Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mount Washington - The Windiest Place on Earth in my Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thought you guys might enjoy this short youtube video I made yesterday when I took my Model 3 to the top of Mount Washington.

Total trip was 256 miles. Started at 100%, and retuebd home at 10% charge.

When I got to the base of the 6288' mountain, I was at 58% SOC. At the peak, about an 8 miles drive up, the battery dropped to 44%. And on the same road back down, it was able to regen back to 51%. It was more efficient than I was expecting for sure!

Other interesting aspects, I didn't need to touch the brake pedal once!

Thought you guys might enjoy this short youtube video I made yesterday when I took my Model 3 to the top of Mount Washington.

Total trip was 256 miles. Started at 100%, and retuebd home at 10% charge.

When I got to the base of the 6288' mountain, I was at 58% SOC. At the peak, about an 8 miles drive up, the battery dropped to 44%. And on the same road back down, it was able to regen back to 51%. It was more efficient than I was expecting for sure!

Other interesting aspects, I didn't need to touch the brake pedal once!

Went there in 2019. Really cool place. We had a rented X 2016 P90DL that we opted to not take to the top. Did charge out by the red building though and that was nice. Daughter is a weather nerd at 9 so she loved it.

Nice! Was planning to ski Tuckerman Ravine on Memorial Day, but had to go to nephew's graduation instead.

~7%SOC for 16 miles, is not bad, not bad at all! I drove Mt. Evans in Colorado last year, and it was amazing how much regeneration you get. I didn't trust the ABRP prediction!

Looks like you could have activated AP on your way down:
Image 6-17-22 at 1.35 PM.jpeg

Plus, where in New England are you only paying 11c/kWh? Is that including the delivery fee? Cause in Maine, the delivery charge is half our total electric cost.

Last edited:
Nice! Was planning to ski Tuckerman Ravine on Memorial Day, but had to go to nephew's graduation instead.

~7%SOC for 16 miles, is not bad, not bad at all! I drove Mt. Evans in Colorado last year, and it was amazing how much regeneration you get. I didn't trust the ABRP prediction!

View attachment 817786

Plus, where in New England are you only paying 11c/kWh? Is that including the delivery fee? Cause in Maine, the delivery charge is half our total electric cost.

1. I did try to activate AP a few times as you saw. But I must have missed that moment as I was "mostly" trying to pay attention to the road.

I am in Auburn, NH and have NHEC for me electric company. Not many homes have this as their provider

On my TOU meter I believe its 11.1 or 11.8c per kwh to charge at night. I'm getting HUGE savings as I drive upwards of 30k a year

View attachment 817786

Looks like its 11.4c OFF peak and 20.7c ON peak

As a kid, and again in my early 20's I hiked up Mt. Washington. It's a phenomenal place. And the views are phenomenal too, when the weather is clear. The first time I hiked to the summit was in July about 60 years ago. At the top the wind was gusting to 107 mph and the temperature was in the mid-30's, pretty much average conditions. I was with a group of Boy Scouts and we were prepared for this weather but it was a hoot watching people getting out of their cars and off the cog railway, dressed in shorts and not expecting that kind of weather. The second time was in August of 1970 with two friends. The fog was so thick you could barely see 30 feet in front of you. It was wild to see a cog railway locomotive come looming out of the fog as we approached the summit. A year later I tried to ski Tuckerman's Ravine, but one look at he headwall and I knew I was no match for it. I've had my M3 for about 20 months now and have frequently thought about driving up there since I'm now just a bit too old to hike up. A tip for anyone who wants to hike up: There is a trail head on route 2 near Randolph. That trail will take you to Madison Hut. Spend the night there, either outside or in the AMC facility there (nowadays, you'll need a reservation I think), then the next day take the trail from there to Mt. Adams, Mt Jefferson and finally to Mt. Washington, and from there hike down into Tuckerman's Ravine and route 16. You'll need two cars for this, one that you leave at Tuckerman's and one that you leave at the trailhead on route 2.