TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Motor Trend reports 2.6 0 to 60!! In P90D. Launch control??

Discussion in 'News' started by TitanP90D, Oct 29, 2015.

1. TitanP90D

TitanP90D Member

Musk just tweeted the report from Motor Trend.

2.6 0 to 60
    10.9@ 122mph 1/4

puzzling thing from the article though. It mentions use of the new launch control.
    is there a launch control?
    i have a p90d with Luda mode running v7.0 and do not see this.

2015 Tesla Model S P90D w/Ludicrous Upgrade First Test

2. Ames

Ames Member

Unbelievable! 2.6 seconds to 60, sub 7 to 100 mph and 10.9 @ 122 mph in the 1/4 mile. That's more like it (I'm having a fanboy fit of euphoria).

3. J1mbo

J1mbo Member

Preheating = "launch control" for the ICE generation

4. Runarbt

Runarbt Member

I read somewhere that this (maximum power?) would be available for all P cars, also classic models? Anyone know where in the settings this would be, if so?

5. Hank42

Hank42 Member

I wonder what Niel would have to say about that number:

Neil deGrasse Tyson Gives Us A Detailed Breakdown Of NASCAR Physics

" On Earth, that acceleration is 32 feet per second, per second. Or in more common language: 22 miles per hour per second. Or in even more common language: Zero to 60 mph in 2.8 seconds. This is true no matter the mass of the car or the nature of its suspension or construction. That's why all the most expensive production sports cars come in around 3 seconds for 0-60 mph. This is simply a cool fact of physics. "

Also:
    https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/470738394650533888

6. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

unfortunately, not for "classic" P owners. we don't get the performance update in 7.0 :(

7. Dennis87

Dennis87 Member

#8 Dennis87, Oct 29, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2015
    A top fuel dragster is much faster (0.2 sec to 60 mph). Also even a rally cross car does 0-60 mph in 1.9 sec

Riding along in Ford's bonkers Fiesta ST Global RallyCross car [w/video]

So the math to Neil DeGrasse is just wrong since it is possible to get friction above 1.0 in real life.

8. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Interesting. We assume that 0-60 is with the "traditional" (in the US) one-foot rollout. As long as the competing car's 0-60 times are with the same rollout, that seems reasonable.
    And I note that Motor Trend uses Tesla's HP and torque numbers without qualification. The author does not appear to care about what the drivetrain can actually deliver, all that matters is the shockingly fast 2.6 secs 0-60 that anyone can achieve with stock tires simply by stomping on the go pedal.
    I have no idea what is meant by the "new launch control" reference in the article. There is no such setting in the vehicle controls that I am aware of.

9. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

i thought there was a button or something below the ludicrious mode to prewarm the battery pack for launches...i recall seeing a pic of this somewhere.

10. Saghost

Saghost Active Member

As long as you are using turning wheels to accelerate, you are limited by traction.

That means that the maximum force you can generate to accelerate is limited to the weight of the vehicle times the friction coefficient between the wheels and the ground even under ideal circumstances.

Since the typical tire and pavement give you around 1 for a coefficient, what he says is basically true under normal conditions.

However, if you can arrange for more grip, you can have more acceleration if you have enough power. That's why drag strips put down friction compounds and people buy racing slicks - little improvements in friction/grip.

Edit: I see that sometime between the page loading and my deciding to try to explain you added a section related to friction coefficients yourself.
    Walter

11. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

His math is correct. If you take the time to read DeGrasse's entire post, you will see that he is careful to allow for a CF greater than 1. Quote:
    "Most materials on most materials have a coefficient of friction of less that 1. But rubber on asphalt makes an awesome match for transportation, and routinely registers a coefficient of friction within 5% of 1.0. If you manage to increase the coefficient of friction above 1.0 you can accelerate horizontally even faster than gravity would accelerate you falling vertically. Hot, gummy, sticky tires on asphalt do just that, as drag racers well know. Spoilers at high speeds offer a similar advantage — but in this case increasing the weight of the car without increasing its mass. This helps the friction do its job even better."

12. Olle

Olle Member

#13 Olle, Oct 29, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2015
    2.6! Very impressive.
    Pretty outrageous hate comments under the article though. They seem to be panicking now as they lost another argument against EVs, as the Model S just got a really competitive 1/4 mile time. Almost half the comments are hate comments and the other half are positive. In real life I meet 99% positive people, something doesn't add up. Have the dealers or someone started a troll factory that pumps out anti Tesla personae to post comments?

13. sandpiper

sandpiper Active Member

I always thought it would be useful to have the ability to enable a "launch mode" where you could hold your foot to the floor, the car not moving, and one of the steering wheel buttons acts as a launch button that ramps up the inverter drive as quickly as the electronics permits. The whole business of having to aggressively stomp on the pedal seems a bit antiquated.

14. JenniferQ

JenniferQ Member

I think you are referring to the Max Power 'button' that preconditions the battery and takes about 10 mins, iirc

15. mkjayakumar

mkjayakumar Active Member

That articles states that EPA range on P85D and P90D are same - 253 miles. Is that right?

What about the range of 85D .vs. 90D ?

16. trils0n

trils0n 2013 P85

Tesla didn't obtain ratings for the 90kWh pack, so it just uses the same ratings as the 85.

17. WestCoastP85D

WestCoastP85D Member

18. Takumi

Takumi Member

Nah, it's just the usual internet anonymity. Real life doesn't quite give that same level of anonymity so people don't show their negative side as much.