Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MotorTrend article: Tesla Model 3 vs I-pace vs Alfa Romeo Guilia Q...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

One second off the pace from the best and most powerful sports sedan in its class, while under tired and with what is a beta version of track mode. I'd call that a virtual win – and it would be really interesting to see the car minimally upgraded with 245/35 Michelins or more radically 265/35-19s on a 19 x 9.5. I bet either one of those changes particularly the second one would shave significantly more than a second from the car's track time. Although Motor Trend mentioned this inequity, they really didn't give it nearly enough weight. The Alfa Romeo's win should have had a huge asterisk attached to it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sg911
Yeah, because ICE cars will get tired of losing all the time. Give it 10 years and I believe that will be exactly the case.

With a level playing field on tire complement, the best ICE sport sedan would have lost NOW!! In ten years, there won't be any ICE sports sedans. They will all be electric, and Tesla likely will be the best of the lot. After all they got a huge head start, and their first serious sport sedan is a screaming homerun.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Sg911
There is quite a bit of engine braking when you're revving an ICE at high RPM. There's no reason you couldn't make an ICE vehicle apply the brakes as you let off the throttle. I wonder if there could be a small benefit from true one pedal driving (i.e. full friction brake when you let off accelerator).

The problem is you can never control either engine braking or engine thrust with anything approximating the precision or the speed of an electric motor paired with the proper computer control. In that sense, it's really only a matter of time before the evolution of track mode kicks everyone's butt – like they said fear 2.0!!

Reactions: Nocturnal and Sg911
whoa guys...I know i'm not winning any arguments on this one...

The Tesla with still unavailable Track Mode came in second place... against a stock Alfa on stock tires.
"We could do that time if we were willing to destroy our tires..." is the definition of an excuse... just because it may be true doesn't change the fact that the Model 3 lost in the Lap (objective evaluation) and the Alfa was declared the better car overall (Subjective and arguable at best). Sure... lets see them on the same shoes and maybe the results would come out the other way... maybe not... but this is a comparison between 2 production cars with the same driver. I'm not saying it wasn't an impressive showing, but i'd rather see a win... as i'm sure most others on this board would have liked to see.

I'm not sure you're really crediting or weighing the tire disparity properly. Neither did Motor Trend. On comparable tires, there isn't any question in my opinion anyway that even with what is likely a beta version of track mode, the Tesla would have won comfortably. With track mode 2.0, and competition tires of at least 245/35, I'd bet my mortgage that the Tesla would win that race. Yes, it would have been nice if it had won even with all those disadvantages (then we could really trumpet its superiority and be even more smug!), but let's be realistic. Those are big disadvantages, especially the high mileage relatively skinny 235 tire, as fine a street tire as it is.

Last edited:
Why, because in this particular race Pobst drove Alfa 1 second faster?

You have P3D which is $10k cheaper, running a beta version of Track Mode, rolling 300 tread tires putting up very competitive times. Not only is P3D within a second of Alfa and M4 on this track, but it beats them all in 0-60, 0-100, and 1/4 mile. M3 on the same track was recorded 1:27.67 and 1:29.02.

So are you sure you wouldn't want to just put on a set of better tires and embarrass the top dog ICE sedan that costs more? This isn't accounting for further improvements once Track Mode is finalized and goes public. Man you're hard to please.

Remember Tesla went from Not-A-Track-Car Model S to I can run with the top dogs of ICE sedans on tracks with Model 3.

EXACTLY!!

With a level playing field on tire complement, the best ICE sport sedan would have lost NOW!! In ten years, there won't be any ICE sports sedans. They will all be electric, and Tesla likely will be the best of the lot. After all they got a huge head start, and their first serious sport sedan is a screaming homerun.

Have you seen the latest Goodwood Hill Climb? I won't spoil it but you can guess what kind of car won this year AND placed second.

The paradigm shift has already begun.

• Love
Reactions: Brando
HEADS UP October 21st event for Tesla owners $10 to $179 - looks like fun.

Tesla Corsa | The world's first Tesla-only track day experience!

WELCOME TO TESLA CORSA
Welcome to the world’s first exclusively Tesla on track experience for owners. TeslaCorsa was founded to encourage Tesla owners to experience the limits of their cars in a professionally managed race track environment. By exploring the limits in a controlled environment we can ensure maximum fun, safety and absence of speeding tickets. Enjoy a day at the track surrounded with fellow Tesla friends and create great memories that will be captured by professional photographers and videographers.

sorry, I wasn't sure where to post this. Has/was this already widely publicized ?

Last edited:
  • Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: Arpe and Sg911