Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Motorized chargeport retro-fit to Classic model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

scottm

Legacy account
Jun 13, 2014
Canada
Anybody successfully install a newer style (motorized) charge port into an older car that had the pop-open-only door?

This is all pre-facelift era stuff I'm talking about... maybe the motorized door has gone through a couple generations since, I don't know.

But you'd know if you dropped something newer into a Classic, and part number cross-references would be great for ebay shopping of used parts.

Thanks!

(I know there's a related thread over in user interface subforum asking if the car would recognize the newer port in software, apparently it does... but at the risk of cross posting I thought this was more of a charging type question and physical charging parts related question - moderators adjust my thinking as needed)

I asked the service center and they said it doesn't fit. I remember someone who rebuilt Teslas also said it's physically not possible to put the motorized port into the old car. Then there is the problem of making the car recognize and control the different door.