Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Motor Trend Car of the Year 2013

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I haven't really seen the last sentence in Motor Trend's COTY video highlighted very much. Since I think it is substantial statement, here the highlight:

Tesla founder Elon Musk has often stated that his goal wasn't to build the world's best electric car, but to build the world's best car... ...that just happens to be electric.

Well, we believe he has. Which is why the Model S is Motor Trend's 2013 Car of the Year.

I was there with Cinergi, Models1079, Aaron, Huntjo and Digitaltim. Ben G, Jim R, Aaron, John and I all met up at the White Plains store and rode into the city together. We had a really great time together in NY. Thanks again Aaron for driving us all into the city. And thanks Ben (Cinergi) for the Livestream. Great video!

@teslasguy - sorry to missed you in my other post...

I had a follow-up call from a freelance writer who spoke to me at the event - Jim Motavilli - that contributes to the NY Times blog called Wheels. He asked me a number of questions about what I was buying, my reservation number and when I expected delivery which I made sure he understood that I expected delays as an early adopter - he even asked Elon about my specific delivery in the press Q&A. He also asked about my intended use as a weekly Baltimore to NJ/NY commuter.

It will be interesting if anything makes the blog and in what context. Talking to reporters is always risky....

"All hail the new eclectic electric king."

AMEN to that! I've had mine for a couple of weeks, now, and I still can't resist going out to the garage, just to be sure I'm not dreaming.

This car leaps tall buildings with a single bound and deserves every accolade that it has received.

WELL DONE, Tesla!

Jay Leno's Garage @LenosGarage

- - - Updated - - -

One of the Motor Trend judges about the possible response (based on experience) to choosing an electric vehicle as COTY:

Shock Therapy: Is America Ready for an Electric Car of the Year? - Motor Trend Blog

- - - Updated - - -

A few (;)) articles covering the COTY choice:

Tesla Model S - Motor Trend Car of the Year - Nov. 12, 2012 (CNNMoney)
Motor Trend Magazine Names Tesla Model S 'Car of the Year' (Video) - Drivers Seat - WSJ
Motor Trend: Tesla Model S Car of the Year - MSN Autos
Tesla Model S Wins MotorTrend Car of the Year | Autopia | Wired.com)
Tesla electric sedan snags Motor Trend's 'Car of the Year' award - San Jose Mercury News
2013 Motor Trend Car of the Year: Tesla Model S [w/video] (Autoblog)
'Motor Trend' names Tesla Model S as Car of the Year
Tesla Electric Sedan Snags Motor Trend’s ‘Car of the Year’ Award - Bloomberg
Tesla Model S named Motor Trend Car of the Year by unanimous decision | The Verge
Tesla Model S - Motor Trend Car of the Year | Money - KCRA Home
Tesla Model S is Motor Trend's 'Car of the Year' - Silicon Valley / San Jose Business Journal
Motor Trend car of the year goes to... Tesla Model S
Tesla Model S Is Named Motor Trend's Car Of The Year 2013 | TPM LiveWire
Just as we predicted, Tesla Model S wins 2013 Motor Trend Car of the Year award | Digital Trends
Tesla Model S - Motor Trend Car of the Year | Money - WGAL Home
Motor Trend Names Tesla Model S as 2013 Car of the Year - Yahoo! Finance
Motor Trend Names Tesla Model S as 2013 Car of the Year American-made, All-Electric Car Rises to Top of Most Competitive Field Ever - CNBC

another couple to add to the list of post award articles

Tesla Triumphs: Electric Car Bests the Rest | Observations, Scientific American Blog Network
Teslas Big Wins Proves EVs Are Ready for Primetime | Autopia | Wired.com

Last edited:

Attachments

• Jim_Motavalli.jpg
    Jim_Motavalli.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 505
Looked like CNBC used Ben's video....?

Wow looks that way doesn't it? I haven't reviewed my own video yet (and I will, 'cuz I missed some stuff while I was busy operating the camera and paying attention to the comments haha)

They didn't actually. Remember Tesla was taking their own video. I'm sure they'll put something out as soon as they have it edited nicely.

Electric vehicles have hit the tipping point of mainstream acceptance, and you naysayers just lost your last reason for hating the technology.

Teslas Big Win Proves EVs Are Ready for Primetime | Autopia | Wired.com

Chelsea's quote is a bit negative.
“[The Model S is a] huge accomplishment from a brand new company in the big picture of the industry,” says Chelsea Sexton of the Lightning Rod Foundation. “It’s also an expensive car and an infant program, so it will undoubtedly have early technical issues and things that wouldn’t necessarily apply to other contenders – which makes the ‘engineering excellence’ and ‘value’ categories somewhat debatable.”