TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Motor Trend's HellCat VS P85D

Discussion in 'Video' started by Fezzik, Apr 29, 2015.

1. Fezzik

Fezzik P67429

#1 Fezzik, Apr 29, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016

Interesting.

2. DavidB

DavidB Aug 2013 S85

Interesting that the video is already slightly out of date! The P85D does 0-60 in 3.1 seconds (not the 3.2 seconds stated in the video).

3. ThosEM

ThosEM Space Weatherman

For me, but there is nothing the least bit impressive about smoking tires and making burnout snowballs. But your mileage may vary...

4. efusco

efusco Moderator - Model S & X forums

I'll call that fair. I like the amount of time he took to look at the pluses and minuses. He's a motorhead and that's OK, it's a motorhead magazine. For him to give the evaluations that close is a huge step for any car magazine compared to a few years ago.
    I admit, I'd love to drive a hellcat...not before I drive a P85D, but still, it does look like a LOT of fun!

5. Ubbe

Ubbe Member

Nice show, clearly he is a muscle car guy, and given it was about the most "badass" American car the result was fair enough. Then on the other hand, turning a pair of perfectly good tires to dust is a bit obscene. The show was enjoyable throughout, gotta love his enthusiasm!

6. LetsGoFast

LetsGoFast Active Member

I can't really fault anything with this video. Going from Porsche to the P85D, I must admit that I miss the old days of brutish, noisy tire-smoking rides. Not enough to switch, but I get it.

7. Fanatic

Fanatic Member

I think like you all he gave a fair comparison, if you count that noise and being a douche to the environment as a positive, but what the heck do I care, more Teslas for us:p

8. Grendal

Grendal Active Member

Fair. I'm like everyone else. It was a fair comparison and under the criteria of "badass" the Dodge would win, as it did. If the criteria was a badass car that you want to drive every day then I'm sure the P85D would win.

Being nit-picky, the Dodge is not an American car. It might be made in America, but Fiat owns Dodge so it is an Italian car. That is no different than saying that a Toyota is an American car when the factory is in the USA. It's a Toyota.

9. SabrToothSqrl

SabrToothSqrl Active Member

10. REBroker

REBroker Member

Very entertaining and certainly fare. I would say though, these cars are for completely different purposes in my opinion. I haven't heard the fist Model S buyer who also had a HellCat on their short list.

11. gg_got_a_tesla

gg_got_a_tesla Model S: VIN P65513, Model 3 Res Holder

Really fun video. Enjoyed the comparison.

12. jerjozwik

jerjozwik Member

is I had another 70k I would not mind both cars :D

13. stephenpace

stephenpace VIN S00219

Great video, lots to like in there.

14. pdrayton

pdrayton New Member

Why is the P85D not putting out full power at the end of the quarter mile?

This was taken right as they cross the finish line, P85D just hit 113mph i.e. no-where near the limiter, range is 198mi so the battery is pretty much at full charge, yet it seems to be doing closer to 300kW output, not 450kW+

ERWWvWP.png

15. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

The P85 also backs the power down as you approach top speed, so that is no surprise.

Probably engineering reasons - drive train components are getting hot (motor and/or power inverter), and possibly also to avoid overshooting maximum speed.

16. DavidB

DavidB Aug 2013 S85

What Doug said. If you watch carefully, you can tell that they clearly ran the race several times. I'd bet the drive train components were getting hot.

17. gvands

gvands Member

I've got a challenger srt8 and am awaiting delivery of my P85D, does that count? ;-)

18. Mr X

Mr X Future Owner

#18 Mr X, May 1, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016

:biggrin:

19. JST

JST Active Member

At least your Wrangler is built in the US. The Charger is Italian-owned and Canadian built. Perhaps better to say the ultimate Canadian badass?

Sadly, this video just confirms for me what we lost when they stopped building the RWD Ps.

20. scaesare

scaesare Active Member

One of the threads around here about a month ago with a vid of a Hellcat beating a P85D was posted by a guy who owned them both... he was racing his son.