Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mountain Pass Comfort Coilovers, + (almost) the full suite of Mountain Pass Suspension Parts, Installed by European Auto Source on a Model Y P

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey everyone. I just had a great experience with European Auto Source doing the install of a bunch of parts from Mountain Pass. I am no way affliated with the company, I just had a stellar experience, and they provided me with these awesome photos from the install. Entire install took about 3-4 hours. I found them through Mountain Pass' website as an authorized installer, and found they were nearby to me.
I give the install quality and company as a whole a 10/10, if you're looking to get a suspension install done on your Model Y in SoCal I can't recommend this shop highly enough.

-MountainPass Performance - Comfort Adjustable Coilovers
-MountainPass Performance - Arastradero Rear Camber Arms
-MountainPass Performance – Cyber Rear Traction Arms
-MountainPass Performance - Solid Front Lower Control Arm Bearings

A quick review before I dump the photos. I have only driven about 15 miles as I had a friend drive the car home while I drove my ICE car with a manual transmission, so I didn't get to feel the before and after. But they said after the drive there and the drive back, back to back, the difference was extremely dramatic. The 15 miles or so I drove, I would agree, and I consider myself to be much more attuned to changes in a car's handling dynamics as I have owned many performance cars, and modified them, tracked them, etc.

For sure over imperfect road surfaces the coilovers soak up a lot of the imperfections and turn them into little blips, where on the stock Model Y P suspension you could feel every imperfection enter the cabin and into your body. Over major imperfections, the "bump" is much less pronounced, and lasts far shorter. It's a bump, and then it's over, and the car returns to full composure.

I have yet to drive the car hard through corners, or even put commuting miles on it, so I'll report back on steering wheel from the spherical front bushings to see if steering feel has been improved, and the rear suspension gear to see if acceleration steering consistency has improved as Mountain Pass claims.

Will need at least a week of driving before it's time for an alignment, which I will need as I did drop the car by 1.25" per the owner of European Auto Source's recommendation, and I think it looks fantastic with that drop on the 19" wheels. I'd say for sure the car will be a bit more aerodyanic on the freeway, but I've really lost next to no useable ground clearance.

I don't know exactly what compression and rebound settings they set the dampers to, but they set it to basically what Mountain Pass recommends on initial install, so I have plenty of room to play with for more stiff or more compliant, if I feel the need.

Anyway, onto the pics of these sexy components.

52083241500_f010c2d86c_o.jpg

52082749321_ea9bec9c1e_o.jpg
52082987509_871b0d61c0_o.jpg
52083241625_5b7e5e93b9_o.jpg
52081715967_6bd79d7026_o.jpg
52081715987_b5586e9b5b_o.jpg
52083241765_60a066be10_o.jpg
52082749546_683bee72ea_o.jpg

52082767093_f1b36dfeb0_o.jpg

Last edited:
We follow what MPP publishes on their recommended specs here, lowering height varies by personal preference: MPP Coilover Installation Instructions - Mountain Pass Performance

Model Y Comfort Adjustable Coilovers AWD – Initial Setup:

FRONT:
FRONT SPRING PERCH OFFSET: START AT: 55mm
FRONT COMPRESSION: 12 (Clicks open from full stiff)
FRONT REBOUND: 12 (Clicks open from full stiff)
FRONT RIDE HEIGHT: 395mm (Hub to Fender)

REAR:
REAR SPRING PERCH OFFSET: 16mm (this is the gap between the bottom of the spring perch and the top of the body – see photo)
REAR COMPRESSION: 10 (Clicks open from full stiff)
REAR REBOUND: 8 (Clicks open from full stiff)
REAR RIDE HEIGHT: 395mm (Hub to Fender)

SUGGESTED COMFORT SETTINGS:
FRONT COMPRESSION: 14 (Clicks open from full stiff)
FRONT REBOUND: 14 (Clicks open from full stiff)

REAR:
REAR COMPRESSION: 14 (Clicks open from full stiff)
REAR REBOUND: 14 (Clicks open from full stiff)

Good chatting with you, enjoy the new MPP setup. Looking forward to getting your E46 M3 tuned up as well.

Looks really good with the 19s lowered. Thanks for posting this.
Glad to help! I agree.

Now I've got the best of all the worlds. Low unsprung mass, increased efficiency and range, and supreme comfort and handling, in a Model Y P package.

I've driven a long range on 19's, and this car now handles and rides dramatically better. I haven't even played with the compression or rebound and have yet to get an alignment, so I still feel there is more left on the table.

Glad to help! I agree.

Now I've got the best of all the worlds. Low unsprung mass, increased efficiency and range, and supreme comfort and handling, in a Model Y P package.

I've driven a long range on 19's, and this car now handles and rides dramatically better. I haven't even played with the compression or rebound and have yet to get an alignment, so I still feel there is more left on the table.
Thank you for your review of both our parts and the installation! Those glamor shots look incredible, I might have to use a few for our social media posts ;)

I hope you enjoy your MPP Model Y for many years to come and thank you again for your support!!

Thank you for your review of both our parts and the installation! Those glamor shots look incredible, I might have to use a few for our social media posts ;)

I hope you enjoy your MPP Model Y for many years to come and thank you again for your support!!
I'm sure @tom @ eas wouldn't mind. And I don't mind either.

Thanks for developing awesome products, they have transformed the car. And thanks to EAS for the awesome service.

Reactions: tom @ eas
May I ask if you had researched parts from other providers before settling on MPP? Just wondering because I'm contemplating this also for my arriving MYP, and a friend of mine has an Ohlins setup from Redwood Motor Sports that he loves.

Thanks, and beautiful ride!

May I ask if you had researched parts from other providers before settling on MPP? Just wondering because I'm contemplating this also for my arriving MYP, and a friend of mine has an Ohlins setup from Redwood Motor Sports that he loves.

If you have the extra cash, go Ohlins, otherwise MPP best.

Yes I did. I considered the Redwood Motorsports Ohlins and the Unplugged Performance ones.

The main alternative I considered was the mountain pass rear camber arms and traction arms with the Redwood Coilovers, but decided that the Mountain Pass are built with KW dampers, I was happy with the quality and price and the balance between price vs performance worked best for me.

I have yet to drive one on the Redwood, and I’ve got an offer from a Bay Area driver with a car with them installed that I’ll test back to back with mine.

It’s still a tremendous jump from stock. I’ll be raising the car a hint as my mud flaps scrape on certain deep pits in the road and on the worst of the potholes, so just a bit too low for me, but even at this ride height, it’s so much better than stock.

Keep in mind I’m also on 19” wheels, which made an immediate massive dramatic difference from the 21” Uberturbines.

Reactions: PeteOC
RIPmyAMG: "I have yet to drive one on the Redwood, and I’ve got an offer from a Bay Area driver with a car with them installed that I’ll test back to back with mine."

Please post your observations when you have a chance to try the Ohlins setup side-by-side with the MPP.