TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Motorcycle detection change in AP? Car shifted left for lane splitter

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Cstreet, Dec 27, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Cstreet

Cstreet Member

I noticed a change today on the highway when a lane splitting bike came up on my right side the rear sensor lines showed red and my car moved over to hug the left lane marker. The bike moved away and it stayed like that for another few seconds before moving back over. Usually the car won't shift over for bikes. Has anyone else seen this? It made for an impressive AP demo for a new passenger.

AP1 refresh with 2.50.114

• Informative x 1
  2. mblakele

mblakele radial cross member

I've seen behavior like that all year — but not reliably. I don't think the APv1 ultrasonic sensors are capable of doing it reliably, because they have a pretty short range. Anyway I don't think it's new: for example here's a similar report from September.

• Like x 1
  3. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

I believe that a few months ago someone else posted a similar story on TMC.

4. theslimshadyist

theslimshadyist NashVegas!

I guess you guys get use to the lane splitters over a period of time? Whenever I get on the 405 while visiting the LA area, those lane splitters scare the crap out of me. I tightly grip the wheel while the anxiety kicks in. lol