Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Motor Failure While Driving My Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am new to this forum, but had to join to tell you about a VERY bad experience with my new Model Y. Waited 10 months for it, and enjoyed it a lot for 5 months. I hired a driver to take it from our home in MA to Florida. 10 minutes from our house, he called to say it had just stopped dead in the middle of an intersection, but he managed to get it to the side of the road. No warning on the screen that there's a problem.
After a terrible experience with "roadside assistance" (no help whatsoever), a tow truck was called to take it to the service center. After a hour I was told that one of the motors had failed, and had to be replaced. It would take 2 days to find and ship the parts to them. In the meantime, I had hired this driver, and had to fly him back to FL, at my expense of course. I got a HUGE run around from the service advisor, and the manager was out of the office, so there was no on else to talk to. By this time, I was furious.
Finally, 2 days later, the service manager called, and attempted to make things right. Explained that the motor shipment is a delicate thing, with hazardous materials in it, and couldn't be shipped any other way. He said they will drop everything and install it in my car as soon as it comes, and they will send me $300 for my trouble and expense.
Has anyone else had this problem?
What would happen if I'd been driving 70 in the passing lane on a highway? The service manager explained that there would be "a few minutes" to pull over, and that there's a warning that popped up saying "low power". Ok, how in the world would I know what that means?? Also, I'm 74, and the type is too small to be easily seen. How about huge letters and maybe even a warning sound? This could easily have been a disaster in which lives were lost. The service manager acknowleged this, ok, but what will be done?

How would I know what the warning signs mean??
They are displayed on the screen for the driver to read. If the sounds don't cause you to look at the screen to see what's wrong, I don't know what to tell you.

The error states "Vehicle Shutting Down, PULL OVER SAFELY" in a bright red bubble when this occurs. If you cannot see this on the screen, that isn't Tesla's fault.
40e25469-365d-443d-af51-f79879cf6e46-jpeg.771608

They are displayed on the screen for the driver to read. If the sounds don't cause you to look at the screen to see what's wrong, I don't know what to tell you.

The error states "Vehicle Shutting Down, PULL OVER SAFELY" in a bright red bubble when this occurs. If you cannot see this on the screen, that isn't Tesla's fault.
40e25469-365d-443d-af51-f79879cf6e46-jpeg.771608
Thinking about this from an instrumentation/work standpoint (I work in the nuclear industry), it does seem like maybe some larger/simpler warnings would be better for the UI. I haven't experienced this myself, though, so it's hard to say.

Sounds like the Service Center is doing everything they can, to expedite the installation of the drive unit and going above and beyond to compensate you for the expense of the flight. Things can happen like this from any auto manufacturer. You had some bad luck, so did I. I had some road debris take out my front drive unit when the vehicle was only about a week old. Tesla replaced the front drive unit and the vehicle has been perfect ever since. The whole last paragraph, is just a big "What if" scenarios, so I will completely disregard it.

Reactions: vlee and Gray Man