Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

motorized charge port door?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Patrick W

Mar 17, 2015
SLC, UT
Reading through the S's owners manual it says:

+++++
Hold down the rear trunk button on the
key for 1-2 seconds (applicable only if
Model S is equipped with a motorized
charge port).

Note: If you do not insert the charge cable
into the charge port within a few minutes
after opening the charge port door,
the latch closes.
+++++

Holding down the trunk button always opens the door. Going by the above that would seem to indicate the door is motorized.

But once open, no matter how long I leave the port door open it never closes on it's own.

So, is it motorized and I'm missing something? Or not motorized?

Motorized charge port doors were added around the time the D models came out. If your car's older, you don't have that.

The door opens automatically on earlier cars because it's spring-loaded.

It's from earlier this year (just added that bit of data and the VIN to my signature below). Ds were out well before that. But judging from what I'm hearing here mine is not motorized. Does that qualify as a First World Problem? :) Actually not a problem. No motor means one less thing to go wrong.

But in any case I've always thought it odd the door opens the way it does. Seems like the hinge should be to the front so that the pressure of the wind when driving would close the door if it's accidentally left open.

It's from earlier this year (just added that bit of data and the VIN to my signature below). Ds were out well before that. But judging from what I'm hearing here mine is not motorized. Does that qualify as a First World Problem? :) Actually not a problem. No motor means one less thing to go wrong.

Yep, D-only feature.

But in any case I've always thought it odd the door opens the way it does. Seems like the hinge should be to the front so that the pressure of the wind when driving would close the door if it's accidentally left open.

The taper of the taillight means that putting the hinge on the forward side would mean a short hinge (in the vertical direction) which would make the door weak in terms of supporting vertical forces. Besides, if the hinge were on the other side I'm fairly certain the wind wouldn't be enough to close it against the spring force. As the door would start to close, less of the door would be exposed to the wind, and the closing force would decrease. You need that force most when the door is nearly shut!

The taper of the taillight means that putting the hinge on the forward side would mean a short hinge (in the vertical direction) which would make the door weak in terms of supporting vertical forces. Besides, if the hinge were on the other side I'm fairly certain the wind wouldn't be enough to close it against the spring force. As the door would start to close, less of the door would be exposed to the wind, and the closing force would decrease. You need that force most when the door is nearly shut!

Good point. Had not thought about it that way. Thanks.

Just hope I don't absentmindedly drive off with it open catch it on something. Ouch!