Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mount Washington Questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Half Dollar Bill

Traveller, teacher, poet, accountant, innkeeper
Oct 19, 2013
Freeport Maine
We're planning a New England trip in June and want to visit Mount Washington with the car. I've got an MS85 with 19" tires. We have a dog, though, so here's my questions:

Do I need to fully charge in Lincoln if I want to drop the "family" off at the cog railway that they'll take to the top while I then drive up the auto road with the dog? I plan to reunite with them at the top and everyone will drive back down.

The railway trip up is supposed to take an hour. How much time will it take me to get to the top once I drop them off and assuming it's more than an hour, is there enough to do at the top so they won't be just sitting around waiting for me?

I realize the weather is a big factor and we'd certainly try to plan the trip for a day where the conditions were favorable, so no need to reiterate that for an answer. And again we're planning a June trip.

Thanks kindly for sharing your experiences.
Bill

I was in the group of nearly 30 Teslas that went up (and down) in the summer of 2015. You can figure 100 rated miles from Lincoln to the cog railway and then to the bottom of the auto road. Then 40 more miles up (which took us less than half an hour staying under 20 MPH), with some of that mileage regained on the way down. Yes, there's plenty to do on top. Driving down was fun; I only touched the brake pedal twice, both times to slow for an ICE in front of me. When you're back down, you can consider adding miles at the chargers at the bottom of the auto road or not.

I've never driven it, but the FAQ says 1/2 hour trip. It's been 20 years since I've done "The Cog," but I remember the trip down being more exciting than the trip up - they may not want to drive down with you (or they may be terrified from the trip up and won't want to go near the train again).

I'm definitely planning a Tesla trip this year. The Kancamagus Highway (rt 112, Lincoln to Conway) is worth a trip while you're there (supercharge in Lincoln at the west end).

New Hampshire Route 112 - Wikipedia