Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Motor making a new noise at slow speed? 2020.12.11.2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Morning all. Day before yesterday taking the car out for a short trip fully warmed up as us Brits enjoy some hot weather for once! I noticed whilst at slower speeds there seems to be more electrical motor whine. Now I am not complaining there seems to be nothing wrong with its function and its still way quieter than and ICE. But I wondered if anyone knows of a technical reason for this? Is it the way the power is now delivered when rolling? Is it meant to be louder for people outside to hear a Tesla without the noise maker? Its just the car used to be silent on slow roll I am at a tiny 4353 miles. Hope everyone is enjoying the summer battery boost!

P.S. I lost 10 miles of rated range after this update.

This thread might help.
“Bubbatech” stated he believes it’s the Inverters making the high pitched sound when the FETS are switching.

They seem to switch more when involved with preheating then battery, or in hot weather, maybe involved in cooling it ?
Not sure, I’m speculating.

but here’s the thread.
High pitched noise from drive unit

Ohh bingo OK maybe worth combining my post? This seems to fit the profile.

I also noticed this new whine this morning on my drive to work. I updated last night after getting home. Very noticeable and only low speeds like when moving under 10mph in traffic or slowing to a stop sign. I don't really care for it as I could hear it over my music

Reactions: CertLive