Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MotorTrend article: Tesla Model 3 vs I-pace vs Alfa Romeo Guilia Q...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow, I think that's the first time Randy Pobst drove a P3D with Track Mode, and he nearly beat Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio's lap. Tesla engineer noted it could've beat Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio if they chose to use tires that would wear out faster.

Impressive. And P3D is $10k cheaper than the other 2 cars tested.

Last edited:
If Tesla had swapped tires with the Alfa, the results would have also swapped.

With Tesla's exquisite control over it's torque it is only a matter of time before they become more track dominate.

Imagine that in the future there will be different racing classes for EV and ICE.

Reactions: dfwatt
If Tesla had swapped tires with the Alfa, the results would have also swapped.

With Tesla's exquisite control over it's torque it is only a matter of time before they become more track dominate.

Imagine that in the future there will be different racing classes for EV and ICE.
Yeah, because ICE cars will get tired of losing all the time. Give it 10 years and I believe that will be exactly the case.

That was too bad... Tesla needed to be better the Alfa where it matters to performance drivers. A close second is still second. Being close, and a glimpse into the bright future type of crap is what we've been hearing for a long time. The tires are just an excuse... guess that's why it took so long to see a real comparison test against the best in class competition.

Still love my car, but this wasn't the outing I wanted to see... not unexpected, but still disappointing.

Yeah the Alfa and the I pace were running essentially R compound tires. The quadrifoglio that was tested had 60 treadwear tires while the Tesla was running 500 treadwear 235 wide tires. :eek:
Those numbers were unbelievable, so I checked to see if you were using hyperbole ... NO! Those tires really are UTQG:60 AA A. Not a very equal comparison.

Here's some great excerpts from the article:
Then somebody notices the Alfa's Pirelli P Zero Corsa AR Asimmetrico front tires. They're asimmetrico, all right: Half of each tread block's rubber is gone after two sets of three hard laps. The Tesla engineer points to his car's Michelin Pilot Sport 4Ss that are at worst scuffed. "We could do that time if we were willing to destroy our tires," he says. The Tesla's rubber contains complex compounding across its tread for minimal rolling resistance but stickiness for corners (with foam glued into its interior to reduce noise). The technical investment in this tire—which can generate 0.95 g's of cornering grip from a 4,078-pound car without significantly damaging the rubber and still deliver 310 miles on a charge—is remarkable.

The other day, I read Bob Lutz espouse that "Tesla has no tech advantage, no software advantage, no battery advantage. No advantages whatsoever." With all due respect, Bob, that's bull.

But the Jag's EPA-estimated 234-mile range—from a nominal battery size of 90 kW-hr—brings a sigh compared to the Model 3's 310 miles from 75 kW-hr

One of them eyes the Tesla and says, "That electricity has to come from somewhere, you know. By burning things. Wind is too unpredictable." I nod, but I don't add that about 30 percent of California's 2017 retail electricity was produced by renewable sources.

But at 80 percent of its limit, the Tesla is an Oculus Rift headset in a CXC full-motion driving simulator.... —you're Luke Skywalker attacking the Death Star.

But think of the Tesla's Track mode as version 1.0.

Fear 2.0.

Those numbers were unbelievable, so I checked to see if you were using hyperbole ... NO! Those tires really are UTQG:60 AA A. Not a very equal comparison.

Here's some great excerpts from the article:

Got it seems that the 500 wear thing is a mistake but if is 300 we there is a huge difference

he Pirelli tires are in the "streetable track & competition" segment and the Michelin's are in the "max performance summer" tires.. .... not even on the "extreme performance summer tires"

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...ewall=Blackwall&partnum=83YR90CARXL&tab=Specs
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...ewall=Blackwall&partnum=54YR7P0TRN0&tab=Specs
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Pilot+Sport+4S&partnum=335YR0PS4SXLAC&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&autoMake=Tesla&autoYear=2018&autoModel=Model 3&autoModClar=Dual Motor All-Wheel Drive

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: P85_DA