Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Motor Trend H2H Tesla SP100D vs. Audi RS7

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes I'm on a hair trigger today so I apologize to @croman. Shouldn't have sunk to his level of "jokes", I just didn't appreciate the carbon monoxide poisoning humor as it felt like poor taste.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and I despise dogma and arrogance. No one likes an EV-elitist that thinks because they are driving their $100,000 EV they are saving the world and everyone else is an imbecile. I just don't feel my opinion is more important that someone else's, or that I should force my views on others.

If you or others feel driving an EV is helping the planet, that's great and keep doing it. If an Audi RS7 driver (ULEV Level 2) feels comfortable he is getting a true sports car and helping the environment compared to a regular LEV car, that's great too. Live and let live...

No need to apologize to me but if you found my statement to be in poor taste then I'm sorry. It was just meant to underline the toxicity of it all.

You must not be a car enthusiast if you don't understand the additional sensory benefits that a highly tuned sports car provides. I'm obviously not referring the pollution, no one likes that. Perhaps this is your attempt at humor, which if so is fine. If you really want to stimulate yourself, lick your fingers and then stick them in the charge port.

I just can't separate the pollution from any positive aspect to ICE. Its all negatives to me (the sound, the vibrations, the pollution - that is what combustion is, not what nostalgia people attach to it).

I did appreciate your joke though. Gave me a nice chuckle and we all need to do more of that. So if I created a frown, I'm sorry.

• Helpful
Reactions: SmartElectric
The following observation is not intended to cast aspersions on anyone on this thread. I don't think any of the parties in the brief back and forth meant any true harm in what they said.

I do find it intriguing how the acceptance of different aspects of EV and ICE vehicles can play out in public discussions.

It seems more likely that an EV owner expressing satisfaction with the environmental benefits of their vehicle will face backlash than an ICE owner expressing satisfaction with the sound effects that their car makes. This is a variation with how people with fuel efficient ICE cars would previously (and not that long ago) face ridicule simply for having a fuel efficient car in the past.

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: EinSV and oktane
The following observation is not intended to cast aspersions on anyone on this thread. I don't think any of the parties in the brief back and forth meant any true harm in what they said.

I do find it intriguing how the acceptance of different aspects of EV and ICE vehicles can play out in public discussions.

It seems more likely that an EV owner expressing satisfaction with the environmental benefits of their vehicle will face backlash than an ICE owner expressing satisfaction with the sound effects that their car makes. This is a variation with how people with fuel efficient ICE cars would previously (and not that long ago) face ridicule simply for having a fuel efficient car in the past.

Oh, we've moved far beyond those dark ages.

Now people get made fun of for having a funny looking fuel efficient car instead. Clearly great progress... :p

Reactions: clostridium
That's the problem with judging. Does a 60D owner frown on a P100D owner, since the 60D owner cruises more efficiently at 240 Wh/mi vs 350 Wh/mi at the same speed? Is a P100D owner therefore "harming the environment"?

Everyone should be allowed to drive whatever they feel like without justifying their decision or beliefs.

How did their Tesla supplied P100D pull a 10.5 1/4 at 47% SOC which means it was down about 100 hp from it's 90% maximum????

Probably a ringer car with fake custom firmware that sacrifices longevity of the battery for performance.

No. They tested the car at another time. The "race" you saw there was for entertainment purposes. Just film. Probably didn't even attempt to time it. The times they are talking about are merely what Motor Trend tested the car at.

• Informative
Reactions: EarlyAdopter
Everyone should be allowed to drive whatever they feel like without justifying their decision or beliefs.

We are not yet at a point where everyone can drive an EV. First of all they are still too expensive. Not to mention funny looking micro cars. (Before Tesla of course)
I love the quiet in my S but at times I miss the rumble of my past Corvettes. And don't look down on ANY ICE car peeps.

Reactions: oktane
Having driven thousands of miles in both of these cars, the Audi is still a bit more fun to drive. The Tesla is quicker 0-60 but less engaging overall. You don't feel the speed as much since the soundtrack of the Audi (especially with sports exhaust) adds another sensory stimulus. After 90-100 MPH the Audi also seems faster than the Tesla. Tesla is "smoother" and Audi is "sportier". Build quality on the Audi is superb.

Haven't had a chance to watch the video yet, but keeping it on my reading list!
@croman @Pezpunk @ skateboardgolf - since you "disagree" with oktane's report can you explain why? Have you also driven an RS7 extensively? Oktane's claim seems reasonable to me and I have two S's. The idea that the Model S is the most fun and sportiest car in the world is utter nonsense. I still believe it is the best overall luxury sedan for my purposes but the most fun to drive in all aspects? Get real.

Well said. The "extra sensory" stimulus will eventually kill us all.
This is the kind of self righteous attitude that doesn't increase adoption of green cars. I drive all electric 99 pct of the time. But there is a small fraction of the time when the orgasmic sound of Enzo's symphony in the F355 is worth the pain and suffering inflicted on me by my mechanic each year. There is no replacement and we can acknowledge that there are some beautiful aesthetic aspects of ICE cars which will be missed even though we push forward into the new age.

@croman @Pezpunk @ skateboardgolf - since you "disagree" with oktane's report can you explain why? Have you also driven an RS7 extensively? Oktane's claim seems reasonable to me and I have two S's. The idea that the Model S is the most fun and sportiest car in the world is utter nonsense. I still believe it is the best overall luxury sedan for my purposes but the most fun to drive in all aspects? Get real.

No one needs to explain themselves to you.

Reactions: JohnSnowNW
This is the kind of self righteous attitude that doesn't increase adoption of green cars. I drive all electric 99 pct of the time. But there is a small fraction of the time when the orgasmic sound of Enzo's symphony in the F355 is worth the pain and suffering inflicted on me by my mechanic each year. There is no replacement and we can acknowledge that there are some beautiful aesthetic aspects of ICE cars which will be missed even though we push forward into the new age.

Why is someone self righteous just because they don't share your feelings on this?

By all means you have your right to enjoy the ICE sounds but it's not clear to me why someone who doesn't is somehow viewed negatively in any way. To each their own.

I do agree that there will come a time when we will miss ICE cars especially some of the more well designed ones. I enjoy viewing things like classic cars, planes, and steam locomotives in museums. It is a combo of nostalgia and fascination. It's not self righteous of me to not want to operate one on a regular basis though.

It
Why is someone self righteous just because they don't share your feelings on this?

By all means you have your right to enjoy the ICE sounds but it's not clear to me why someone who doesn't is somehow viewed negatively in any way. To each their own.

I do agree that there will come a time when we will miss ICE cars especially some of the more well designed ones. I enjoy viewing things like classic cars, planes, and steam locomotives in museums. It is a combo of nostalgia and fascination. It's not self righteous of me to not want to operate one on a regular basis though.
It isn't self righteous not to like ICE noises you are correct. I didn't mean that. It's self righteous to say things like "sensory stimuli - we call that pollution" etc.