TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Motor whine

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by insaneoctane, Jul 2, 2018.

1. insaneoctane

insaneoctane Active Member

I have noticed a motor whine recently that I don't remember hearing before. It only occurs at very low load levels, but it's loud enough that I was able to capture it on my phone. It reminds me of the whine you hear on your stereo when you turn the volume and gain up too high. It is most noticeable at the 1:20 mark if you don't want to hear turn signals for sound baselining.

The linked file is aac which my phone played no problem ....

Anyone else notice this noise ?

• Informative x 1
  2. outdoors

outdoors Supporting Member

I also get the whine when hovering or lightly pressing on accelerator or at the beginning of deceleration if that makes any sense. However this sound is also present on the Model S as well. I must say though the sound is a bit different than what I hear on your file. That could be from the phone's microphone however.

It doesn't bother me, and I would say normal. The 4 banger in my Subaru Outback was just horrible all the time. :D

3. insaneoctane

I agree that it's not loud, but I haven't noticed it until recently. You know how the cheaper LED bulbs sometimes whine at low levels? Well, at $60K, I was thinking this was the more expensive "bulb" ;)

4. insaneoctane

It is ONLY audible a very very low loads

5. SomeJoe7777

SomeJoe7777 Marginally-Known Member

I think you're hearing the inverter noise, not the motor. At very low loads, the inverter is switching power on and off a lot to lower the applied torque -- the switching noise is what you're hearing.

The Model 3 reluctance motor makes virtually no noise on its own. The Model S/X induction motors have a much more pronounced whine due to the slip of the rotor compared to the stator's rotating magnetic field.

For what it's worth, the AWD and Performance Model 3's will have an induction motor up front. Given it's inherently higher whine and the proximity to the driver, I think both the AWD and Performance Model 3 variants will have a lot more audible motor noise.

• Informative x 2