Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Motor Trend live at Gigafactory with Model 3 today!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
CglCxYVUoAAinjh.jpg:large

Sure is a nice looking car. I would have never consider a silver car with a white interior but damn... I was originally thinking multi-coat red and a black leather interior. Going to be a tough decision.

Do we known what Motortrend has planned for this photo and video shoot? All the picture came from phones from folks in attendance not the high resolution cameras. I assume they are planning a TV or youtube special or something?

Last edited:
Do we known what Motortrend has planned for this photo and video shoot? All the picture came from phones from folks in attendance not the high resolution cameras. I assume they are planning a TV or youtube special or something?
The article mentions they need to go through the DSLR photos and videos, and that the only things they posted so far were phone pictures (excuse me, "iPhone pictures" - they plugged their choice of phones almost as much as their social media accounts).

There was a hint about a cover - maybe they have a big feature planned for the print magazine.

All Electrek is doing is talking about the MotorTrend video which is has been discussed for days in this topic (mod edit: threads merged, link removed)

Electrek has nothing new to add. And of course MotorTrend has nothing new to add to what is already known about the Model 3, but they doing everything they can to make it sound like they do, talking about being given "exclusive access" at a "secret location" (the Gigafactory, which is not a secret"). MT is a blast of hot air.

Last edited by a moderator:
All Electrek is doing is talking about the MotorTrend video which is has been discussed for days in this topic (mod edit: threads merged, link removed)

Electrek has nothing new to add. And of course MotorTrend has nothing new to add to what is already known about the Model 3, but they doing everything they can to make it sound like they do, talking about being given "exclusive access" at a "secret location" (the Gigafactory, which is not a secret"). MT is a blast of hot air.

but...but....THEY HAVE iPHONES!!!!!!!

LOL.

• Funny
Reactions: GoTslaGo
This sure is a tough crowd. It was a live streaming event from a phone. They didn't show the interior because Tesla asked them not to. Heck, they weren't even allowed to ride in the car much less drive it. So, imagine you write for a car magazine. Do you avoid the photo shoot since you can't drive the car? As for the streaming of the shoot I thought it was a nice bit of insight into what they do including showing how there is a bunch of repetitive boring stuff to get those few published shots. The impromptu styling analysis was very good. I liked the talk of the challenges of the short hood and the high floor due to the battery pack. How would your work day come across if you screamed it live? Other than starting and stopping the streaming there wasn't any editing. The rooftop seems to have been them trying to get a feel for the size of the Gigafactory. It was a boring stream but probably seemed like a good idea at the time.

I'm not a big Motor Trend fan so reading what I just wrote feels weird but I was just happy to get more 3 video.

The more video I see of the 3 the more I like it.

This sure is a tough crowd. It was a live streaming event from a phone. They didn't show the interior because Tesla asked them not to. Heck, they weren't even allowed to ride in the car much less drive it. So, imagine you write for a car magazine. Do you avoid the photo shoot since you can't drive the car? As for the streaming of the shoot I thought it was a nice bit of insight into what they do including showing how there is a bunch of repetitive boring stuff to get those few published shots. The impromptu styling analysis was very good. I liked the talk of the challenges of the short hood and the high floor due to the battery pack. How would your work day come across if you screamed it live? Other than starting and stopping the streaming there wasn't any editing. The rooftop seems to have been them trying to get a feel for the size of the Gigafactory. It was a boring stream but probably seemed like a good idea at the time.

I'm not a big Motor Trend fan so reading what I just wrote feels weird but I was just happy to get more 3 video.

The more video I see of the 3 the more I like it.

It kinda came off as "annoying millennial hour".

"ZOMG! We used our iPhones." That's cute. you have an iPhone. Maybe you could hold it the right way when streaming live video. Vertical? really?

and as far as the "exclusive" part. We are a tough crowd. the only "new" thing was that we saw it driving in daylight, and maybe enough angles for people to start extrapolating the dimensions. Other than that, it was pretty much clickbait. Unfortunately, that's all we're going to get for a while.

This sure is a tough crowd. It was a live streaming event from a phone. They didn't show the interior because Tesla asked them not to. Heck, they weren't even allowed to ride in the car much less drive it. So, imagine you write for a car magazine. Do you avoid the photo shoot since you can't drive the car?
I'm critical of MT because they hyped their "exclusive access" at a "secret location" (a lie) as if they were going to provide Model 3 information that had never been revealed before. As you point out, Tesla restricted them to photographing the exterior of the car and MT learned nothing new.

So imagine you write for a car magazine. Your job is to provide your readers with useful information. In this instance, MT provided absolutely no useful information, and failed to do its job. But it succeeded in getting people to click through to its website. Which was of course what MT wanted to happen.

So, I know people were attempting to do some extrapolations here, based on the MT photos.

I found this:

Chapter 4 - Sidewalk Design Guidelines and Existing Practices - Sidewalks - Publications - Bicycle and Pedestrian Program - Environment - FHWA

The "standard" US sidewalk is 60 inches (5 ft) wide.

If this picture is to be believed (if this is a "standard" US sidewalk), the Model 3 looks to be JUUUUSSSTTT about 5 feet wide, not counting mirrors.

So that would make the width roughly the same as a Mitsubishi i-MiEV, Fiat 500, or Smart fortwo. Probably not a standard sidewalk.

If it's a 6 ft sidewalk, then it's the width of a BMW 3 series or Audi A3 (71" roughly). Makes more sense.

So, I know people were attempting to do some extrapolations here, based on the MT photos.

I found this:

Chapter 4 - Sidewalk Design Guidelines and Existing Practices - Sidewalks - Publications - Bicycle and Pedestrian Program - Environment - FHWA

The "standard" US sidewalk is 60 inches (5 ft) wide.

If this picture is to be believed (if this is a "standard" US sidewalk), the Model 3 looks to be JUUUUSSSTTT about 5 feet wide, not counting mirrors.

It's just really unlikely that it is that narrow. A Corolla is 69.9" as a comparison. A CRV is 71.6". Neither of those are exactly huge vehicles, so I would find it very surprising for the M3 to be under about 70". Remember, it is supposed to be able to seat 3 in the back.

It's just really unlikely that it is that narrow. A Corolla is 69.9" as a comparison. A CRV is 71.6". Neither of those are exactly huge vehicles, so I would find it very surprising for the M3 to be under about 70". Remember, it is supposed to be able to seat 3 in the back.

I'm trying. I didn't see data from anyone else.

I'd guess closer to 6 ft wide, especially since I have an A3 and that's about how wide it is....but even then, 3 adults across the back is not that comfortable in the A3. Does the lack of a "hump" make that much difference?

I'm trying. I didn't see data from anyone else.

I'd guess closer to 6 ft wide, especially since I have an A3 and that's about how wide it is....but even then, 3 adults across the back is not that comfortable in the A3. Does the lack of a "hump" make that much difference?

Hey I appreciate your efforts.

The A3 has exterior dimensions of more than 77" including mirrors, but Audi cheats and won't say what they are without. But perhaps wheelbase offers a better clue. A3 has a wheelbase of about 60 inches, and if that sidewalk is standard, so would the M3. So the A3 could be a good size comparison.

I noticed that there was a straight on, rear shot that would probably lend itself to using the known dimensions of the license plate to at least derive the car's width at the rear, if one were so inclined.

This one? :
m3-plates.png

US license plates tend to be 12" wide. So 6 license plates=72"
So that would suggest (perhaps), it could be less than 70" wide, which would make me happy.