Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Motorized automatic car wash

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@ev-soon
Hi, I got the rim guards from EVANNEX. They are about $100 for a set that protects all 4 wheels. Different options for base color & band color. Match the rims or have a highlight. They have more than paid for themselves many times over. Especially when I first got the S and did not judge the car width well when parallel parking.

Definitely buy them again!

Last edited:
Reactions: ig_epower
^^^^ What he said!!! ^^^^
Be careful to line yourself up perfectly before you pull into the rails, and you should be okay. DO NOT trust the guy waving you in (if there even is one). They expect the rail to bump/push you into alignment, which definitely can (and will) gouge your rim.
I see you're in the Columbus Ohio area.
Which car wash do you use?
Do you use the one down the street from the Columbus/Grove City supercharger?
I saw it once while passing through last year but I've never tried it on a red Tesla model S.
The red Model S tends to get a little dirty passing through Ohio with all the snow in Road treatments/road salt.
Which Columbus Ohio carwashes have you used?

It really depends on how much risk you are willing to take and how much extra time you have (and money).

Brushed car washes are the worst of the bunch, but you really don't see these now-a-days. Brushless is more common (its those long felt-like strips instead of true brushes) and are less likely to do damage or cause swirls. Touchless is the preferred but I find it doesn't get my cars as cleaned (unless, I guess, you run it through all the time. I don't). Nothing beats hand washing. Those drive in and you wash with sprayers and stuff work fairly well too.

If you really want to, most of the nicer car washes off a hand wash as well - but its a bit more expensive. My biggest issue is the tracked car washes. The car autoparks when no one is sitting (or thats what my tesla delivery guy said) so there is a potential they mess up a bit and it parks with parking break and tries to go through the washer - ripping the drive train (fyi how do yall handle this issue for those that uses these washes).

Another good option: find some kids doing a car wash - give them a hefty size tip/pay and ask for a good wash - they usually do well plus it goes to a good cause.

My only dilemma is from an environmental standpoint. Hand washing at home does cause chemicals and soaps to go straight to the rivers & lakes. Car washes clean/filter (and reuse) before it leaves the facility. So I want my car to be nice and clean without damage, I want to be environmentally friendly, but I don't want to spend alot of money. Most of these things are opposites.

My only dilemma is from an environmental standpoint. Hand washing at home does cause chemicals and soaps to go straight to the rivers & lakes. Car washes clean/filter (and reuse) before it leaves the facility. So I want my car to be nice and clean without damage, I want to be environmentally friendly, but I don't want to spend alot of money. Most of these things are opposites.

Use a rinsless wash at home like Optimum. Uses very little water to wash your whole car. Great stuff.

I see you're in the Columbus Ohio area.
Which car wash do you use?
Do you use the one down the street from the Columbus/Grove City supercharger?
I saw it once while passing through last year but I've never tried it on a red Tesla model S.
The red Model S tends to get a little dirty passing through Ohio with all the snow in Road treatments/road salt.
Which Columbus Ohio carwashes have you used?
I use a touchless car wash for normal upkeep. It's called the Roberts Road Car Wash, located at 4980 Roberts Road, Hilliard, OH 43026
To get the built-up film and gunk off, I occasionally use the Klean A Kar Express, located at 3880 Brown Park Dr, Hilliard, OH 43026
The one you're referring to is the MooMoo Express Car Wash, located at 2190 Stringtown Rd, Grove City, OH 43123
I've used a MooMoo Car Wash once at a different location when I first got my car, but I can't honestly remember how well it did though.
Those are the only car washes I've used, other than by hand.
Be careful of those rails if you have the 21" wheels. I got a scuff on my rim because the rails weren't guarded well enough, and the 21's sidewalls are too short and don't really protrude out much beyond the wheel. Well, that and the guy running the wash kept waving me forward when I want to backup and straighten out... Last time I let them do that to me!

• Informative
Reactions: RacerX
Yesterday, I queried our local SC reps on where to take my new X for a wash. They recommended I find a local hand wash or detailing shop. They explained that the X has frameless doors, and edges. The heat from the blowers and force of some of the sprays could damage the seals over time, so it was safest to go with hand washes.

• Informative
Reactions: jrad6515
Yesterday, I queried our local SC reps on where to take my new X for a wash. They recommended I find a local hand wash or detailing shop. They explained that the X has frameless doors, and edges. The heat from the blowers and force of some of the sprays could damage the seals over time, so it was safest to go with hand washes.
Not that I am, in any way, an export in such things, but . . . . . . . I feel as if this is wrong. I mean, it's still a car. Yes, it's high tech and bleeding edge technology for certain aspects, but it is still a car. It was rigorously tested against daily experiences, weather and other things the world might throw at it while in our possession. That being said, I find it hard to believe that heated water and blowing air can damage the car. Machine brushes may leave swirls and/or scratches. I do believe that. But spray and a blow dry . . . . I'm skeptical the car is that fragile. Again, I am not an expert, but this just feel inaccurate to me.

How you wash your car is all based on your preference (or your personalities/characteristics). Some take it to the brushed carwash (gas station), some take it to the brushless carwash (moving side-to-side strips), some pay other people to hand wash, and some wash it themselves.

There's no right or wrong way to wash a car. It's all up to the car owner how he/she wants the car to be washed.

Another good option: find some kids doing a car wash - give them a hefty size tip/pay and ask for a good wash - they usually do well plus it goes to a good cause..

I wouldn't do this. If you want to support the kids, fine, give them money but don't let them near your car's paint.

They commonly use grit laden sponges, grimy towels, buckets of previously used soapy water, clothing with metal parts, you name it.

There are waterless car wash products. Those and a large number of microfiber towels can clean your car without paint damage and little environmental impact. The goal is to roll the microfiber as you clean so dirt is lifted from and not dragged across the paint.

Reactions: JohnnyG