Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mountain Pass Performance Smash Me Plate - Review + Install

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is review is being wrote from the perspective of a stanced and slammed Tesla owner but the fact that I had to change this has no correlation with the fact that I am low (air suspension). I noticed running the air conditioner forever out of habit that the condensation has to pool somewhere and alas it’s on top of the plate which eventually deteriorates the material. If you’ve ever looked under the front of your car you’ll see that the factory skid plate is more of a felt cardboard and isn’t going to protect you from anything. I am aware that this is probably due to aerodynamics and performance but is incredible lacking.

Less than a year of ownership in and here I am. Half a “skid plate” gone so it was time to upgrade. Went directly to Mountain Pass Performance and bought their Smash Me Plate for $295 before tax and shipping. Got it in less than a week but took me a month to install because I’m lazy.

Changing out the old plate requires only 10% of your brain and 100% safety awareness . Your order will come with 3 spacers and screws as well as the plate.
You’ll need the following tools:
10mm socket
15mm socket
17mm socket
Jack stands/car ramp or a lift if you’re rich
A jack or two

Install instructions:
Lift car
Unbolt 10 bolts (8 10mm, 2 15mm)
Drop the old plate
Put middle and two back side spacers in (They’ll screw into existing holes/screws that you’ll figure out easily)
Lift MPP plate up and bolt it in
You can use the screws MPP provides or use the original ones from your car. Torque everything down and you’re good to go.

This thing is thick and sturdy and can probably handle whatever you run over. I live in Los Angeles so things are unpredictable on the highway and this gives me a huge peace of mind.

If you have questions DM me on Instagram @k2tesla
🙂

. This was incredibly easy. If I can do it, you can too!

Attachments

• 270050072_10158679021207857_1617028300233952291_n.jpeg
    270050072_10158679021207857_1617028300233952291_n.jpeg
    71.3 KB · Views: 336
  • 270208281_10158679021097857_6668516441628042060_n.jpeg
    270208281_10158679021097857_6668516441628042060_n.jpeg
    264.9 KB · Views: 265
  • e12kj3uhyu12.png
    e12kj3uhyu12.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 279
Thanks for sharing. Looks good.

I had considered getting one of these and do feel the OEM felt plates are a bit lacking, depending on one’s driving habits/environment.
However, after about 2 1/2 years of ownership/driving, my OEM felt plates are still in great shape (actually, they’re pretty much in the same condition now, as when I took delivery of the vehicle). I’ll probably purchase/install some type of aftermarket skid plate at some point, but not likely in the near future.

Changing out the old plate requires only 10% of your brain and 100% safety awareness…
Haha, this has to be a contradiction. I think 99% of the population requires at least 100% of their brain to approach/get 100% safety awareness. Actually, even at 100% brain capacity, I think some folks have trouble achieving 10% safety awareness!! 🤣

Thanks for sharing. Looks good.

I had considered getting one of these and do feel the OEM felt plates are a bit lacking, depending on one’s driving habits/environment.
However, after about 2 1/2 years of ownership/driving, my OEM felt plates are still in great shape (actually, they’re pretty much in the same condition now, as when I took delivery of the vehicle). I’ll probably purchase/install some type of aftermarket skid plate at some point, but not likely in the near future.

Haha, this has to be a contradiction. I think 99% of the population requires at least 100% of their brain to approach/get 100% safety awareness. Actually, even at 100% brain capacity, I think some folks have trouble achieving 10% safety awareness!! 🤣
LOL you’re right I retract my statement in the 10% brain thing 😂

Not sure why mine burned thru so quick. I ran a/c quite a bit and noticed the pooling for a while and thought that’s probably the cause. When I took apart the felt plate im quite surprised but how easily j was able to just bend and break it.

Regardless, thanks for the comment. Cheers to another owner :)

Reactions: GreenHokie
After reading the forums and running over a couple snow plowed boulders, I finally decided to install the Mountain Pass Smash Me plate on my model 3.
Ever since I lowered the car, and then lowered again :) I've been nervous about running over things. Finding out that the battery coolant line nipple is part of the $16,000 battery and can't be separately replaced made me even more nervous. I've been lucky so far, but why not get some added assurance?
The only issue I had with the install is that the kit needs to supply some different washers for a couple of the bolts in back. The heads are too small for the openings. They supply some thick washers, but they say to use those as spacers for the front of the plate, which seems totally unnecessary for model 3. Luckily I already had some thin stainless washers to use... For more details:

i'm a fan of the black plates :)