Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Motorcyclist Hostility

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Rode bikes for years, and always appreciated when a cager would give me a little extra space to get by. Also understood that it was something that I was absolutely NOT entitled to. It was a gift from a fellow traveler.

Interesting that most bikers consider their bikes to be sacred. No one else is allowed to touch them. Then feel entitled to swat a cars mirror. Bad thing is that once they swat the mirror, the cager will no longer be able to see the next biker coming up along side and could easily turn into him fattally because the mirror is no longer functional...

Swating a mirror is a Dick move. No Gremlin bell in the world is large enough to protect him from that poor Karma.

Reactions: arcus and f205v
I apologize as a two wheel commuter - I hate when I read stuff like this. Commuting is dangerous on two wheels and courteous polite interactions are better for everyone.

No excuse but the frustrations and dangers of 2 wheel commuting sometimes lead to bad decisions by some motorcyclists. I average 10-12 people a day moving over to block me splitting. 3 people driving without headlights every night. Too many people using phones to count and lately a dozen plus smoking weed. Oh - I almost forgot the S/X are wide and sometimes AP seem to "center" to the right side of the lane...(a little sarcasm) while the driver is unaware as he is focuses on using his phone.

Reactions: f205v
One of the ways I am able to see the lane-splitting motorcyclist is in my side mirror. What's the purpose of an act of vengeance being to knock a car's side mirror? That makes it more dangerous for later motorcyclists. Unless they were being chased by another motorcyclist and were trying to stymy them like in the movies where the person being pursued in a busy street market knocks over wares to block the way of the pursuer.

Last edited:
One of the ways I am able to see the lane-splitting motorcyclist is in my side mirror. What's the purpose of an act of vengeance being to knock a car's side mirror? That makes it more dangerous for later motorcyclists. Unless they were being chased by another motorcyclist and were trying to stymy them like in the movies where the person being pursued in a busy street market knocks over wares to block the way of the pursuer.

There is no logic or reason to these acts. Motorcyclist was an asshole. I guess he was trying to punish the driver cause the rider probably has the intellect of a 5 year old.

No wonder you quit.. thanks for not riding.

Ha, no I quit because I have too much invested in my head and my family. My wife, who used to ride her own, would not ride anymore due to the risks. I sold my bike last year, and I was sorry to see it go. None of the riders I rode with ever split lanes because, 1: it puts you and your bike where a driver/cager does not expect you, which 2: makes it a stupid, dangerous, aggressive move. So, you wanna defend that practice? Hey, it's your pelvis.

Last edited:
Ha, no I quit because I have too much invested in my head and my family. My wife, who used to ride her own, would not ride anymore due to the risks. I sold my bike last year, and I was sorry to see it go. None of the riders I rode with ever split lanes because, 1: it puts you and your bike where a driver/cager does not expect you, which 2: makes it a stupid, dangerous, aggressive move. So, you wanna defend that practice? Hey, it's your pelvis.

That's totally wrong. Maybe in Florida it doesn't make sense, but in California it's the norm during the commute hours, fully legal and expected, and it does two things:
- less cars clogging up the freeway
- bikers are less likely to get into an accident because of rear-ending

If I lived in Florida I wouldn't bother riding unless it's off-road or track.

There seems to be an assumption that the driver is alert and sees or hears the lane splitter coming. Especially in heavy Sf Bay Area traffic, I am watching my mirrors regularly and often I still don't see them coming, or they are really fast or they just appear from another lane. I would certainly move over if I had the opportunity.

That's totally wrong. Maybe in Florida it doesn't make sense, but in California it's the norm during the commute hours, fully legal and expected, and it does two things:
- less cars clogging up the freeway
- bikers are less likely to get into an accident because of rear-ending

If I lived in Florida I wouldn't bother riding unless it's off-road or track.

Totally wrong? You are riding in the same lane, 18-24" from a 2000+ lb. vehicle whose driver likely does not see you, nor expect anyone to occupy that space between him and the lane stripes. I'm sure that seems normal to riders who think that their bike owns the entire lane, but to defensive drivers in any state, that is a lane-change broken pelvis waiting to happen. 99% of the time this is the practice of riders aboard "high RPM torque", short-raked Japanese bikes. And yes, I rode a slow and low cruiser mostly in NY/NJ/CT since 1997 before giving it up in Florida. The justifications you give are street-bike folklore akin to the lives saved with "loud pipes" and the "great visibility with no helmet" arguments commonly heard on Bike Week barstools and in diner booths along any country road. It's an ill-advised practice and I recommend against it. Please be careful.

I used to commute in CA on my crotch rocket to work every day except when raining or dark. Splitting lanes was never really a problem of space for me if car, trucks, or even truck trucks stayed centered. Maybe the Harley style bikes need more space but that is their issue. No need to smack a mirror over it.