Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Motor shutdown

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Model Y little over a year old. 15k miles with essentially no problems. Entered car to drive 3 days ago but would not shift to drive forward or reverse. Red oval warning on screen to pull over to safe place because rear motor was temporarily shutting down…car was in park. Tried rebooting but came back to same screen and situation. Called roadside service. After getting info for my car they reported id’ing same warming for my car on their end. My phone call was going thru vehicle…crackling on phone…lost call…screen went blank then came back on with vehicle working normally. Appointment scheduled for evaluation. Anyone else with this warning? Lasted about 10 minutes that Y could not be used.

I had this exact fiasco a few weeks ago. Sat in the car for a half hour on the phone with roadside. Got out for a few mins to greet to tow truck, and when I got back in everything was completely normal, errors were cleared. The tow kindly followed me a few miles to my local SC.

They were very accommodating and apologetic. Ran full diagnostics just to be sure everything was safe. They said unfortunately this is a known firmware bug, which needs a very specific but rare set of criteria to occur, and seems to only happen when parked / entering a vehicle that was asleep.

They said it should be fixed with the next software update, but if it happens again, get out of the car, wait 4-5 mins for it to enter a sleep cycle, and get back in and it should be fine. Sounds like that’s what happened in your case. It hasn’t happened to me since.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I had this happen 12 days ago. I hadn't even shifted out of park yet. I got out waited 20 min and came back and the errors were gone. It's been fine since and the service team ran some diagnostics and said it was a software issue. They said sometimes the vehicle needs the "Drive Rail" cycled.

Best way to cycle the drive rail is to exit the vehicle > lock vehicle > wait 15 seconds > then re-enter the vehicle.

Upvote 0
Ok, so I posted this on different threads already, but didn't get any comments so far, so I'm just gonna put this here as well:

Picked up my new Tesla on 2/2 and had to get it towed to SC 2 days later. Went to a supercharger on Thursday to try it out (battery was at 45% and I charged to 90%) a few miles after that I got a warning on my screen saying the front motor was disabled and to bring the car to service. I didn't pay too much attention and went about my day. On Friday my car wouldn't let me put it in D, and all the warnings were on (front motor disabled, regen disabled, ABS disabled, etc.) Got it towed to SC and waiting to hear back on Monday. Needless to say I am losing my mind after having waited 5 months to get a faulty car. I am just hoping this was a one off and will get fixed for good, and glad it didn't happen on the freeway like some people have reported!

Anyone else experienced that?

Upvote 0
Ok, so I posted this on different threads already, but didn't get any comments so far, so I'm just gonna put this here as well:

Picked up my new Tesla on 2/2 and had to get it towed to SC 2 days later. Went to a supercharger on Thursday to try it out (battery was at 45% and I charged to 90%) a few miles after that I got a warning on my screen saying the front motor was disabled and to bring the car to service. I didn't pay too much attention and went about my day. On Friday my car wouldn't let me put it in D, and all the warnings were on (front motor disabled, regen disabled, ABS disabled, etc.) Got it towed to SC and waiting to hear back on Monday. Needless to say I am losing my mind after having waited 5 months to get a faulty car. I am just hoping this was a one off and will get fixed for good, and glad it didn't happen on the freeway like some people have reported!

Anyone else experienced that?
Hope they find a quick fix but in the future If you ever have a screen say Failure bring to service asap consider not ignoring it!

Reactions: damonbrodie
Upvote 0
I had this happen 12 days ago. I hadn't even shifted out of park yet. I got out waited 20 min and came back and the errors were gone. It's been fine since and the service team ran some diagnostics and said it was a software issue. They said sometimes the vehicle needs the "Drive Rail" cycled.

Best way to cycle the drive rail is to exit the vehicle > lock vehicle > wait 15 seconds > then re-enter the vehicle.
Thanks for posting this! Totally worked for me. My model S shut down in the middle of the road and I was waiting for a tow truck. Then my daughter found your advice and it helped my MS to be able to drive again!

Upvote 0
I believe I had this 10 months ago
there is a fault in the high voltage system, but not a real malfunction....
so, you have to get the car to fully shut down - get that main relay to turn off.
That''s why part of the voodoo is to get out of the car for a period of time.
I suppose you might also be able to power down the car fully and sit there and touch nothing until you hear that relay 'clunk'?
But, getting out of the car, closing the doors, letting the car shut down allows the 'high voltage' system to reboot.

Upvote 0
I believe I had this 10 months ago
there is a fault in the high voltage system, but not a real malfunction....
so, you have to get the car to fully shut down - get that main relay to turn off.
That''s why part of the voodoo is to get out of the car for a period of time.
I suppose you might also be able to power down the car fully and sit there and touch nothing until you hear that relay 'clunk'?
But, getting out of the car, closing the doors, letting the car shut down allows the 'high voltage' system to reboot.
Both actually didn't do the trick for me.

Upvote 0
Yea my pickup date i
Still waiting! They said last Wednesday, then Monday 2/14 and now 2/18... I will keep you all posted and let you know what the issue was.
yup My estimated repair date is 2/18 although seems they are still in the diagnostics phase. My car has been at the service center near Los Angeles International Airport / fox hills mall since last Thursday. I asked if they could tell me which error codes they saw since the malfunction happened when they were driving. service agent said they’d try to get the info from the technicians. No info yet. I figure I don’t bother them anymore. they moved the car to a different location in the parking lot on Monday. So I guess it can drive a tad. Meanwhile, I’m reading up on California lemon law 😬.

Upvote 0
Yea my pickup date i

yup My estimated repair date is 2/18 although seems they are still in the diagnostics phase. My car has been at the service center near Los Angeles International Airport / fox hills mall since last Thursday. I asked if they could tell me which error codes they saw since the malfunction happened when they were driving. service agent said they’d try to get the info from the technicians. No info yet. I figure I don’t bother them anymore. they moved the car to a different location in the parking lot on Monday. So I guess it can drive a tad. Meanwhile, I’m reading up on California lemon law 😬.

my car is still in the shop. Issue started 2/10 and new completion date is 2/28 at 5PM. Last week they put in a new 12v battery thinking there was a low voltage battery issue. But issue cam back. Yesterday they think they narrowed it down to a component which controls the low voltage flow to the left side of vehicle and have a part on order. They said they marked the order as rush but with Covid and supply chain issues, who knows when it will arrive. Last week they again offered me a model s loaner and I accepted. The loaner car was a 75D Model S With free supercharging….or was there something in all the fine print saying I’d get charged for that later. 😬

Upvote 0
my car is still in the shop. Issue started 2/10 and new completion date is 2/28 at 5PM. Last week they put in a new 12v battery thinking there was a low voltage battery issue. But issue cam back. Yesterday they think they narrowed it down to a component which controls the low voltage flow to the left side of vehicle and have a part on order. They said they marked the order as rush but with Covid and supply chain issues, who knows when it will arrive. Last week they again offered me a model s loaner and I accepted. The loaner car was a 75D Model S With free supercharging….or was there something in all the fine print saying I’d get charged for that later. 😬
Same Here! Still waiting. The car's been at the SC since 2/4. Driving a Model S in the meantime. I talked to a lawyer today about Lemon law, just in case. I am 10 days away from it kicking in. The thing is, I don't want my money back, I just want my car, but with supply chains being out of wack and backup orders, there's nothing much Tesla can do to make the process faster or to replace my car with a new one... So I guess we wait... Still no idea what is wrong with it. They just told me the engineering team found out what needs to be replaced and they are now waiting for the part to arrive.

• Informative
Reactions: ElectricAnt54
Upvote 0
Got my car back. Turned out to be an issue with the front left body controller unit which supplies 12V power to the left side of vehicle. This electrical issue developed just as Tesla tech was driving my car from the body shop Tesla uses back to Tesla service center. Tesla sent my car to body shop to correct some large misalignments and panel gaps. My car was in a shady area during delivery inspection so I didn't notice the issues till seeing the car in brighter area. The body shop did an amazing job and corrected all issues such that the car looks like it came from factory totally correct. These were some large fixes. some before and after pictures are here. Jim & Jack's Collision center in El Segundo did the work. Tesla Service center did a very good job communicating with me throughout the 3 or so weeks my car was in their care. Immediately they offered a lot of uber credit but I did to need it since I had my old 2013 Volt to drive. After 1 week they offered a 75D Model S loaner with free supercharging & I was getting ready to sell Volt so I took them up on the loaner. Tesla noticed I had curbed one of the car's 21 inch Uberturbine rims. Not only had I scratched the paint, I dented the rim pretty badly. Tesla said they'd repaint the rim. However when I got my car back, the rim's dent vanished as if it had never been there. I wonder if they gave me a new rim. Finally, they took the car to the spotless car wash down the street since it was filthy due to sitting outside next to the 405 Los Angeles freeway for a few weeks.

Upvote 0
Got my car back. Turned out to be an issue with the front left body controller unit which supplies 12V power to the left side of vehicle. This electrical issue developed just as Tesla tech was driving my car from the body shop Tesla uses back to Tesla service center. Tesla sent my car to body shop to correct some large misalignments and panel gaps. My car was in a shady area during delivery inspection so I didn't notice the issues till seeing the car in brighter area. The body shop did an amazing job and corrected all issues such that the car looks like it came from factory totally correct. These were some large fixes. some before and after pictures are here. Jim & Jack's Collision center in El Segundo did the work. Tesla Service center did a very good job communicating with me throughout the 3 or so weeks my car was in their care. Immediately they offered a lot of uber credit but I did to need it since I had my old 2013 Volt to drive. After 1 week they offered a 75D Model S loaner with free supercharging & I was getting ready to sell Volt so I took them up on the loaner. Tesla noticed I had curbed one of the car's 21 inch Uberturbine rims. Not only had I scratched the paint, I dented the rim pretty badly. Tesla said they'd repaint the rim. However when I got my car back, the rim's dent vanished as if it had never been there. I wonder if they gave me a new rim. Finally, they took the car to the spotless car wash down the street since it was filthy due to sitting outside next to the 405 Los Angeles freeway for a few weeks.
Still waiting for mine, but I know they now got the part it needed, so hopefully I'll be in my own car any day now! Glad it worked out so well for you. I am still driving the Model S loaner, so no big deal!

Reactions: ElectricAnt54
Upvote 0