Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Motorsports in the Ottawa Area (especially EV!)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks, I'm sure I'll be watching your videos over and over. Too bad Calabogie isn't one of the tracks on Gran Turismo...

If chumpcar is something you're seriously considering let me know. I think our team would be open to renting out a seat.

Well, since you're coming to Calabogie I would definitely be interested in renting a seat for the event.

Had a great test-and-tune event at Calabogie today. The suspension mods I did on my Corvette fixed the horrible understeer problems I'd been having.

Oh, and for mnx, here's another few laps of Calabogie for you (in my Corvette C6). Line is a little different in places for the Corvette... also the Mustang I'm chasing has some interesting takes on the driving line.

Last edited by a moderator:
He told me afterwards that he was driving 10/10ths. He was on street tires but has a fully setup race car. I wasn't pushing as hard but have 400 HP. His comment was, "that car has balls". Should be fun battling it out in the Gentleman's race next week, although he says he's planning to run slicks. Maybe hope for rain...

Someday I'd love to have an EV that can do that for more than a lap.

Well, I completed the MCO Advanced Driving Course yesterday. That was an incredible amount of fun! I've learned SO much about the driving dynamics of that car, and how to use the all that torque to my advantage. Finding that line between over driving and under driving is tough.. especially when you're trying to throw 4700 lbs of batteries around some REALLY tight cones.

Not having any sort of revs to help you know how much power is running to the wheels was initially tough, but you get used to foot position and tire noise to help guide your throttle modulation. That skid pad was hella fun!

Went to the St LAC autocross event in Picton, ON over the weekend. They use three runways at the Picton Airport (formerly CFB Picton). Longest, fastest autocross course anywhere in Canada, I'm sure.

Here's one of my runs. I'm experimenting with data overlay; not sure it's precisely synchronized but it's interesting to watch. (And no, I have no idea why the fool software includes altitude...)

Last edited by a moderator:
I stayed the night before at the Best Western in Belleville. They have a CS-40, which was just barely enough to fully charge the Roadster in the time available (only needed 2/3 of a charge). Wouldn't be nearly enough for the Model S, unless you wanted to stay there a looong time.

I needed a top-up for the trip home so I stopped in at the Shannonville Motorsports Park, which was open for an evening lapping event (always check first - if the gate is open, you should be good). One hour there was plenty as it delivered 237V 70A. I could have also gone to Kingston, but Shannonville wasn't much out of the way and has higher voltage.

If you were bringing a Model S, I would recommend overnighting at the Best Western in Kingston. They have a CS-90. Or Cobourg, though that means more driving.

Last edited:
By happenstance I had a few laps of the Calabogie Motorsports Park in my Model S today. Did pretty good on the first lap, a little slower on the second. The brakes aren't quite up to snuff at corner 5 (after the long straight), but it corners quite well. Didn't record any video but here's a pic:

IMG_2909.JPG

By happenstance I had a few laps of the Calabogie Motorsports Park in my Model S today. Did pretty good on the first lap, a little slower on the second. The brakes aren't quite up to snuff at corner 5 (after the long straight), but it corners quite well.

Did you find a significant reduction in power as you entered into the second lap? Did you start the lapping with a full battery?

Did you find a significant reduction in power as you entered into the second lap? Did you start the lapping with a full battery?

It was showing a modest power limit at the start of the second lap. I got off the track after two laps, as that was all I was intending to do. I really went to the track to socialize; running a couple of laps was a bonus. Otherwise I would have brought the Corvette.

One of the guys asked me to take him out about half an hour later. Apparently it hadn't cooled off fully; it was already starting to limit slightly by the end of the back straight.

The battery was about 2/3 when I started because it took about a third to get to the track (I didn't bother conserving power on the way there).