Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mountain pass performance coil overs - do I need a lift kit?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

sleepydoc

Aug 2, 2020
Minneapolis
I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on the Mountain Pass Performance comfort coil overs and I'm trying to figure out if I should get the lift kit as well. My sole goal is fixing the awful ride and making it more comfortable. I'm not interested in dropping the car at all. Living in MN I'd rather have the clearance for snow storms. From what I understand, the MPP coil over kit allows you maintain the factory height but it puts it close to the limit of the springs. The question I have is if it would be better to have a lift kit and put the springs closer to the middle of their range.

I don't think springs are really the limiting factor. Sure if you run out of threaded damper body to keep raising the perch then you'd need taller or firmer springs to sit higher. But regardless of the springs, at some point you will use up too much damper extension and not have enough left for droop travel. I believe - could be wrong! - that dictates the stated height limitation for most coilovers.

No spring change will fix that. That's when you need either a longer travel damper (if you want more suspension travel with your lift), or suspension spacers like the MPP lift kit (if you just want more ground clearance and don't care about getting extra travel from it). Note, a longer damper body without extra travel would be equivalent to spacers.

Of course even with long travel dampers or suspension spacers, go too high and you'll end up with bad angles for your axles or control arms or such. MPP's 1.75" lift kit page says they think that's the maximum safe height for a Model Y without modifying those things. Presumably they mean 1.75" above MLYR height for that limitation.

That's my understanding at least. I'm really just a beginner when it comes to this stuff.

Give MPP a call. The designers of both are the best ones to ask this question. Let them know what you want out of the far without specifying kits or parts. They are EXCELLENT with customer service and will tell you the best product for your needs, even if it means theirs is not it.

Reactions: tm1v2 and sleepydoc
I emailed Mountain Pass Performance and got a very helpful answer:

The coilovers will have a maximum height that is just slightly taller than the MYP, but slightly lower than your MY LR. Can you spare a 1/4" of ride height? If not, I would suggest either installing taller tires (if you don't have winter tires yet, this could be a great opportunity) or installing the lift kit in conjunction with the coilovers.

Just as an example, here is our shop MYP with the coilovers and lift kit installed, in "winter mode":

20201211_162248.jpg

19x8.5+38 with 245/55/19 tires. This is the absolute tallest tire you can use as it can just barely touch the wheel well at full steering lock.
Will it compromise the performance of the coilovers at all to have them set at their limit?
Not at that maximum height setting that we have in our instructions! If you go beyond that, you'll notice a dropoff in comfort as you'll be reducing the available droop (extension travel) of the dampers. You'll also have a hard time adjusting the perches even higher than our highest recommended setting, so there isn't really a chance of that happening accidentally.
Impressed with the customer service of MPP. Now I just have to save the $4k to get them installed!

• Helpful
Reactions: jmaddr and tm1v2
I emailed Mountain Pass Performance and got a very helpful answer:

Will it compromise the performance of the coilovers at all to have them set at their limit?

Impressed with the customer service of MPP. Now I just have to save the $4k to get them installed!
BTW I've got the mpp coilovers, 1.75" lift kit, and a set of Toyo 255/55R19. That was a year and 20k miles ago. We are super happy. No rubbing issues and looks cooler than the 245s IMO.

I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on the Mountain Pass Performance comfort coil overs and I'm trying to figure out if I should get the lift kit as well. My sole goal is fixing the awful ride and making it more comfortable. I'm not interested in dropping the car at all. Living in MN I'd rather have the clearance for snow storms. From what I understand, the MPP coil over kit allows you maintain the factory height but it puts it close to the limit of the springs. The question I have is if it would be better to have a lift kit and put the springs closer to the middle of their range.
Stock height go Ohlins. That's the beauty of a dual height adjustable body!

BTW I've got the mpp coilovers, 1.75" lift kit, and a set of Toyo 255/55R19. That was a year and 20k miles ago. We are super happy. No rubbing issues and looks cooler than the 245s IMO.
Interesting. I understood 29.5” is the maximum at front without rubbing. Are you sure you have 255/55R19? Many guys put R18 with 255/55.
Did you use wheel spacer as well? Is it naMYP or a LR? Cheers