Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

mount to ONLY hold end of home charger?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

yeet

Aug 31, 2019
USA
im looking for something that will hold the end of the tesla charging cable, that i can mount to a wall. there are plenty of "tesla cable organizers" like this on amazon:

610H%2BLq41zL._SL1251_.jpg

but theyre meant to be used to hold the cable as well, so theyre huge.does anyone know of something that is only meant to hold the plug? (basically what is pictured on the left side of the picture, but smaller since i wont be hanging cable on it)

If you know someone with a 3d printer you could print this: Tesla Model S Wall Charger Plug Holder by jakepoz

I was going to suggest the same. Some libraries and other publicly-accessible facilities like makerspaces have 3D printers, too. Note also that there's an "order this printed" link that will take you to some 3D printing services. I've never used one, so I can't recommend a specific service, but you could use that option if you don't have any other access to a 3D printer.

I got one of those 3d printed ones in 2018 and it's great. Sadly, I couldn't find it on ebay now and looking at my purchase history, the 'seller is no longer registered on ebay'

It still did have a hook big enough for a loop or so of cable but I think if you want it to hold really NONE, you'll have to make/buy one that holds the handle turned 90 degrees(flat to the wall)

I got one of these:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07XNYZR9R/

Seemed the "lowest profile" solution since I don't have a lot of space in my garage and didn't want it sticking out. Only had it up a couple days but so far so good.

OK, weird, the listing is gone and replaced with one for XBox Controllers. For the record, I am not using a controller to hold my charger!

• Funny
Reactions: mrau
I got one of those 3d printed ones in 2018 and it's great. Sadly, I couldn't find it on ebay now and looking at my purchase history, the 'seller is no longer registered on ebay'

If you want just about any 3D-printed object for which a design is publicly available and don't own your own 3D printer, you can still get the object in several ways:

• Ask friends or family members who own 3D printers to help.
  • Check around for local resources. Some public libraries and makerspaces have 3D printers, for instance.
  • Use a 3D printing services. The popular Thingiverse site provides an "order this printed" link on all its listings to help you get this done. (Note that I've never used these services, so I can't recommend a specific one.)
  • Buy a 3D printer. At the low end, they're quite cheap -- $150 or so; however, such a cheap 3D printer is likely to be troublesome. They become easier to use and more reliable as you pay more; most $500 units are likely to be decent. OTOH, even $150 is a bit much to pay if you just want a Tesla charge cable holster.

Check Thingiverse for 3D printing designs, including Tesla cable organizers and holsters. There are quite a few such designs there.

https://www.anixter.com/en_us/products/JP75W-L20/PANDUIT/J-Hooks/p/324712 would probably do a really good job with the handle(holding the cord, not the handle). Its opening is 0.75", and the HPWC cable is 0.90", and I'm sure it would fit okay.

Note that I haven't measured the UMC's cable, other than to say its notably smaller than the HPWC cable.

They also make a 1.21" version that I used for guiding my HPWC cable in my garage, and the handle itself might fit nicely in it. I have a bunch left over that I'll likely put on ebay when I get around to it.. I've had them since October 2018.

but theyre meant to be used to hold the cable as well, so theyre huge.does anyone know of something that is only meant to hold the plug? (basically what is pictured on the left side of the picture, but smaller since i wont be hanging cable on it)

They have to be somewhat large in order to be secure.

If you just want to hold the plug, you'll need to do something custom that suits your particular situation. Make use of parts that are not intended for Teslas. A small box or hook, for example.

If you want just about any 3D-printed object for which a design is publicly available and don't own your own 3D printer, you can still get the object in several ways:

• Ask friends or family members who own 3D printers to help.
  • Check around for local resources. Some public libraries and makerspaces have 3D printers, for instance.
  • Use a 3D printing services. The popular Thingiverse site provides an "order this printed" link on all its listings to help you get this done. (Note that I've never used these services, so I can't recommend a specific one.)
  • Buy a 3D printer. At the low end, they're quite cheap -- $150 or so; however, such a cheap 3D printer is likely to be troublesome. They become easier to use and more reliable as you pay more; most $500 units are likely to be decent. OTOH, even $150 is a bit much to pay if you just want a Tesla charge cable holster.

Check Thingiverse for 3D printing designs, including Tesla cable organizers and holsters. There are quite a few such designs there.

I own a 3D printer and wouldn't recommend it to anyone except as a hobby. I consider myself technically inclined and the learning curve was steep. Time required for learning is immense; large prints take min 5 hours.

As to such services, I've priced out a small object on one and it didn't come out cheap. I'd estimate $120+ for the holder.