TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Motor efficiency - break in?

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by pairtrader, Jun 11, 2014.

1. pairtrader

pairtrader Member

After a few thousand km on my Model S, it seems that my range has improved a bit. I have no data or expertise to back this up, but it really seems as though my efficiency has improved. My kWh/km continues to slowly trend down. Is there any chance that the motor has been broken in a bit and increased it's efficiency, or perhaps the gains are all from more efficient driving and slower speeds. Any input?

2. David99

David99 Active Member

I never heard of a break in time for electric motors. The design doesn't suggest that either.
    Maybe it's increasing temperatures? A less wet road can make a noticeable difference. Maybe you are getting more used to the car. I remember it took me a while to get used to driving with regenerative braking.

3. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

There is no break-in for an electric motor. There may be break-in for the reduction gears, though I doubt it. More likely it's weather related.

4. djp

djp Roadster 2.0 VIN939

Agreed, warmer air is less dense and rain will also hurt range. You'll see better numbers in summer than winter.

5. pairtrader

pairtrader Member

Thanks. This is my first season change with my S85 and it bodes well for my summer road trips.

6. darthvdr

darthvdr Member

I asked the same question when we first took delivery and DS told us we can drive our P85+ hard immediately.

7. Brass Guy

Brass Guy Member

Either the weather, or your demo thrill rides are diminishing as you've shown it off to all your friends by now.

8. Alipapa

Alipapa Member

Is there any oil or grease in the reduction gearing?

9. drees

drees Active Member

Tires will break in over the course of a couple thousand miles, and the rolling resistance will go down.

10. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

Yes, there is lubricant.