Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mount the 2021 Model 3 19" Sport Wheels on a 2021 Model Y?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wife is purchasing a 2021 Model 3 withthe19" Sport Wheels. I have a 2021 Model Y with the 19" Gemini wheels. I prefer the Model 3 Sport wheels and she doesn't care so I'm hoping I can easily switch these wheel between the cars? Can anyone confirm this is possible?

Wheels yes, tires no.

The Gemini wheels with the stock tires will hit the front steering knuckle on the Model 3, and the Model 3 wheels with the stock model 3 tires would look silly small on the Model Y and throw off the speedometer, and Odometer readings by a significant amount. Since she is getting a new Model 3 you will have the same kind of TPMS, so that is not a problem.

So, just swap the tires on the rims and you will be golden 👍

Keith

• Disagree
Reactions: Rob-70 and Zoomit
Wheels yes, tires no.

The Gemini wheels with the stock tires will hit the front steering knuckle on the Model 3, and the Model 3 wheels with the stock model 3 tires would look silly small on the Model Y and throw off the speedometer, and Odometer readings by a significant amount. Since she is getting a new Model 3 you will have the same kind of TPMS, so that is not a problem.

So, just swap the tires on the rims and you will be golden 👍

Keith
That's good info, thank you. Are the tires all the same size on each model? I thought I read somethin about the front and rear tires being different sizes but AIR, it was on the Performance models. The tire changing complicates things slightly but I can manage that.

That's good info, thank you. Are the tires all the same size on each model? I thought I read somethin about the front and rear tires being different sizes but AIR, it was on the Performance models. The tire changing complicates things slightly but I can manage that.

The performance Y with the Uberturbine wheels have staggered size wheels (21 x 9.5 front 21 x 10.5 rear) and staggered size tires (255/35/21 front 275/35/21 rear), all the other Model Y wheel and tire packages are a "square" setup.

Keith

Reactions: Rob-70
Zoomit:

WTF dude? Facts bother you for some reason? There wasn't a single controversial opinion in my post unless you find the idea that 235/40/19 tires would look "silly small" on the MY. Would you like to thumbs down my factual post about the MYP wheel and tires sizes as well?

Keith

My wife is purchasing a 2021 Model 3 with the 19" Sport Wheels. I have a 2021 Model Y with the 19" Gemini wheels. I prefer the Model 3 Sport wheels and she doesn't care so I'm hoping I can easily switch these wheel between the cars? Can anyone confirm this is possible?
What body color combination do you have? I think the black wheels were introduced to match the 'black' chrome.

One issue with black wheels is that curb rashes are very noticeable !!!

Also I prefer the door handle to match the body color, like the new Model S Plaid are.

Zoomit:

WTF dude? Facts bother you for some reason? There wasn't a single controversial opinion in my post unless you find the idea that 235/40/19 tires would look "silly small" on the MY. Would you like to thumbs down my factual post about the MYP wheel and tires sizes as well?

Keith
The new Ford Mach-E has 225/60R18 and 225/55R19

• Funny
Reactions: Fourdoor
Can anyone confirm this is possible?
Here is the wheel and tire information for each car. It's also available in the respective Owners Manual.

Here are helpful websites to compare the different wheels and tires

You'll find that if you simply swap tires that the 235/40 tires, on the 9.5" width wheel, will be slightly stretched. It's not a lot. I wouldn't do it, but understand that some would find it acceptable.

Perhaps more important is the load rating for the new 19"x8.5" Sport ("Stiletto Refresh") wheels. I don't know their rating. It was not stamped on the interior of the original Sport wheel but may be on the new wheels. The new wheels could easily have a lower load rating than the 19"x9.5" Gemini ("Apollo") wheels, which I think is 900 kg. A lower rating would have safety implications when the vehicle is heavily loaded, which may or may not be a concern to you.

You'll find that if you simply swap tires that the 235/40 tires, on the 9.5" width wheel, will be slightly stretched. It's not a lot. I wouldn't do it, but understand that some would find it acceptable.

Perhaps more important is the load rating for the new 19"x8.5" Sport ("Stiletto Refresh") wheels. I don't know their rating. It was not stamped on the interior of the original Sport wheel but may be on the new wheels. The new wheels could easily have a lower load rating than the 19"x9.5" Gemini ("Apollo") wheels, which I think is 900 kg. A lower rating would have safety implications when the vehicle is heavily loaded, which may or may not be a concern to you.

Very valid point on putting the 235's on a 9.5" wide wheel. If the OP has the tow package the load rating is a possible concern... The wheels I have heard the most concern over are the pre-2021 Model 3 Aero wheels, and even they are really hard to over load if you don't have the tow package.

Keith

PS: This is the ONLY internet forum I have ever encountered where people know the load rating of their wheels, or have any concern about it. Not saying Y'all are wrong... just saying never encountered this anywhere else. I think this may stem from the low profile tire equipped Model 3 bent / broken wheel problems.

PS: This is the ONLY internet forum I have ever encountered where people know the load rating of their wheels, or have any concern about it. Not saying Y'all are wrong... just saying never encountered this anywhere else. I think this may stem from the low profile tire equipped Model 3 bent / broken wheel problems.
Have you owned a heavy vehicle that can tow?
Smaller, lighter cars probably aren't as worried with gross vehicle weight and load ratings. Once you start looking at 5000-5200 lbs of weight, tire and wheel load limits matter.

What body color combination do you have? I think the black wheels were introduced to match the 'black' chrome.

One issue with black wheels is that curb rashes are very noticeable !!!

Also I prefer the door handle to match the body color, like the new Model S Plaid are.
Not a fan of black/grey wheels. When I purchased the MY I asked if I could get the M3 19" sport wheels and of course, no dice. I'm OK with the stock alloy Gemini (remove the hubcap or what ever they call it) and with the Tesla chrome center cap and lug nut covers dress them up a bit. I'll wait and see how I like the sport wheels on the wife's M3 and decide then. Thanks to all for the info and advice.

The model 3 wheels also have an offset of +40 while the Model Y wheels have an offset of +45 for 19 and 20" options.
The calculation is a little more involved since you have to account for the wheel width. Comparing a +40mm offset on an 8.5" width isn't the same as +45mm offset on a 9.5" width.

The change is shown below once you account for the width differences. You gain more clearance on the inner lip from the suspension parts, but you lose clearance over the caliper, and the whole wheel itself sits inward more.
1627866890376.png

Reactions: tdeno and Tony_YYZ