Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry, suspension n00b here - the coilovers reduce the ride height the amount you want, but don't help with the alignment issues, right? I'd like to lower my 3, but not to the extent that I have alignment issues. Of course, it sounds like the adjustable arms would fix that issue, but I am willing to spend a few hundred to lower the car, not $1000+.

Sorry, suspension n00b here - the coilovers reduce the ride height the amount you want, but don't help with the alignment issues, right? I'd like to lower my 3, but not to the extent that I have alignment issues. Of course, it sounds like the adjustable arms would fix that issue, but I am willing to spend a few hundred to lower the car, not $1000+.

Unfortunately the Model 3 comes with no camber adjustment whatsoever. So while the car doesn't have that much rear camber to begin with, you can get away with lowering the car a small amount (maybe 10mm) without any other changes, but beyond that you really need coilovers designed with more travel in mind or the ride becomes very harsh as you start to engage the factory bump stop over every bump.

The factory dampers have only about 15mm of travel before they hit the bump rubber, and from the time that is hit the total spring rate increases quite quickly.

And much lower than 10mm and you start to need to correct the rear camber.

It sounds like there is a good bit of demand for a "comfort" line of coilovers, so that is likely something we will be putting into our first production run. These will likely be a non-adjustable setup that is more cost effective for those who just want the car to be low and comfortable.

We'll be taking pre-orders however as I really don't like the idea of gambling with what you guys want. So whoever is willing to put down a small refundable pre-order will really help us gauge how many of each setup we should build on our first batch.

You can shoot over an email to info@mountainpassperformance to leave your pre-order for the coilovers.

Also I'm excited to announce that our suspension arms went out to production today - they are still on sale until the end of the month so if you haven't ordered a set yet now is your change to save $55 per set!

Our webstore should work but if you have any issues ordering just shoot us an email and we will get it sorted out!

• Informative
Reactions: davidc18
Glad to hear all of this. I'm looking to lower the car about 1.5" but retain (at least roughly) its default ride and tire life. If you have an adjustable or fixed coilover that delivers on these, you'll have a customer! The Unplugged Performance springs deliver the drop I'd like, but I can't imagine what the alignment would look like given the lack of adjustment on the OEM suspension parts. UP tells me it will be totally fine, but I am having trouble believing it.

The factory dampers have only about 15mm of travel before they hit the bump rubber, and from the time that is hit the total spring rate increases quite quickly.

I know you have been doing some extensive testing and I was curious if you could give us an idea how much more travel your coilovers could provide before hitting the bump stops as compared to stock.

I was surprised to read that the bump stops are engaging at only 15mm of travel and I'm guessing the bump rubber is being hit almost all the time unless you are on a rare smooth road (not in LA) making the suspension feel stiffer than it is!, the stock suspension seems extremely limited on travel and I wonder if that is what is the main problem when confronted with potholes and other larger road irregularities we have here in the Los Angeles area and maybe not as much spring rate/damper stiffness issue?

@RDaneel - That sounds great! We will be in touch for sure, as it sounds like we tick the boxes you're looking for!

@gilscales - I don't have the measurements on hand at the moment, but we have close to 2" more bump stop gap than the factory dampers. Let's just say even when lowered significantly you will only engage the bump rubber overVERY large bumps in the road. We've tuned them to engage mostly under high compression (aka Laguna Seca corksrcew), high speed corners. The factory bump stop must be engaged much earlier as it is trying to control the softer spring, and (my suspicion) keep the chassis up high to prevent irresponsible people from damaging their battery pack.

@vernontwg - Yes! We already have some video footage that shows a number of the steps, but install instructions will be included certainly. They are very easy to install. You do need a good spring compressor for the fronts though, so you'd need to Uber or take your second car to a shop to have them pop off the top hats.

Speaking of a video, we've just released the video of our development trip to California! This gives a peek into what we were working on down there, and there are a few fun nuggets of information and cool technical shots you might enjoy. Man I miss driving the car already!

The good news is we were one of the Canadians to get an invite - so Tesla tells us we are 4-8 weeks out for our own car, which will mean no more expensive trips to California to do development :)

Enjoy the video!

I have never done a suspension mod before and have no idea what I am doing but I am inclined to buy your product just for how helpful you have been in this thread. Keep the info flowing! No I want to lower this thing, don't know how, but found someone I trust to tell me the right thing to do.

@Stable Hombre - email us and we can give you a ballpark. I don't want to post an amount here that ends up being inaccurate in the future, but I can share our current estimate with you via email.

@Blu Angel - That sounds great! Just to clarify in case I have misled anyone - our coilovers are for both front AND rear. This is a complete car set. You can't install coilovers at just one end of the car, it would not ride very nicely! I had someone else ask the same question so I figured it can't hurt to clarify that. Check your private messages :)

@jayhawk3 - Thank you, That is quite a compliment! We certainly will keep the info flowing, and if you find this thread to be informative I really think you'll be in for a nice treat in a few months down the road when we have our own car and really start tearing into it. We have so much to learn, and tuning in general in the electric car community is in such an infancy, that we are really excited to learn and share our discoveries with the community.

Our goal is to be a successful tuning company with these vehicles - but more-so to encourage gas car guys that electric cars are equal to or more fun than gas cars. We can't do that by being secretive and hiding under a rock. We need those in the community to modify their cars, make them desirable and more than anything - beat up on gas cars on the racetrack!

I can't tell you how many people we've converted with our Tesla powered Lotus already this year that would have never even considered an electric car. The potential with the Model 3 is many times greater than our Evora because it is so attainable!

Hi All,

I've been assured from our suspension supplier that we're on target with coil-over pricing, but I am still waiting on final costing for the custom springs before I can announce retail pricing. Those that have pre-ordered will get $200 off the retail price, as we've done for everyone that has left a deposit thus far.

I hate to leave you all waiting like this and no doubt it is worse for us. But we'd rather not announce a price that ends up being too low or too high and having to change it after the fact.

But I'm happy to report that the coilovers are being built as we speak, it's just a matter of waiting another 60 days or so now for everything to be completed. We're so excited to get these parts out to you all. Tuning the Model 3 is going to be very exciting times.

Our suspension arms are complete and we've sold out of our camber arms already. We didn't make enough in our first batch! Here are a few photos:

Camber-Arms-2.jpg
Camber-Arms-3.jpg
Camber-Arms-1.jpg

We're still taking orders for suspension arms and our camber arms should be back in stock in 4-5 weeks, just send us an email or order on the website.

I can't tell you all how excited we are as deliveries of the Model 3 have started in Toronto! We have the VIN for our car and it should be arriving in the next couple of weeks. Then it will be straight to the track :)

There are also plans to enter the car in GridLife as soon as we get it - which is happening at Gingerman Speedway June 7-10. So if any of you are in the Chicago / MI area, you should plan to come out! We'll be bringing Blue Lightning as well, so hopefully some of you can make it out! GridLife is a really cool event, it's basically a music festival blended with time attack and drifting. We can't wait to show up with a pile of electric cars and show people just how capable and fun EVs are.

We'll post an event thread about it in the coming week once we have a better idea on when our Model 3 will be arriving.

Sasha,

got home today and the mailman came bearing gifts!

I received your lovely suspension arms and camber arms!
Now waiting for my Tesla 3 which should arrive, possibly with a mass delivery event at the International Centre,
the first week of June.

The Canadian Tesla reservation holders certainly caught a HUGE break with the upcoming planned Tesla slowdown
of delivery to US buyers until the 3rd quarter.

Please keep the development work going with your ever expanding repertoire of quality parts.