Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mountain Pass Performance skid plate sound deadening.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys,

Did the installation of my Mountain Pass Performance front skid plate a couple days ago and figured I would post up the pictures. I drove the front of the car up onto heavy duty ramps, and made sure the car was not only in park, but had the parking brake set. Removing the plastic under tray was pretty easy, made easier by the two nuts in the recessed pockets (rear corner mounts) being loose! I was able to remove them with the socket and extension by hand without putting the ratchet on them. I think these were 15mm. The rest of the bolts are 10mm. I then installed the rubber bumper into the center bolt hole, and installed the two threaded spacers (17mm) onto the rear outer mounting point studs using the blue loctite and torqueing to 33 lb-ft as specified by MPP.

At this point I did the prep work on the new aluminum skid plate. With the plate on my garage floor laid out on the cardboard that it was transported in.

pic 1.jpg

I put the two aluminum spacers on the rear outside mounting holes.

pic 2.jpg

I then placed "Kilmat" sound deadening material over the entire surface of the skid plate, including the aluminum spacers.

pic 3.jpg

I then flipped the skid plate over and trimmed excess sound deadener off with a razor blade tool.

pic 4.jpg

I then used a drill and an old worn out bit to clear all of the sound deadening material from the mounting holes. Now that the skid plate was prepared I was curious what the combination of skid plate and sound deadener weighed, so I pulled out the old bathroom scale... looks like around 13 lbs.

pic 5.jpg

I then rolled back under the car, using a jack stand in the middle of the plate to hold it up while I got the holes lined up and each bolt started. You need a 4mm hex for the small bolts and a 6mm hex for the two large bolts. After everything was lined up I removed each bolt one at a time and coated the threads and underside of the head of the bolt with anti-seize. I then tightened all of the bolts and wiped off the excess anti-seize.

While I was under there I did some minor surgery on the front under tray in front of the passenger side wheel. This section was snagged on a parking curb where the post was sticking up higher than the surface of the parking curb itself not long after I had purchased the car but I never got around to mending it.

pic 6.jpg

There is no increase in road noise, and after a week or so I will put the car back up on the ramps and check that all of the bolts are still tight.

Later,

Keith

Weird mine did not come with those spacers. There were 2 washers that went near the back to make the plate flush with the battery pac. I did not use sound deadening but I don’t think it makes noise.if it does you can’t hear it over the road noise. Nice write up.

But no discernible decrease in road noise?
On stock sized 20” wheels, with 500tw all season tires, we noticed zero difference in noise without sound deadening the skidplate.

Car has all MPP front bushing/arm and all but one rear arm (traction). It’s also sitting on MPP Sport coilovers.

In my opinion, you would benefit more from removing your front and rear carpet and placing the dynamat/fatmat/sound absorption material on those panels. Try sitting in your backseat and stomping your feet like a toddler. You have your own bass drum.

Reactions: Georgesb2