TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Motor Week tests 90DL at only 4.0 and 12.4!!

Discussion in 'News' started by scott jones, Jan 9, 2016.

1. scott jones

scott jones Member

Here's the article link which is just a copy of the TV version I just watched.
    They could only get the P90DL to 60mph in 4.0 and 12.4 in the quarter.
    Thats P85 NO D speed.

MW did say their track is old and you heard tire chirps, but they always say their track is old as of late.
    Their track has also NOT affected other cars factory stats v their stats comparatively when I watch

2016 Tesla P90D | MotorWeek
    Whats the deal... 2.6 v 4 is sooo far off Granted no one has even gotten Tesla claimed 2.6 yet, but somewhat close for some.

2. Stoneymonster

Stoneymonster Active Member

That's 85/90D territory. Methinks they have the wrong car ;)

3. Saghost

Saghost Active Member

There's definitely something odd here. P85Ds have shown faster numbers than that in pouring rain in some videos I believe (I was really shocked at how fast it apparently is in reduced traction environments.)

4. AWDtsla

AWDtsla Active Member

I always thought those people were morons. You'd have to be a moron not to be able to get a P90Dl under 3.5 seconds, forget about 4.

5. artsci

artsci Sponsor

Agree. I hate Motor Week. They've all been breathing too many gasoline vapors. Totally brain dead.

6. stopcrazypp

stopcrazypp Well-Known Member

What SOC is it? I remember the performance can drop at low SOCs. But that is a huge gap though.

7. Fluke

Fluke Member

They said they had problems with the track and with traction control (no details provided). I also noticed that the driver display showed only 70 miles range left while they were filming the inside shot at the track. Not the best way to get a good run.

8. scott jones

scott jones Member

If the range WAS low, that can kill the performance as it did often in my S85.
    Another thing I notice, they LOVE Caddys and most gas cars, although they often say electric is the future.
    But how can you NOT question your own results MotorWeek, when its 30% LESS than the manufacturers numbers and other publications.

9. asus389

asus389 Member

Is there a stream yet? Maybe I'm missing something.

10. Discoducky

Discoducky Active Member

It would just appear that they didn't care too much to figure out what they were doing wrong...most likely just using default settings

11. AWDtsla

AWDtsla Active Member

Only incompetence.

12. PAULL

PAULL Member

I bet big oil stuffs their pockets too . .

13. Eclectic

Eclectic Member

It's been a long time since I've seen this show but they used to be known for not coming close on their performance testing. If Car and Driver got a Mustang GT to 60 in 5 seconds, Motor Week would test it at 6.5 (just a hypothetical, but that's the type of discrepancies you'd see with their testing vs. the real car journalists' testing).

14. AWDtsla

AWDtsla Active Member

15. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

I don't think I'd call them idiots. They are well intentioned. Just very, very, very old school. Stuck in the 70's. I hate to admit it, but I actually do still watch the damn show. Usually when falling asleep or Sunday morning when somewhat still asleep. And I can say that the track they use looks like sh-t and I can imagine that tires can't hook up on it. Plus they always seem to blame performance on the track being too cold. Gee...find another...

16. AWDtsla

AWDtsla Active Member

P90D reaches 60 mph in ~120 feet. They couldn't find 120 feet of good asphalt? Incompetence seems appropriate.

17. scott jones

scott jones Member

Good luck posting on their website. I couldn't even find a comment section.
    but MotorWeek is on Facebbok and a few of us have expressed our thoughts.
    https://www.facebook.com/MotorWeekTV/

18. DriverOne

DriverOne Member

Did they enable ludicrous mode?

19. bwa

bwa Member

I don't mind if someone tries something and fails. I even don't mind if they publish it. But it shows how weak they are that they published a failure without trying a little tiny bit harder. How hard is it to charge it and turn on the fast options? Any Tesla aficionado would know exactly how to do this. They are failures because they aren't Tesla aficionados or hired one to explain the simple stuff to them.

20. DillyBop

DillyBop Member

just saw the episode. journalistic incompetence. and inexcusable.

i have literally never seen anything like that. a P90D. 4.0 to 60. are you SERIOUS?!?!??!