Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Motor Trend 2018 Car of the Yeare Article

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
"The Model 3’s punchy torque (0–60 mph in 4.8 seconds) and laserlike handling impressed every judge who buckled in—though at the price of decidedly firm ride quality."

Maybe I'm weird, but the smoothness is one of the things I hate about luxury cars. I want to feel the road. Maybe when I'm 70 I'll look for something cushy.

Reactions: IdaX
Motor Trend had a very cold way of describing the Model 3. They have had to see EV's before but the article sounded like they have their collective heads embedded in ICE vehicles. I don't think the 3 is going to win the award this year...but they could surprise me.

MT article is first mention of measured turning radius for TM3 at 38.1 feet. This compares to the following:
  • MS = 37.0
  • Honda Accord Sedan = 38.1
  • Audi A4 = 38.1
  • MBZ E class = 38.1
  • BWW 3 series = 38.4
So, in my opinion, the TM3 turning radius is a bit larger than the MS but definitely in the middle of the pack when compared with comparable vehicles, nothing unusual.

Reactions: sigmo32
Seems unlikely that they would give the award to an EV two years in a row, especially one from a niche player such as Tesla. ICE manufacturers pay the bills for car magazines.
I say the Honda Accord wins... through Motor Trend's lens, the Model 3 doesn't seem all too impressive when compared against the other cars. If I wasn't a Tesla enthusiast, I wouldn't be objectively impressed with the car based on the write-up, and I'm legitimately surprised to see them knock the size of the backseat area since this has been touted as a significant benefit in other early reviews.

Then again, how in the heck did the Bolt win last year's award!? Vote$ mu$t be for hire, and we all know Elon isn't paying...