Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MotorTrend Model Y Styling Breakdown

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Zoomit

Sep 1, 2015
SoCal
https://www.motortrend.com/news/tesla-model-y-design-breakdown/

A few cogent points about whether the aero-focused rear roofline slope will be accepted and whether it's differentiated enough from the Model 3.

My favorite line is: "When I look at the Model Y's profile, what I see is the price of batteries talking. It's pack probably costs $10,000-plus, meaning—unlike a gasoline car—the Model Y has to be obsessively efficient to minimize this tremendously expensive cost." This is very true, and was my first impression when I first saw the Model 3 and again with the Model Y. The vehicle highway range must be part of the "utility" equation, which emphasizes aero efficiency more than with ICE CUVs.

It looks like VW came to the same conclusion with the ID Crozz concept, so I'm very curious to see how it's production version and the Model Y compare to custom platform BEV CUVs from other manufacturers that take a traditional approach to the rear roofline, like the Bolt EUV.

This is a very good look at what Tesla has done, and why they have done it.

A tall Model 3 is exactly what many were wanting. Beilieve it has 3X the storage space of the 3, while still maintaining a brand familiarity.

The hatch will allow much easier loading and more storage space for hauling stuff and allowing a more adventurous lifestyle. Costco runs will be easier, people can carry their bikes inside as well as camping stuff etc.

Elon has mentioned that they expect to sell more Model Y that all their other cars combined.

Believe it will be a winner...a good looking winner...

It will cost a little more than the 3, and be just a little less efficient, but lots more versatility.