Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Motor Trend H2H Tesla SP100D vs. Audi RS7

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
"There aren't very many cars that can beat a P100D in the 0-60mph band."

And in this test case the Tesla also beat the Audi by a full second in the quarter mile. The bad news is that they apparently did not use much in the way of instrumentation to validate the test runs.

"There aren't very many cars that can beat a P100D in the 0-60mph band."

And in this test case the Tesla also beat the Audi by a full second in the quarter mile. The bad news is that they apparently did not use much in the way of instrumentation to validate the test runs.

I guess a stop watch is an old school instrument - with a one second difference, they aren't really in the same league anymore... the only thing the P100D needs is a rear view mirror as an instrument..

Saw this on MT Ondemand and was very nicely shot as always, loved seeing the Arachnids in 4k!

Also surprised they were so unbiased with the review I think it was a very honest review giving both cars strengths and weaknesses, wish all car reviews were this "down the middle". You typically have ones that are biased towards ICE because they dont want to accept reality, or you have those who try to act like EV's specifically Tesla doesnt exist so they dont even review or compare them.

Anyone else cringe when he closed the frunk with one hand?

Yes, I guess they don't read the owners manual when they take the cars out for speed testing!

While I fully understand why you need to close the frunk in a prescribed manner, you would think that the Tesla engineers would be able to design structural supports in the frunk lid that allow the user to close it any which way and still keep the lid super light weight.

Not intended as complaint, still love the car. Just meant as a pondering thought.

Having driven thousands of miles in both of these cars, the Audi is still a bit more fun to drive. The Tesla is quicker 0-60 but less engaging overall. You don't feel the speed as much since the soundtrack of the Audi (especially with sports exhaust) adds another sensory stimulus. After 90-100 MPH the Audi also seems faster than the Tesla. Tesla is "smoother" and Audi is "sportier". Build quality on the Audi is superb.

Haven't had a chance to watch the video yet, but keeping it on my reading list!

Last edited:
It mostly seemed like a great review, and they clearly gave the Tesla a fair shake in general. It also seemed clear to me that they didn't understand how a Tesla road trip works - that's the one place where their explanation really sucked, with stopping for an hour regularly being mentioned, which as we all know isn't the right way to roadtrip in a Tesla.

This was really great. Those cars are the best versions of my two all-time car platforms: Tesla Model S and Audi A7. Really beautiful. I think I'd still pick the Tesla, but damn the RS7 is a beautiful car, with amazing interiors (I find Audi's interiors the best of all - subtle and high quality).

• Helpful
Reactions: Brando and TaoJones
Having driven thousands of miles in both of these cars, the Audi is still a bit more fun to drive. The Tesla is quicker 0-60 but less engaging overall. You don't feel the speed as much since the soundtrack of the Audi (especially with sports exhaust) adds another sensory stimulus. After 90-100 MPH the Audi also seems faster than the Tesla. Tesla is "smoother" and Audi is "sportier". Build quality on the Audi is superb.

Haven't had a chance to watch the video yet, but keeping it on my reading list!

You can keep the extra sensory stimulus. We call that pollution. If you really want to stimulate yourself, try leaving your car on in the garage with the doors of the garage closed. Your Audi will definitely take you to a new level of sensory perception.

You can keep the extra sensory stimulus. We call that pollution. If you really want to stimulate yourself, try leaving your car on in the garage with the doors of the garage closed. Your Audi will definitely take you to a new level of sensory perception.

You must not be a car enthusiast if you don't understand the additional sensory benefits that a highly tuned sports car provides. I'm obviously not referring the pollution, no one likes that. Perhaps this is your attempt at humor, which if so is fine. If you really want to stimulate yourself, lick your fingers and then stick them in the charge port.

You must not be a car enthusiast if you don't understand the additional sensory benefits that a highly tuned sports car provides. I'm obviously not referring the pollution, no one likes that. Perhaps this is your attempt at humor, which if so is fine. If you really want to stimulate yourself, lick your fingers and then stick them in the charge port.

I'm going to try that this afternoon. Thanks for the suggestion!

lol, it looks like you are triggered.

I am a huge car enthusiast. I love cars. I don't like car noises, especially after owning a Tesla, the car exhaust note to me is the sound of inefficiency, it's the sound of every 80 out of 100 joules provided by the gasoline being literally and completely wasted.

Yes I'm on a hair trigger today so I apologize to @croman. Shouldn't have sunk to his level of "jokes", I just didn't appreciate the carbon monoxide poisoning humor as it felt like poor taste.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and I despise dogma and arrogance. No one likes an EV-elitist that thinks because they are driving their $100,000 EV they are saving the world and everyone else is an imbecile. I just don't feel my opinion is more important that someone else's, or that I should force my views on others.

If you or others feel driving an EV is helping the planet, that's great and keep doing it. If an Audi RS7 driver (ULEV Level 2) feels comfortable he is getting a true sports car and helping the environment compared to a regular LEV car, that's great too. Live and let live...

Reactions: hockeythug