me: I am not getting the car and not oaying $35, as I convinced you that car should alert and it did not. Call me when u figure out !

A similar thing happened to my ‘16 Signature P90D and I share your concerns about being marooned in a disabled car.

First, driving a mile from home, I got an alert for “limited speed and acceleration”, service required, and limped home. The car was jerking and very unstable. I got it in my driveway and called Roadside Service. It was towed to the SS. My rear motor failed supposedly due to “not enough megohms“ (say what???) according to the service manager. A ground fault somewhere, I guess. I doubt if the SS really knows as they don’t diagnose anything but just replace parts (after weeks of waiting for them). Rear drive was replaced under warranty.

Second, in the garage a few months later, I got a “Service Required. May not restart” on my way to an appointment. It cleared but came back two weeks later. Evidently the battery coolant pump had a ground fault. Replaced at my expense after three weeks in the SS.

Both these failures were unexpected and could have left me marooned on the side of the road.
I told the SS Manager that my Model X “was the worst car I’ve ever owned but also the best.” Great features but completely unreliable.

I did a calculation: after 33,000 miles in 6 years, my X has spent MORE THAN TWO HOURS IN THE SHOP FOR EVERY HOUR ON THE ROAD.” Most of that time waiting for parts.

This is really intolerable for a $143,000 car.

...Do not put negative comments...
Facts and truth can be negative so asking for input with censorship seems not to be wise.

...smart car is not smart enough to give alert when suddenly stopping....

Assuming a Tesla is "smart" is not prudent. That's why people still got into accidents from low-speed summons to high-speed fatalities.

Some failures are gradual that could be predicted (such as low fob voltage alert) and some are sudden with no predictability possible such as in some Drive Unit failures.

Tesla had a hard time with the original Tesla Roadster Transmission system and it tried to solve that in a Model S drive unit.

There were also quite a few Model S drive unit failures and after 2 years, in 2014, Tesla has increased its warranty from 4 years to 8 years.

Thus, this problem is not new. It has carried over since the time of the Roadster till now.

Engineers have tried their best to get the system "smarter" but they are still human and it is not prudent to think that they are so smart to solve the problem in just 14 years after the first introduction of the Roadster in 2008.

Same kind of "smartness" that resulted in the recent firing of a Tesla employee after posting the FSD beta colliding with the green bollard after Tesla predicted in 2013 that Tesla Self-Driving will be only 3 years away (2016).

"Smart" takes time and decades may not be long enough for achieving "smart".

I can very simply imagine that poor technicians face if you talked to him like you talk to us here.
Not the best way to get serious answers, thats for sure.

This is the OPs recount of how the conversation goes. If my life spent in customer service (either performing or managing people who perform customer service) has taught me anything, its that when people recount these type of stories, their view of the interaction many times does not match the person on the other end of that interactions view of the same interaction.

Said another way, the OPs recount is going to be the one that shows "their side" the best, so if you see things in this recount that would give you pause as to the nature of the conversation, I can virtually guarantee that the person on the other side of that conversation would not remember it the same way its recounted here.

• Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: SO16 and Brando

Things break. It happens. Taking it out on a tech is not going to yield anything positive. You could escalate, but I'm not sure what they could do to make you happy. Nobody is going to guarantee parts will not break in the future.

You can drive on the rear motor now without the front motor running

Attachments

• MOTOR.JPG
    MOTOR.JPG
    166.8 KB · Views: 145
  • Informative
Reactions: SO16
My drive shaft on my BMW broke without warning. Jammed up the rear wheels and it came to a sudden stop during rush hour.

Teslas are radically innovative works in progress - it took gas cars 100 years to really perfect the system. Tesla has done a really good job in the years they have bene around. Things happen and it does stink that its such an expensive vehicle. I'm happy you were okay. On the safety issue, I feel much safer in my Model Y than my Mercedes GLB or C300. I never realized how often we look away from the road and get distracted.

As long as they fix it and learn from their mistakes, Ill be happy with my space/rocket ship of the road. Everyone's different, thats just my two cents.

...and I grew up in a car shop. Asking the wrench turner engineering questions is always gonna get that reaction... Even on a Mercedes. :D

My drive shaft on my BMW broke without warning. Jammed up the rear wheels and it came to a sudden stop during rush hour.

Teslas are radically innovative works in progress - it took gas cars 100 years to really perfect the system. Tesla has done a really good job in the years they have bene around. Things happen and it does stink that its such an expensive vehicle. I'm happy you were okay. On the safety issue, I feel much safer in my Model Y than my Mercedes GLB or C300. I never realized how often we look away from the road and get distracted.

As long as they fix it and learn from their mistakes, Ill be happy with my space/rocket ship of the road. Everyone's different, thats just my two cents.

...and I grew up in a car shop. Asking the wrench turner engineering questions is always gonna get that reaction... Even on a Mercedes. :D

I think that's the biggest issue. When Porsche's GT3s were catching on fire they issued a recall and extended the warranties on all the affected cars. If the same were to happen with Tesla, they'd just let everything play out until the NHTSA forced their hand with a recall. Off the top of my head: eMMC and control arms. It'll be interesting what happens with AP.

Well said. I grew as a second generation mechanic in my dad's shop (now my brother's). A mechanic, even at dealership, is not any more plugged into what the engineers and designers, and above all management and bean counters, do than anyone else. They get Service Bulletins and training from the manufacturer and can tell you what they see fail. They report issues up the chain, and get back to work fixing the next car.

Reactions: SO16
I think that's the biggest issue. When Porsche's GT3s were catching on fire they issued a recall and extended the warranties on all the affected cars. If the same were to happen with Tesla, they'd just let everything play out until the NHTSA forced their hand with a recall. Off the top of my head: eMMC and control arms. It'll be interesting what happens with AP.
This. The problem isn't the tech. It's the complete lack of customer service and communication. I'm on the fence as to whether it is out of malice or simply incompetence.

Reactions: buckets0fun
I got stuck at the point the Tech put in a Remanufactured Parts in a car under warranty that costs over 100K. Frankly, new parts should have been put in and an explanation as to how a car could stop in the middle of the highway is in order. Agree that the tech side of the story may be different, but at the core was a very difficult issue to explain and no assurance that the vehicle issue would not re-occur. At 100K plus they could have purchased a Mercedes AMG or a EQS, competition it is a coming and we all we be the better for it.

Also some interesting issues at play here, in an ICE vehicle a Drivetrain failure would generally let you get to the side of the road, albeit with some really bad damage possible. In the Tesla or other EV it will stop the car dead in it's tracks some times, this is scarry.

As to Tesla as a whole, it is a changing company, the employees clearly are not as engaged and in Love with the company or the job as they were just a few years ago, this is typical as companies are moving away from Service and towards Self Service. Tesla is on the front line for this, and it in my humble opinion sucks.
We picked up a model 3 and the message from the App on pickup was that no Vehicle Orientation would be available, simply watch the videos and pick up the car.