Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Motor Failure 24hrs After Delivery?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I posted on another thread that my 2021 Model 3 had a rear motor failure with less than 500 miles on the odometer. I came off a stop and heard the dreaded "thud" followed by about 5 error messages on the display. Tesla was great about repairing it but they would not explain to me what happened no matter how hard I pressed. I'm unsure if I have much confidence in their manufacturing or their communication skills at this point but I'm certain that sooner or later I'll either get an answer or I'll fill in the blanks myself.

I posted on another thread that my 2021 Model 3 had a rear motor failure with less than 500 miles on the odometer. I came off a stop and heard the dreaded "thud" followed by about 5 error messages on the display. Tesla was great about repairing it but they would not explain to me what happened no matter how hard I pressed. I'm unsure if I have much confidence in their manufacturing or their communication skills at this point but I'm certain that sooner or later I'll either get an answer or I'll fill in the blanks myself.
They likely do not know why. They just know its broken and needs to be fixed... More and more things are not made to rebuild. Only replace whats broken and move on...

They likely do not know why. They just know its broken and needs to be fixed... More and more things are not made to rebuild. Only replace whats broken and move on...
For something as major as a motor failure I would think Tesla would want to know why. My guess is the service center sent it back to Austin for analysis but they never actually hear back.

If motor failure is not reported to the federal agency there will not be any incidents to cause a recall. If Tesla repairs and does not disclose what was repaired it will probably not show up on the VIN reporting as a repair. In California you are entitled to the return of the parts replaced in the repair. I think this applies even to warranty repairs. The non-disclosure and reporting protects Tesla and somewhat the owner. When you decide to sell and forget to disclose the warranty repair since it does not show on the VIN search......I'm just sayin.

• Disagree
Reactions: outdoors
If motor failure is not reported to the federal agency there will not be any incidents to cause a recall. If Tesla repairs and does not disclose what was repaired it will probably not show up on the VIN reporting as a repair. In California you are entitled to the return of the parts replaced in the repair. I think this applies even to warranty repairs. The non-disclosure and reporting protects Tesla and somewhat the owner. When you decide to sell and forget to disclose the warranty repair since it does not show on the VIN search......I'm just sayin.
I don’t think you get to keep warranty replaced parts. Only on parts you pay for.

Warranty is there for a reason—if something will fail, it will likely fail early on and they will fix it. That’s why it is offered as there is understanding there can be gaps in QA, etc.

You most definitely do not get to keep your old parts after a warranty repair.

Reactions: zpaul and Pianewman
I took delivery of my MYP and 100km later it had a rear motor failure followed by a message saying I can't drive the car.

Is this a common thing for Tesla? I googled and found a few people mention it but figured you guys would know the most.

Yes, this is apparently a common issue in new 2022 model Y’s…as I just found out the hard way today. Our model Y is only a month old and while parked in our garage it would not go in reverse or forward and had these res flashing error messages stating: Power reduced, rear motor temporary disabled; Vehicle shutting down pull over safely. Had a tow truck come in 30 min and then had to drive w tow truck driver to service center in Austin where they had no loaners. So they gave me Uber credits for 4 days…pretty weak spending that much on a brand new vehicle and they cannot provide a complimentary loaner.

It's a matter of statistics as anything can happen to a brand new product. Quality Controls would help but it's not perfect either.

Most likely, you'll be fine after this issue is fixed.
I took delivery of my MYP and 100km later it had a rear motor failure followed by a message saying I can't drive the car.

Is this a common thing for Tesla? I googled and found a few people mention it but figured you guys would know the most.

My 2022 Tesla 3 dual motor long range which was delivered less than a month ago and has 580 miles had a similar issue. While trying to drive from a parking lot, I noticed that I couldn’t go in reverse or drive followed by a beep and error messages (rear motor disabled, park the vehicle etc). The vehicle was towed to a service center.

Yeah, I've described it as a 1/1000 thing with new Tesla deliveries. It's a known failure, but across the whole spectrum it's very rare. Get a new motor installed and you'll be fine. If mine fails in the first few hundred miles when I pick up my Y, I'll consider myself lucky and just get it dealt with ASAP. Really astounding they haven't updated the part yet to fix this issue, though. It's been happening for a long time now.