Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MOTORTREND : Best drivers car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've wondered the same thing. It makes some sense if the motor is the primary bottleneck.

The answer is a password away. I'm sure if you could enter the diagnostic mode it would be clear exactly what is overheating.

Tesla should make this a third party opportunity to upgrade the car to track quality.

Certainly this has been going on for a long time with German cars (e.g. AMG, Renntech, Brabus, M series, etc).

It could be as simple as a large radiator in the middle of the frunk and some firmware changes.

Even if you have bigger radiators there is a physics dilemma with the current motor.
The rotor inside develops a lot of heat because the magnetic fields are constantly acting on it, and it is very hard to get that heat out.
Even if you cool the outside of the motor the heat will only transfer so fast out of the rotor because it is insulated by the air gap.

Even if you have bigger radiators there is a physics dilemma with the current motor.
The rotor inside develops a lot of heat because the magnetic fields are constantly acting on it, and it is very hard to get that heat out.
Even if you cool the outside of the motor the heat will only transfer so fast out of the rotor because it is insulated by the air gap.

I agree it is hard to cool the rotor. Do you have any solutions?

I guess this is like "How do you cool the piston" in an ICE.

I agree it is hard to cool the rotor. Do you have any solutions?

I guess this is like "How do you cool the piston" in an ICE.

In the current car, none. I think Tesla has some patents on running coolant through the drive shaft into the rotor. Maybe we will see that in the future. The idea of one motor per wheel as helping the cooling situation is also interesting.

In the current cars ( both Roadster and Model S ) what I would really want is twofold:
1) Turn off regen completely because regen adds to motor heat. I want my entire heat budget going towards going fast and will let the brake pads slow me down. If I am only going to get one hot lap I don't give a crap about my range.
2) Accurate temperature gauges with derivatives. I want to know the amount of energy I can consume that maintains the temperature of the motor at just under its maximum. I'd like to know how hard I can drive indefinitely without being power limited by heat ( until the battery runs out ) and on the flip side I want to know hard I can push the car so I can exactly finish one hot lap before the power limit comes on.

I've taken my Model S 85P on the track and had a pretty good time with it. I'm not a pro, was just out for some fun. Later in the evening a pro did drive the car and loved it at first, then after the first lap the power and acceleration dropped off and I was pretty disappointed. I'm happy now to learn why that happened.

On the road, some would say I drive aggressively. I would say that I pay very close attention to what I am doing, and enjoy the sensation of the slingshot like power that the Model S has. My BMW 335i was much less enjoyable to drive comparatively, and I freaking loved that car.

This car was not built for the track, it was built for the road. I imagine it was not included in the test because Tesla has no desire to demonstrate what many would view as a shortcoming of the vehicle. Some people like to take every opportunity to disparage Tesla and entering into a competition like this where they have a distinct disadvantage would not be logical. Elon Musk is nothing if not logical.

Accurate temperature gauges with derivatives. I want to know the amount of energy I can consume that maintains the temperature of the motor at just under its maximum. I'd like to know how hard I can drive indefinitely without being power limited by heat ( until the battery runs out ) and on the flip side I want to know hard I can push the car so I can exactly finish one hot lap before the power limit comes on.
Something like this was suggested in another thread. Even if Tesla doesn't provide the data, just having a setting to limit power to a set amount and some experimenting can probably allow you to accomplish at least one good lap.

The real "fix" would be to find where the actual bottleneck is and address it. If it's really rotor cooling, then there really isn't much that can be done, but if it's something that more radiators can solve, then it does present an aftermarket opportunity.

Some time ago, in another thread that I can't find, there was speculation that the power limit was coming on as soon as the car decided that it only had 30 miles of range left at the current energy expenditure. On the track, that can be pretty quick. That is, it wasn't because of actual overheating of anything at all. Someone experimented to try to verify this. I must be using the wrong keywords to search, though. Anyone else remember this?

Some time ago, in another thread that I can't find, there was speculation that the power limit was coming on as soon as the car decided that it only had 30 miles of range left at the current energy expenditure. On the track, that can be pretty quick. That is, it wasn't because of actual overheating of anything at all. Someone experimented to try to verify this. I must be using the wrong keywords to search, though. Anyone else remember this?
That theory was thought up by CapitalistOppressor, although since then I believe people have reported seeing the limiter even when the estimated range is above 30 miles, so that kind of debunked it as the core reason (although it's still a possibility that there's always a limiter below 30 miles).
http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/show...-BMW-M5/page42?p=216585&viewfull=1#post216585
http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/show...he-Track/page5?p=216597&viewfull=1#post216597

Here's Scott Evans' reply about why the Tesla Model S was not included for Best Drivers' Car:

Scott Evans
11 days ago

@AndrewDLee Adding the Model S isn't really feasible. Each vehicle must drive to Highway 198, which is in the middle of nowhere and not at all close to a Supercharger or even a basic wall outlet. By the time the Tesla arrived, it would be at half charge or worse, and it wouldn't last through 12 hot runs up and down the closed-road hill climb. It then wouldn't make it to Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca, either. Moreover, we did run the Model S at Mazda Raceway, as you can see in our first Long-Term Update. Discharging the battery quickly enough to race around a track creates a lot of heat and the car goes into a battery protection mode, cutting power output. At 1:50.79, it was just quicker than a Subaru BRZ.

Does anyone know if the diag screen show a seperate temp for the outside of the motor and the rotor? Or if it's a single temp is it the rotor temp?

The answer is a password away. I'm sure if you could enter the diagnostic mode it would be clear exactly what is overheating.

Tesla should make this a third party opportunity to upgrade the car to track quality.

Certainly this has been going on for a long time with German cars (e.g. AMG, Renntech, Brabus, M series, etc).

It could be as simple as a large radiator in the middle of the frunk and some firmware changes.

I was sad to see the accelaration limiter show up on the demo car I was test driving. Once I got to 80mph the car fell flat on its face, and part of me thought I just needed to give it more throttle, but I let up, instead. Thanks to the forums, I learned that it's programmed that way. Oh well.

Here's Scott Evans' reply about why the Tesla Model S was not included for Best Drivers' Car:
Fair enough. For the conditions they're measuring, Tesla has some work to do to make a car fit those needs. It's potentially arguable it's not worth the investment to address that niche usage, but I'm sure technically Tesla could find a way if they wanted to make that commitment.