TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Motor Trend H2H Tesla SP100D vs. Audi RS7

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by Jeeps17, May 3, 2017.

1. croman

croman Active Member

No need to apologize to me but if you found my statement to be in poor taste then I'm sorry. It was just meant to underline the toxicity of it all.

I just can't separate the pollution from any positive aspect to ICE. Its all negatives to me (the sound, the vibrations, the pollution - that is what combustion is, not what nostalgia people attach to it).

I did appreciate your joke though. Gave me a nice chuckle and we all need to do more of that. So if I created a frown, I'm sorry.

• Helpful x 1
  2. oktane

oktane Active Member

Thanks I appreciate your position. Apology accepted. :)

3. clostridium

clostridium Member

The following observation is not intended to cast aspersions on anyone on this thread. I don't think any of the parties in the brief back and forth meant any true harm in what they said.

I do find it intriguing how the acceptance of different aspects of EV and ICE vehicles can play out in public discussions.

It seems more likely that an EV owner expressing satisfaction with the environmental benefits of their vehicle will face backlash than an ICE owner expressing satisfaction with the sound effects that their car makes. This is a variation with how people with fuel efficient ICE cars would previously (and not that long ago) face ridicule simply for having a fuel efficient car in the past.

• Helpful x 1
    • Informative x 1
  4. Saghost

Saghost Well-Known Member

Oh, we've moved far beyond those dark ages.

Now people get made fun of for having a funny looking fuel efficient car instead. Clearly great progress... :p

• Like x 1
  5. oktane

oktane Active Member

That's the problem with judging. Does a 60D owner frown on a P100D owner, since the 60D owner cruises more efficiently at 240 Wh/mi vs 350 Wh/mi at the same speed? Is a P100D owner therefore "harming the environment"?

Everyone should be allowed to drive whatever they feel like without justifying their decision or beliefs.

6. sorka

sorka Well-Known Member

How did their Tesla supplied P100D pull a 10.5 1/4 at 47% SOC which means it was down about 100 hp from it's 90% maximum????

• Like x 1
  7. oktane

oktane Active Member

Probably a ringer car with fake custom firmware that sacrifices longevity of the battery for performance.

• Like x 1
  8. sorka

sorka Well-Known Member

Trying to decide whether to give you like or funny :rolleyes:

• Like x 1
  9. Pezpunk

Pezpunk Member

No. They tested the car at another time. The "race" you saw there was for entertainment purposes. Just film. Probably didn't even attempt to time it. The times they are talking about are merely what Motor Trend tested the car at.

• Informative x 1
  10. Chopr147

Chopr147 Active Member

We are not yet at a point where everyone can drive an EV. First of all they are still too expensive. Not to mention funny looking micro cars. (Before Tesla of course)
    I love the quiet in my S but at times I miss the rumble of my past Corvettes. And don't look down on ANY ICE car peeps.

• Like x 1
  11. calisnow

calisnow Active Member

@croman @Pezpunk @ skateboardgolf - since you "disagree" with oktane's report can you explain why? Have you also driven an RS7 extensively? Oktane's claim seems reasonable to me and I have two S's. The idea that the Model S is the most fun and sportiest car in the world is utter nonsense. I still believe it is the best overall luxury sedan for my purposes but the most fun to drive in all aspects? Get real.

• Like x 1
    • Disagree x 1
    • Love x 1
  12. calisnow

calisnow Active Member

That's a useless and silly reply to oktane. I call em like I see em.

• Informative x 1
  13. calisnow

calisnow Active Member

This is the kind of self righteous attitude that doesn't increase adoption of green cars. I drive all electric 99 pct of the time. But there is a small fraction of the time when the orgasmic sound of Enzo's symphony in the F355 is worth the pain and suffering inflicted on me by my mechanic each year. There is no replacement and we can acknowledge that there are some beautiful aesthetic aspects of ICE cars which will be missed even though we push forward into the new age.

• Like x 2
  14. croman

croman Active Member

No one needs to explain themselves to you.

• Like x 1
  15. clostridium

clostridium Member

Why is someone self righteous just because they don't share your feelings on this?

By all means you have your right to enjoy the ICE sounds but it's not clear to me why someone who doesn't is somehow viewed negatively in any way. To each their own.

I do agree that there will come a time when we will miss ICE cars especially some of the more well designed ones. I enjoy viewing things like classic cars, planes, and steam locomotives in museums. It is a combo of nostalgia and fascination. It's not self righteous of me to not want to operate one on a regular basis though.

• Like x 2
  16. calisnow

calisnow Active Member

It
    It isn't self righteous not to like ICE noises you are correct. I didn't mean that. It's self righteous to say things like "sensory stimuli - we call that pollution" etc.

17. rocketdallas

rocketdallas Member

I share the same perspective as calisnow. I think our Model S is the best daily driver available and cannot imagine going back to ICE for 99% of driving, but still love classic cars and some newer sports/super cars for their attributes. Different tools, different purposes.

18. PhatCat

PhatCat Kisco Kid

I have both ends of the spectrum covered: Model S and 72 Vette w/ 454. Guess that makes me schizophrenic.

19. The Duke

The Duke Member

If you got a P100D you may sell your Vette. It took a few back to back drives, but eventually my cars sorted out into hyper adrenaline rush and a slow noise maker.

• Like x 3
  20. tpham07

tpham07 Active Member

HE CLOSED THE FRUNK WRONG!

• Like x 1