Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Motorcycle high fives my passenger mirror...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
With this mirror slapping being common in many cities, some have taken to mounting spikes on their mirrors to teach bikers the error of their ways.

Lane splitting where legal is a privilege, but cagers are not obligated to swerve out of the way of a fast approaching bike.

Many drivers, if they notice a bike is approaching will give them extra room, but they are not obligated to constantly watch their mirrors for approaching bikers.

A fellow I know just had this happen to his Tesla Model Y. This is clearly a thing that some motorcycle riders do for fun, possibly for bragging rights. Teslas seem to be a preferred target. It happens in stop and go traffic. The motorcycle rider drives in between cars, knocks the mirror off a Tesla as they drive by, and then ride away down the narrow path between cars, leaving the Tesla stuck there in traffic. If you notice a motorcycle without plates, try to be sure that they don't get behind you. If you see them splitting traffic lanes approaching your Tesla from behind, there's a good chance they spotted you and are aiming to knock your mirror off.

Lane splitting is stupid and dangerous. It is magnet for incidents and crimes.
Untrue. Just like any other activity, you have people who are able to do it with no issue, and those whose temperament does not allow it. I've been riding motorcycles and lane splitting for over 25 years and I've never been in an accident while doing it. I've also never hit another persons vehicle while doing it. When I split, my expectation is not that anyone will move for me, but that I need to pick and choose my opportunities to move forward. Splitting isn't the issue (it's also legal in Europe with no consequence), it's the mentality of THAT particular rider.

Reactions: buckets0fun
Problem is lane-centering/Autopilot, I am not turning it off to let someone by etc. Also Lane splitting was made for old bikes that were air cooled(not that case for almost all bikes for MANY years), ALSO and most importantly, Lane splitting is for traffic at low speeds, not just cause they wanna go 100 in the carpool lane.
Also untrue (at least in CA). Lane splitting is legal by omission here (unless something changed since I last looked). Meaning, there is no speed limit to lane splitting (other than the road speed limit), only suggested limits relative to other traffic. It is up to the person on the bike to make the best decision on weather to split or not. I fully admit that sometimes people make poor choices. Air cooled or not, if you've ever sat on the back of a bike baking in traffic from the heat coming off your own exhaust, the exhaust from the cars around you all while inhaling noxious fumes from other cars, you would choose to lane split too. Not to mention, it allows you to avoid sitting in stop and go traffic saving both time and fuel. When I lived in San Francisco, if I drove to work it would take me between 1-1.5 hours. It took 30 minutes on a bike in light traffic and 45minutes in heavy traffic. Not to mention the time savings for people in cars. Imagine everyone on a bike is sitting in traffic in front of you, now imagine they all lane split away, think of the time it saves YOU not sitting behind them. Splitting is a win for everyone, provided we all treat each other with a bit of respect.

I've been riding motorcycles since 1982 (starting in NYC, and now in Florida) and I have never made a habit of lane splitting. It's just too damn dangerous.

It is my understanding that the legality of lane splitting is a legacy from air cooled bikes that would over heat if you sat in traffic, it was never meant for normal driving... but because it is legal in many areas for the overheating issue it is used and abused in daily driving.

Keith

• Disagree
Reactions: buckets0fun
It is my understanding that the legality of lane splitting is a legacy from air cooled bikes that would over heat if you sat in traffic, it was never meant for normal driving... but because it is legal in many areas for the overheating issue it is used and abused in daily driving.

Keith
It began with air-cooled engines in mind. But, it has evolved in CA, at least, to be a safe way for motorcycles to traverse heavy traffic. I lane spilt for years during my daily commute and felt safer. If you are riding next to another car, there's a better chance someone won't blindly merge in to you. The one motorcycle accident I got in to during my commute was when I wasn't lane splitting. Someone changed lanes into me because they weren't looking for a motorcycle. If I had a car next to me, that person would have seen the car and not tried to change lanes.
Most people hate lane splitting out of spite that they're sitting in traffic while motorcycles aren't. It's not dangerous if done correctly. If you've never ridden a motorcycle you are just making baseless assumptions.

Status
Not open for further replies.