Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Motor Trend live at Gigafactory with Model 3 today!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I love it the way it is, and I feel if they add any superfluous design elements like the stache'... That it would be a retrenchment.
Again, rounding/"unflattening" the nose and/or removing the upturned beak is a completely separate issue from adding "superfluous design elements like the stache'" or any other kind of silly fake grille. You can do one without the other.

I'm talking about this kind of reshaping that has been discussed:

KkOpM0i.png

• Disagree
Reactions: Hayden
Here are a couple of images that were not included in the Motor Trend article! These are screenshots that include a beauty pic of the car and a really nice shot showcasing the roof and all of its glory. And FINALLY, For all you parents out there, here's a screenshot of an a baby carrier holder in a Model 3.

Thanks,

-Mitch

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 125
  • image.png
    image.png
    821.1 KB · Views: 2,116
  • image.png
    image.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 103
Again, rounding/"unflattening" the nose and/or removing the upturned beak is a completely separate issue from adding "superfluous design elements like the stache'" or any other kind of silly fake grille. You can do one without the other.

I'm talking about this kind of reshaping that has been discussed:

KkOpM0i.png

I understand and acknowledge we all have our own tastes. I simply prefer it as is.

I agree the nose could use a slight revision. Switching to the S/X style nose wouldn't be bad, but honestly, I kind of like the T on the hood. It looks good there. Maybe if they can just refine the curves a bit or something.

The whole rest of the car looks awesome. The only changes I would approve of would be tweaks to the nose and changes necessitated by functional needs (e.g. if they revise the back to enlarge the trunk opening).

Calling it names [duckbill , rounding , unflattening, upturned beak, silly fake grille] does indeed put a taint onto the image. Eye of the beholder and all that. I'd appreciate calling it more flowery names.
I want the designer to make a car that I take as a whole - power, interior, exterior. If Tesla wants to brand it with an aero front, or with a 'statch. I don't want to micro-manage these details.

Here are a couple of images that were not included in the Motor Trend article! These are screenshots that include a beauty pic of the car and a really nice shot showcasing the roof and all of its glory. And FINALLY, For all you parents out there, here's a screenshot of an a baby carrier holder in a Model 3.

Thanks,

-Mitch

Where are these from?

I understand and acknowledge we all have our own tastes. I simply prefer it as is.
Just to be clear, I'm not intending to critique your tastes. I don't have a strong opinion on it (well, I did, but it's mellowed with age).

I'm just trying to emphasize that in the front end discussion, shape and decoration (grille, X-style mustache, whatever) tend to get merged, when they are two distinct aspects of the design.

I agree the nose could use a slight revision. Switching to the S/X style nose wouldn't be bad, but honestly, I kind of like the T on the hood. It looks good there. Maybe if they can just refine the curves a bit or something.

IMO, the nose as is looks much better than the current X design. When we first saw the X nose I was like oh man, that looks... Ok? Sure glad my S has the original nose.

I really love this car more than ever now!

It is truly beautiful and I am glad it is smaller actually. I love driving smaller cars like Ford Focus but would want something more upscale and this provides it. Plus I know my kids could fit in it so that is a plus.

I am disappointed by the staggered tire setup. I wish they made the 20" rims in a consistent size front/back. Do we really need 275's in the back? I hope they have a setup that has the standard front/back size but looks as amazing as these rims. Otherwise I might bite the bullet and get these anyway.

Another thing I noticed on the car is how bare the space between the tail lights look. I wonder if making the taillights a bit wider would fix this?

The whole rest of the car looks awesome. The only changes I would approve of would be tweaks to the nose and changes necessitated by functional needs (e.g. if they revise the back to enlarge the trunk opening).
These new pics are terrific. They have mellowed me as well regarding the nose issues...while not an in-person real life viewing, it was much better at showing the nose to a realistic advantage. I also love the T logo on the hood, so my only remaining issue is with how will the front license plate integrate?

These new pics are terrific. They have mellowed me as well regarding the nose issues...while not an in-person real life viewing, it was much better at showing the nose to a realistic advantage. I also love the T logo on the hood, so my only remaining issue is with how will the front license plate integrate?

I agree with you. I said it before that during the unveil the cars were on a stage so it gave an unrealistic impression of the car vs when you would stand next to it.

The front is really growing on me. I was really disappointed by the interior too but now I have hopes for that too. I really love the car. I can't wait until I get mine. I am driving my wife nuts talking about it all the time!

So does anyone else think that the Model ≡ looks like the Mazda 3 Sedan? Seems like a lot of the lines are the same?

Personally I don't like Mazda's design language. I don't get that feel from the Tesla. I think part of it is I always think the Mazda looks like it has a happy face in the front. I want my car to look mean. I don't think they are as bad as they used to be.

With that said a lot of cars this size have similar design language. I think Tesla pulls off the side profile better with the back window going to a point instead of having a cut off look.

Exclusive: Tesla Model 3
Photo Shoot at the Gigafactory

We're honored to be the first media outlet of any kind to get time with the Model 3, especially at the much-talked-about Gigafactory in Nevada.

So we've pulled out all the stops. We flew in Motor Trend testing director and resident Tesla expert Kim Reynolds for the day so that he could make his sage observations and insightful analysis. We also stuffed a crack team of Motor Trend staffers into our long-term Honda Pilot and Kia Sedona and drove nearly 500 miles north to Reno.

What did we see and find out? Read on.

READ MORE

Reactions: PTADO